MJ camper

Automan2164

that looks pretty cool, but instead of moving the cab back he couldve jus gone south of the border and bought himself a 4 door ranger, it looks pretty close to what he has jus with a door instead of a panel, and wouldve probably been easier, but so that we can stay on the topic of comanches, i wish they had more pics of the comanche, it looks pretty sick jamminz.gif

that looks pretty cool, but instead of moving the cab back he couldve jus gone south of the border and bought himself a 4 door ranger, it looks pretty close to what he has jus with a door instead of a panel, and wouldve probably been easier, but so that we can stay on the topic of comanches, i wish they had more pics of the comanche, it looks pretty sick jamminz.gif

They make 4 door rangers?

Mexican 4 door ranger:

http://www.ford.com.mx/vehicles/gallery ... ection=EXT

There are tons of stuff made in mexico not seen in the us. Like the Dodge Ramcharger... They continued making them in MX. :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAyAI8DlxVM

http://www.angelfire.com/pa2/MattInTheH ... arger.html

Rob L.

Mexican 4 door ranger:

There are tons of stuff made in mexico not seen in the us. Like the Dodge Ramcharger... They continued making them in MX. :

Rob L.

yup ive seen them both, when i started driving i wanted a standard, 4x4, 4 door ranger with the diesel engine they come with, at the time my buddy had a durango, and he wanted the newer version of the ram charger(2 door durango)

2w3591i.jpg

30rmcfk.jpg

264t7rt.jpg

n6ujo1.jpg

Mexican 4 door ranger:

Rob L.

yup ive seen them both, when i started driving i wanted a standard, 4x4, 4 door ranger with the diesel engine they come with, at the time my buddy had a durango, and he wanted the newer version of the ram charger(2 door durango)

2w3591i.jpg

30rmcfk.jpg

264t7rt.jpg

n6ujo1.jpg

Thats all fine and dandy, but there are los of logistical problems in getting a vehicle in from mexico.

Thats all fine and dandy, but there are los of logistical problems in getting a vehicle in from mexico.

not really, I don't know all the details but it is possible, i was going to buy a mini cooper pickup truck down there and was plannin on bringing it up, i know its alot of paper work and you have to be able to pass emissions up here, at least that was what my mom did when she moved up here 28 years ago, and my uncle jus brought up my great uncles ford galaxie from mexico city all the way up to ohio and I'm pretty sure he has it registered and everything up here, but who knows it mightve changed since then

not really, I don't know all the details but it is possible, i was going to buy a mini cooper pickup truck down there and was plannin on bringing it up, i know its alot of paper work and you have to be able to pass emissions up here, at least that was what my mom did when she moved up here 28 years ago, and my uncle jus brought up my great uncles ford galaxie from mexico city all the way up to ohio and I'm pretty sure he has it registered and everything up here, but who knows it mightve changed since then

Your two examples have no relivance to importing a new vehicle.

Any vehicle 25 years old needs no considerations when importing them.

But any new vehicle, there is a plethora of things that you are going to run into when trying to import one.

The easiest way to get around that is to import the body and the drivetrain separately.

The benefit of mexico being someplace you can drive is that you could possibly buy a vehicle there, and drive it back over the border without a bunch of problems.

However you will have problems when you goto title that vehicle in the US. This is where it gets tricky, you can go through the same process as you would if you imported a vehicle separate from the drive train, or just use an existing US title like you would have for the ford ranger you already own.

There's a reason you don't see diesel XJ's, and diesel JK's, diesel smart cars, diesel town and country's, gasoline twin turbo 300zx's etc etc. The process ain't easy and its a lot to risk. To top it off the whole thing is a logistical nightmare waiting to happen.

Your two examples have no relivance to importing a new vehicle.

Any vehicle 25 years old needs no considerations when importing them.

But any new vehicle, there is a plethora of things that you are going to run into when trying to import one.

The easiest way to get around that is to import the body and the drivetrain separately.

The benefit of mexico being someplace you can drive is that you could possibly buy a vehicle there, and drive it back over the border without a bunch of problems.

However you will have problems when you goto title that vehicle in the US. This is where it gets tricky, you can go through the same process as you would if you imported a vehicle separate from the drive train, or just use an existing US title like you would have for the ford ranger you already own.

