SOA Questions

So I am finally doing the SOA rear, and I got the Mopar spring pads (as mentioned in another post, my cost $7.50). The center hole in the spring pad is kind of big, and I am wondering if the head of the bolt (the bolt that holds the pack together) is supposed to be about the same size as that hole (to keep the rear axle tracking straight).

And since I am putting in a 9", should I upgrade the diameter of the new u bolts?

Brian

The center hole in the spring pad is kind of big, and I am wondering if the head of the bolt (the bolt that holds the pack together) is supposed to be about the same size as that hole (to keep the rear axle tracking straight).

I had that problem when i relocated the perches on my YJ. I'm sure someone sells spring pack bolts that have a big head on them. But i just turned a piece of round bar stock in a lathe to make a "spacers" then i brazed them into the big hole on the perches

I bought some the other day but the head of the tie bolt was bigger than stock. But I didn't get MJ ones, just some the same diameter. For some reason O'rielly's can't look it up by application, or just don't know how to. I'm using box steel for perches so it's no biggie. 8)

I used grade 8 allen head on mine so it was round and fit nice and tight.

Cole

Ditto.

ditto ditto

I went to Husky spring today and that's what they gave me. The gap is within 1/8 inch I may try to find a tube or bushing to put in there, but if I can't find one, I am just going to use it as is.

ok next question: what diameter is a 9" axle tube (the answer is not 9") off a 79 Bronco (I am thinking 3.25 inches or close). The 3" u-bolts did not fit.

the top plate is going to be made out of 3/8 steel, I think that is strong enough.

Um, yes? :oops: I don't recommend it. It was supposed to be temporary but it's held up so far (and the plates were welded to the axle before the trip to Moab). The Bronco pads are there underneath the shock pads and the shock pads bridge the gap. The proper procedure would have been to remove the Bronco pads and weld on new ones, but oh well. :dunno:

lol No problem, I was just curious. I need to find a way to mount my shocks at the bottom too. I thought about welding a bolt to the side of the box steel spring perch. I need to figure it out kinda quick, it's gotta be moved soon and it'd be alot easier with back tires on it. 8)