SOA vs SUA (fixed)

I'm currently installing the front half on my 3.5" RE lift on the front of my MJ. I'm looking for the best way to match the rear to the front. I plan on towing a relatively small trailer with two sport ATV's on it occasionally. Would it be best to go with a SOA and try to do away with a little of the lift or simply go with lift springs and keep the SUA configuration?

I'm wondering why you seem to think you need 4" of lift to run 31" tires when I'm running 31x10.50s on an '88 XJ with the original suspension that has 283,000 miles on it. The MJ has more clearance in the rear than the XJ so 31s should be no problem whatsoever.

Especially if you tow, lift seems to me to be a rather bad idea.

I'm wondering why you seem to think you need 4" of lift to run 31" tires when I'm running 31x10.50s on an '88 XJ with the original suspension that has 283,000 miles on it. The MJ has more clearance in the rear than the XJ so 31s should be no problem whatsoever.

Especially if you tow, lift seems to me to be a rather bad idea.

What's a bad idea is the people I see at High rock towing a 22' pontoon boat with a stock XJ. The question wasn't about stuffing a big tire under the truck it was about matching the front to the rear. I understand the limitations of towing/hauling with a lifted vehicle, I've towed the above mentioned trailer for over 3 years with my XJ without any issues, and my XJ is actually sitting higher than the MJ ever will be.

Don't know if it will help or not, but here are a few pics from my build showing a set of RE 4.5" (new) with SOA in the rear with 4wd leafs. I ended up swapping out the front coils to a 6.5" coil to make it sit leval and fit the 35's.

Like I said, don't know if it will help as they are on sloped ground and I've trimmed the rear and put on TJ flares. The tires are a set of 31" rollers to just move it around. It was during the build so not close to being done but figured it may give you an idea at least...

100_1382.jpg

100_1383.jpg

100_1384.jpg

EDIT: Here is a better pic sitting on more level ground.

100_1392.jpg

Don't know if it will help or not, but here are a few pics from my build showing a set of RE 4.5" (new) with SOA in the rear with 4wd leafs. I ended up swapping out the front coils to a 6.5" coil to make it sit leval and fit the 35's.

Like I said, don't know if it will help as they are on sloped ground and I've trimmed the rear and put on TJ flares. The tires are a set of 31" rollers to just move it around. It was during the build so not close to being done but figured it may give you an idea at least...

It does help, that's a lot more lift than I'm looking for. Appreciate the pics. :thumbsup:

Depending on what perches you use, spring over will lift you anywhere between 5.5" and 7" over what you currently have.

Height of current perches

plus diameter of axle tube

plus height of new perches

plus thickness of spring pack

Marcel

I used XJ shackles to lower the rear a half inch, which leveled it out nicely.

any downside to this, like lack of travel/articulation? i've been considering this when i do the soa, in order to keep from having to lift the front 8 feet in the air to level it out.

I used XJ shackles to lower the rear a half inch, which leveled it out nicely.

any downside to this, like lack of travel/articulation? i've been considering this when i do the soa, in order to keep from having to lift the front 8 feet in the air to level it out.

I haven't noticed anything yet. But I'm holding on to the MJ shackles, just in case. ;)

BTW, good to see you over here Justin.

Not that I know of. By this point in time, the condition of the leafs matters a lot. I swapped out my old rusty 2wd leafs for a rust-free pair from FL and got an inch of lift. :dunno:

While we're on the subject, to help battle the springwrap I added a second MJ main leaf to my packs by cutting off the eyes and placing it directly below the main in the new pack.

Oh, and Explorer leafpacks can also work. They sit a bit lower than even 2wd MJ packs. But you must reuse your MJ main leaf and re-drill it to accept the slightly larger Explorer center bolt.

4wd MJ on the left, 2wd in the middle and Explorer on the right:

I tried XJ shackles when I first went SOA. When the axle is drooped fully down (as when the rear come off the ground), the shorter shackle is so far forward that when weight comes back on the axle the shackle flips up in the forward position -> bad!

I tried XJ shackles when I first went SOA. When the axle is drooped fully down (as when the rear come off the ground), the shorter shackle is so far forward that when weight comes back on the axle the shackle flips up in the forward position -> bad!

this is something i was concerned about. i've seen that happen on a cj once.

Depending on what perches you use, spring over will lift you anywhere between 5.5" and 7" over what you currently have.

Height of current perches

plus diameter of axle tube

plus height of new perches

plus thickness of spring pack

Marcel

Great info. Looks like the SOA is more than I need/want. I've heard good things about HellCreek on here, and they have a 4.5" SUA pack. That's the route I'll most likely take. You're right, by the way, I test fit one on the 265's (31.8") on the back, and there is more than adequate room