new compressor

aemsee

Spent a few hours yesterday getting this installed. 60 gallon, 3 horse. Wish it had a bit more HP, but seems to be OK. 11.5 cfm at 40psi and 10 at 90. $399 at Tractor Supply. Definitly better than the oil-less ones from Sears.

I will NEVER buy another oil-less Craftsman compressor again.

Our 10 gal has electrical problems monthly, and our 30 gal at the bog shop has blown the cylinder/piston to pieces 3 times now. Not to mention the unbearable noise. :fs1:

Screw compressor FTW.

:hmm: :dunno:

599441_eftcompressorscrew.jpg

They can push a lot of air, and are super quiet. They also have that nasty habit of lasting a long time.

From what I understand they generally run ~twice as much as a comparable piston compressor. I'd have one if I had money.

Thanks! :thumbsup: . Learned something new today. Kinda like a scroll A/C compressor.

Yes similar, but a little more akin to a turbo compressor wheel.

I kinda wondered why no one ever made scroll type air compressor, might be that its just a new enough design that it hasn't really been implemented for an air compressor.

NICE UNIT!!!

I was in the market some time back, settled on a used unit and it failed. I havent replaced it yet.

Post up how you like it once you get some time with it!!

CW

Will do. I'm rebuilding a '49 Farmall H in that garage so I'll be doing some grinding with an angle grinder. That will give it a workout. Am going to give painting a try as well.

i have a 6 horse craftsman. it's a 33 gallon tank that i've had since '99. it's been great for me and has never given me any problems. it runs any tool i could want and works great for running multiple tools (sometimes i've had 3 running at once). it also puts out great for painting. a couple years back i got rid of my shop and the 80 gallon i had there. i had that at the shop and this one in the garage. so for the last couple years, the craftsman has done it all for me.

i use my compressor alot as well. it is run at least once a day at a minimum year round. i had a smaller 3 horse cambell oilled i had at the club. i always had trouble with it in the below zero temps. i've never had a problem with the oilless. most craftsman ones are made by other companies. mines a devill biss.

for the 3 hp, i wouldn't worry much. a few years back they changed the rating on the electrical motors. your new 3 hp probably puts out like an older 5hp. i'm not sure why they changed it, but they did. :dunno:

Screw compressor FBW.

Fixed it for you.....

FBW... For BIG Wallets.....

Yes.

Though a couple of years back a guy I knew was looking into buying some from thailand(where he worked alot)

We could get 220V compressors(without air tanks) for about $300.

I was ready to do it, but it fell apart and never happened.

You may want to add some rubber wheels or something else to cushion the feet. I've heard of the feet ripping a hole in the tank from all the constant vibrating without something to absorb the shock.

Willy

I have a 5hp 60 gal presser. I have it bolted to a small pallet as I found it quiter than when sitting on/bolted to concrete floor and it still remains semi portable if needed outside the shop. But with a 50' hose I haven't had to move it yet. No more waiting for air to build up when using grinders or painting. Man was that frustrating with those airleess pieces of crap. And yes, airless ones are loud, inefficient, and wearout quickly.

You may want to add some rubber wheels or something else to cushion the feet. I've heard of the feet ripping a hole in the tank from all the constant vibrating without something to absorb the shock.

Willy

Yup, definitly planning on some sort of hard rubber isolators. It isn't bolted down yet as I'm still deciding on what to use. Maybe hockey pucks?

I have a 5hp 60 gal presser. I have it bolted to a small pallet as I found it quiter than when sitting on/bolted to concrete floor and it still remains semi portable if needed outside the shop. But with a 50' hose I haven't had to move it yet. No more waiting for air to build up when using grinders or painting. Man was that frustrating with those airleess pieces of crap. And yes, airless ones are loud, inefficient, and wearout quickly.

How do airless compressors work?