Windshield/Dashboard Bummer

Had the WS replaced yesterday. During the install the "kid" must have been in some kind of hurry and did this.

With this

When I asked the guy about his policy on damage all he said was "sorry...."

Imagine how I felt...POd is saying it kindly. Got my camera,took pics,called his Boss/Dad.

I ended giving 100 bucks for the install, Boss/Dad said he would personally come down here next week to replace my damaged dash with a used one from the JY. When my dash is fixed to my satisfaction then I told him I would pay the remaining balance 135$.

I'm kind of weary of letting them have at my truck again. I offered to call it good on the remaining balance,eat the damaged dash,just so i don't have to let them have at my truck again. Pluses-WS cost 100$ Bucks,Negatives-Damaged dash,although I was going to put a dash cover on it anyway.

Is it going to be very easy for them to change the dash pad?

Or are they tearing into a project/my truck that I might not be happy with the end result?

I'm really worried about ending up with Gremlins or a job that I'm not happy with.

Heck, the only persons work that I'd trust is my own,I really don't think that they could,would,or will work to my level of expectations. Besides they have to travel 110mi each way to do the job,I hardly think that it could be cost effective for them.

I do have to say it does look pretty good with the visor posing,waiting to be installed.

Took the wipers back off cause I still have to repair the linkages with parts from one of the other "Skins"

(Native slang for another Indian) AKA one of the other Cherokees. :rotf:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are going to have to do the whole dash. I wouldn't let them touch it. Get a price for a replacement dash, and add in the labor time (call a local dealership for a quote) and tell them the price. They are obviously not qualified to do a windshield, much less take apart your dash. If they won't pay up, take them to small claims court. They should have insurance for that. There is absolutely no excuse for that butchery. The right amount of media attention and they won't be doing too many more windshields.

Sorry to hear about the idiots and your dashboard.

Taking the dashboard out is not really that hard, just time consuming. You have to remove the trim piece at the base of the windshield, disconnect the wiringharness at the firewall, drop/remove the steering coulmn, remove the 8mm bolts at the top of the pad, under the trim strip, which is held down with Phillipshead screws, and then "roll" the dash to you after you loosen the 15mm bolts on each side, under the dash. Disconnect the vacumn and cables setup for the HVAC system. The dash shuold now be ready to remove.

Overall it is not a difficult process. But to do it right takes paying attention to detail. From their previous butchery I wouldn't trust them. After seeing the care you put in to all of your work, get them to pay up and we can walk you through it easy enough if you have any questions.

I'd like to get them to pay,thing is I gave them 100$ in good will that they will make this right. Now I'm having second thoughts. I can't take the truck to the dealer,wasn't planning for the truck to be on the road till next year,nearest dealer is over a hundred miles away.

Accumulate quotes? Parts and Labor,towing? Threaten to take them to court?

I did tell them I'd "Eat" the Dashboard damage,if they would call the remaining balance even.Although I think it's my right to change my mind,after I've investigated further and seen what I'm up against.

I would tell them that since they didn't even have the skill to install the windshield, that you don't want them to install the dash either. I would tell them that you want to take it to a reputable shop or dealer, and get it fixed on their dime. At least they just didn't brush you off and tell you tough nuts. The fact that they are willing to work with you is a plus, but make sure they do it on your terms.

Rob L.

I'm with automan.

DO NOT let them touch your dash.

I've done at least 10 dash removals/swaps, and it's fairly simple. but it took me awhile to figure it out my first time without wrecking the wiring harness.

it's not just the dashboard that swaps....it's the entire dash assembly. this requires that everything that's in, on, or around your dash must be removed in order to do the swap. that means steering column too (not completely removed, just loosen the upper bolts).

it's not a cake walk. we can show you how to do it here if you would like to tackle it yourself (I would suggest doing it yourself....3 to 5 hours doing it your first time by yourself, and maybe $75 for a dash at the yard).

it's not a cake walk. we can show you how to do it here if you would like to tackle it yourself (I would suggest doing it yourself....3 to 5 hours doing it your first time by yourself, and maybe $75 for a dash at the yard).

Also, in key with the rest of this. If you can, don't buy a dash thats already out. Bring tools to a yard, and pull it yourself. It will make it sooooo much easier when you've never done it. Seeing how it's held in, and how it comes out without thrashing your dash is a good idea. I think the dash should come out with a set of Metric sockets, a phillips, small flatblade or pick(for helping with connector clips), and a flashlight. Its pretty simple once you pop your dash cherry :D . It just gets time consuming when you've never done it before.

Rob L.

