What do you think?

Automan2164

Been driving by a '91-'92 Eliminator that was sitting in the weeds for a couple of weeks now. Lo-and-behold, it came out of the weeds today-With a for sale sign. Stopped and looked, turns out to be a '91 4.0L HO, AX15 2wd Build date, 8-90. 181,000 on it. Someone put leather XJ buckets in, which were comfortable as all getout. Floors are shot, rockers are gone, sub-frame is save-able, bed is toast as is the tailgate. Guy wants $500. But, it runs like crap. Owner said he just put in a junkyard '93 XJ pump, and swears up and down once the fuel filter is changed, it will run better. It acts as if its starved for fuel. It pops and snaps when revved, and once under load driving in gear, starts to sputter out around 2000-3000 RPM. Runs great at idle, but I think that JU pump was crap. Anywho here are some pictures:

So, what would you guys do? I called a couple CC members, but they said exactly what I did, which was buy it. In my opinion, if it was a strong runner, I would, but I really don't need another project. I just want something I can drive. If I were to get it, being that I already have a 4wd comanche in the stable, I would lower this one, flat black it, black rims, and fix the rust. Then just make it a mean street ripper. But, what do y'all think? Should I even mess with it?

Rob L.

I'd probably show up with a fuel filter in my hand (and 500 in my pocket) and offer to change it for him. Mostly because I'd love to see his reaction when I call his bluff. If the new filter doesn't fix it, I'd offer $400. Could be any number if issues causing the sputtering.

I'd probably show up with a fuel filter in my hand (and 500 in my pocket) and offer to change it for him. Mostly because I'd love to see his reaction when I call his bluff. If the new filter doesn't fix it, I'd offer $400. Could be any number if issues causing the sputtering.

He has the filter in the garage, and is going to change it. If he changes it, and finds out that it still didn't fix it, I was going to offer $100 to get it out of his hair.

I think what you need to ask yourself is... do you wanna chance it going to the crusher and that being on your conscience?

:shake: It won't go to the crusher, but I REALLY REALLY don't have the room for another MJ. I already had to move my project because of the city... I can't just get another one unless its a good runner.

Rob L.

If you properly licensed your junk, would the city back off somewhat?

Yep. But Physically, I DO NOT have the room. I "techically" have a 4 car driveway. BUT the last 2 cars get parked across the sidewalk. That is a ticketable offense. I have the two XJ's in the garage, and had the MJ in the driveway. The ZJ or the GF's 'yota would always be across the sidewalk. Now the MJ is on a farm out of town. I would pick this one up and liscense it, but with having to fix the ZJ also, I really don't have the time or space for another project. If this one ran great, and I could drive this and take my time with the ZJ, no prob. I just don't want to pick it up and it turn out to be a basket case, and the fuel pump isn't really the thing thats shot, and I have another crap vehicle in my driveway.

Rob L.

you'd be a fool not to. good plan if the filter doesn't fix it.

if it doesn't fix it and you get it cheap, bring it over here, it can sit here for a short time and we can get it running good.

Thanks for the offer Dave. I will keep in touch with the owner. I left a business card with my name and number if he decides to give up, gets it running great, or can't get it right.

The girlfriend is also not helping. She told me to get it. She stopped saying that once we took it for a ride, and saw how it was running...

We will find out I guess. Hopefully he calls me back and just wants to get rid of it.

Rob L.

Lets see....

The RE XJ didn't sell...

You find yet another MJ that really needs work...

It has the buckets I told you were comfortable...

You don't need another project...

Angela told you to buy it....

The owner is a moron... but cash would talk...

And its not in your driveway why??? :D

There are MJs out there that aren't basket cases? :eek:

Yeah, and you should know Pete. :D There are plenty of rust free MJ "projects" down south sitting in fields w. easily fixable mechanical issues. And Rob, I'd much rather have mechanical issues than a rust bucket w. incurable body cancer. And it's best feature is the non-original buckets? As much as it hurts to say this, and since you asked for advice, I wouldn't waste my time on it mate. :roll: