5 feet of snow and its almost July

AMCJeepMJ

So, my GF and I were taking some of the back roads and old logging trails around the Central Oregon Cascades this evening in the Escape. We found our way to a Three Creeks Lake (where we go bald eagle spotting in late summer) near Sisters, and as we approached the campsite at the end of the 16 mile long road (of which 11 miles is paved with rough old asphalt), we encoutered snow. Not falling, but unmelted snow on the ground. Five feet of it.

County crews must have been out recently in the past day or two to create a path to the campground only half a mile beyond the roadblock.

Pic at 10 pm with high beams on. Yes, its difficult to see the wet red cinder on the ground of which the 'road' is made.

Elevation: 6500'

huhfgg.jpg

Half of the campground is still blocked with snow. Some parts are over 8 feet still, but the lake is free of ice.

This is very typical at high elevations in the mountains. Often times many of the more popular 4wd passes here in colorado have to be cleared so they can be open for travel in june.

Indeed. Colorado certianly has high Oregon beat for mountains, except Eastern Colorado... it so... Kansas-like. ;)

The century old Highway 242/Old McKenzie Highway which connects Central Oregon to Eugene/Springfield is open, on average, only four months a year due to snow. Excellent twisty road due to hairpins if you have a sporty vehicle.

I'd take that snow over the 90 deg temps and 90% humidity we've been having here in the midwest. ;) For the past week I have had a mini swampland going on in my shorts everyday.

Rob L.

That's an image we needed..... :ack:

A little baby powder and you would be good to go...

The ol Hwy 242, what a blast. It was hard to wait for that to open in Summer. Loved to run it in my RX7's (fat tires, stiff susp) & pegged RPM's or the Z (7's handled better but Z had the power edge), talk about drifting. Make yuh sh--- your pants with the ocassional boulder in the road and no guard rails & 2 way trfc on a skinny road. Actually enjoyed goin up it more than down. Got to where if I mentioned taking a drive on 242 the wife wouldn't even get in the car. Well those days are gone now. But, if you ever try it stop on top for the view of the mountains. On a clear day you can see Mt Shasta (14162) in CA all the way to Mt Rainier (14, 810) in WA & all Mt's in between.

The ol Hwy 242, what a blast. It was hard to wait for that to open in Summer. Loved to run it in my RX7's (fat tires, stiff susp) & pegged RPM's or the Z (7's handled better but Z had the power edge), talk about drifting. Make yuh sh--- your pants with the ocassional boulder in the road and no guard rails & 2 way trfc on a skinny road. Actually enjoyed goin up it more than down. Got to where if I mentioned taking a drive on 242 the wife wouldn't even get in the car. Well those days are gone now. But, if you ever try it stop on top for the view of the mountains. On a clear day you can see Mt Shasta (14162) in CA all the way to Mt Rainier (14, 810) in WA & all Mt's in between.

The highway is, sadly, closed. ODOT is working on resurfacing the western half currently and will close the road for construction from Sisters to the observatory after July 4th. Its expected to be reopened August 15th.

Pics from a trip last year in the Escape:

242aq.jpg

242cl.jpg

242d.jpg

242e.jpg

242b.jpg

I'd take that snow over the 90 deg temps and 90% humidity we've been having here in the midwest. ;) For the past week I have had a mini swampland going on in my shorts everyday.

Rob L.

MY GOD MAN!!! :ack: TMI TMI!!!!! :shake:

I refer to that as Monkey @$$! :rotfl2:

Found this posted on CO4x4.org. Headed there this Sunday. Yahooo!

Last week was rough with the high humidity and 100+ degree heat. Working on an uncovered tractor is rough. Sunblock and lots of water gets your through the day.... Not sure what to think of the short swamp :nuts:

I traveled to Atlanta, GA day before yesterday to deliver some furniture. 95 degrees, humid as all could be, and even the breeze didn't feel nice. Yesterday morning before heading back home the low was 77 and when I left at 9:45am it was up to 83 again already.

Some snow would have felt good.