There's a reason you don't see diesel XJ's, and diesel JK's, diesel smart cars, diesel town and country's, gasoline twin turbo 300zx's etc etc. The process ain't easy and its a lot to risk. To top it off the whole thing is a logistical nightmare waiting to happen.

It looks like there isn't a legal way to import a vehicle from Mexico or anywhere for that matter to be used as a personal import.

http://www.answers.com/topic/grey-import-vehicles

Now for some of illegal ways.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_im ... ted_States

I am not sure if the "lost title" method would work, but it is interesting reading. I remember the "grey market" businesses in the 80's apparently there are subsequent laws to tighten the old grey market loopholes. I have never seen any of those oddly featured "Mexican vehicles" out here in the California Bay Area. Which makes me wonder about the ease of getting them into the U.S.

how all the imported cars get here then? nissan skylines, sylvias, puegeots, citroens diesel xjs you see on ebay every once in a while, etc. it is possible, but like sir sam said its a long, difficult process, back then it used to be a little harder b/c of emissions, but today everything is built to regulations with most countries(all cars come with cats etc.), some amercian cars are even built in other countries and imported here, like dodge for example, one of the biggest plants is in mexico city, now that I'm thinking about it, my aunt brought her 99 accord up here from mx city, she has registered insured, plated, titled, inspected, and everything in san antonio

how all the imported cars get here then? nissan skylines, sylvias, puegeots, citroens diesel xjs you see on ebay every once in a while, etc. it is possible, but like sir sam said its a long, difficult process, back then it used to be a little harder b/c of emissions, but today everything is built to regulations with most countries(all cars come with cats etc.), some amercian cars are even built in other countries and imported here, like dodge for example, one of the biggest plants is in mexico city, now that I'm thinking about it, my aunt brought her 99 accord up here from mx city, she has registered insured, plated, titled, inspected, and everything in san antonio

There are legal ways to import vehicles. Motorex used to import skylines, they had to petition to get them as an acceptible import, showing crash data and emissions data. They also had to modify lights and such to meet US DOT regs.

Motorex then had all sorts of data supporting that they could then import a vehicle, and they were the only Registered importer that could do that. Additionally the supporting documents they had were considered proprietary, so anyone wanting to do what they were doing would not be able to use their research, and would have to prove everything all over again.

It's not as simple as "all cars come with cats." To import on a federal level you need to show compliance with all bits of federal emissions regs(which are never tested fully at the state emissions testing level - ie diesel only get opacity tests, not NOX, CO2 particulate etc emissions).

There are legal ways to import, and thats why you VERY SELDOM see some things for sale. You'll also note they bring huge bucks because they are already imported in the country.

Lots of cars are built in other countries and then shipped here(just look at the first letter of the vin for country of origin), the difference is that it is built the USDM specs for sale here. There are US spec vehicles abroad, and they can be shipped into the US without issue. Some european manufacturers used to offer programs where you could buy your car, pick it up and tour the factory it was built at, and then drive it around in europe for your vacation. Then when you were done you would drop it off at the factory, fly back, and it would be shipped to you like it normally would.

well this got pretty tense, I'm not here to make enemies, I'm here to make friends, i may be wrong but I'm just going by what i know and what my family has expereinced, I'm sorry if portrayed myself as arguin or debating, i didnt mean for it to get out of hand if it did

well this got pretty tense, I'm not here to make enemies, I'm here to make friends, i may be wrong but I'm just going by what i know and what my family has expereinced, I'm sorry if portrayed myself as arguin or debating, i didnt mean for it to get out of hand if it did

No one is making enemies. We are having a discussion that had gotten very far off topic.

No one is making enemies. We are having a discussion that had gotten very far off topic.

ok i was just making sure i wasnt pissing anyone off, you know how these can sometimes get out of hand :cheers:

• 4 weeks later...

Well.. I guess I will drag this thing screaming and kicking back onto topic...

Here is a thread about his MJ build... some really sweet stuff on there.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/s ... hp?t=15684

And some really unbelievably cool pics of how that camper looks from all different angles in this one. Gawd... I wish I had a ton of spare cash..... :drool: :drool:

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showt ... hp?t=25517