15mm socket, short extension, ratchet. this can either be a 3/8 or 1/2 drive. your choice.

phillips screwdriver for all the accessories etc.

flathead screwdriver to pop the wiring harness clips out (unless you have the actual tool for this)

5/16 or 8mm 1/4 drive with several extensions and a ratchet (obviously). you'll also want a swivel. these are the 4 bolts holding the front of the dash in, and can be a PITA.

I'd suggest bringing a cordless drill to perform all screw and front dash bolt removal, with a long phillips bit and a 1/4" socket adapter.

15 to 20 min. and I can have a dash out. 45 min. and I can complete the swap.

They are going to have to do the whole dash. I wouldn't let them touch it. Get a price for a replacement dash, and add in the labor time (call a local dealership for a quote) and tell them the price. They are obviously not qualified to do a windshield, much less take apart your dash. If they won't pay up, take them to small claims court. They should have insurance for that. There is absolutely no excuse for that butchery. The right amount of media attention and they won't be doing too many more windshields.

I agree. They are windshield installers, not dashboard installers. The entire dash has to come out and be replaced as an assembly. There are a LOT of wires and vacuum controls and various "thingies" that can get messed up under there.

"Sorry" is not an acceptable answer. They damaged it, they pay to repair it. But you should have it repaired by a shop that knows how to do it -- which means a dealer, in this case, and if that costs their insurance company a few bucks, too bad for them. Their premiums will go up, but that's the price they pay for being stupid. If they balk, report them to your state's Motor Vehicle Department and Department of Consumer Protection.

If they mess things up under the dash, you'll be chasing gremlins for months if not years. Don't mess around -- play hardball.

repair it yourself though, and pocket any money they are forced to give to you.

go to a dealership and get an estimate for the repair. just because you have an estimate DOES NOT mean that you are forced to have it repaired by a professional. any checks cut to you by the windshield company or their insurance must be cut TO YOU not to a professional repair shop.

what you do with the money is your own business.

just to let you know, though, it will be over $500 to repair, if not more. especially since the estimate will include an OEM dash assembly ($200 by itself, at least, if it's available)

repair it yourself. I'll do a write up for you if you would like. it's not hard, and it's not rocket science. your first time through will probably not be too fast, but it's gonna take less than a day.

Yes, this is how it usually works; provide the parts/labor estimate to whatever insurance company is paying the repair bill, then they cut you a check, especially if your own insurance policy is paying the bill. Unfortunately this did not happen on the wife's recent fender bender. A woman backed into her Malibu in a parking lot, smashing the tail lamp and scratching up the bumper cover. The woman that backed into my wife's car had insurance from a company I had never heard of before, some on-line E-Insurance company, and after I provided the dealer body shop estimate they agreed to pay for 50%, then pay the balance after the dealer provided the final bill to the insurance company. It worked out okay, cost me nothing, and the GM dealer whom I know very well handled and guaranteed everything. Just be sure your glass company's insurance agent is not handling your claim this way before you pocket the check and try to do it yourself. Might be embarassing or worse mate. :cheers:

go to a dealership and get an estimate for the repair. just because you have an estimate DOES NOT mean that you are forced to have it repaired by a professional. any checks cut to you by the windshield company or their insurance must be cut TO YOU not to a professional repair shop.

just to let you know, though, it will be over $500 to repair, if not more. especially since the estimate will include an OEM dash assembly ($200 by itself, at least, if it's available)

repair it yourself. I'll do a write up for you if you would like. it's not hard, and it's not rocket science. your first time through will probably not be too fast, but it's gonna take less than a day.

Nice try if there is on loan/lien on it the check goes tothe repair shop. You get the check only if it has no lien against it.

Nice try if there is on loan/lien on it the check goes tothe repair shop. You get the check only if it has no lien against it.

Did you forget what board you are posting on? Can you say 87 Comanche...lien.....doesn't sound right, does it? :rotf:

I understand the position youre in and how you feel, but considering the original condition of your dash before being broken, I myself would probably just try to call the balance even. If it does go to small claims, or even to insurance, they will claim that the dash was bad to begin with considering age and condition of not just the dash, but the entire truck. You may not even come out ahead if the judge side with them even just little bit. I knows theres no denying that they did it, but you need to consider both sides and if the whole process will even be worth it in the end. You were planing to recover/ replace it anyways. I'm ot trying to side with the glass company, but I think you should just cut your losses and be done with it, instead of taking who knows how long to resolve this and having to continue to worry about it. Just my opinion.

I hear your point, what with the truck being 22 years old. but I feel your overlooking a few important points.

First and foremost,I requested a job to be done on my truck, in good faith I believed that I would be getting a good product and that I'd be happy with the results. The guy does not advertise,gets all his jobs by referrals and word of mouth.I was referred to him by a friend who is pretty upset about all of this because she sent me to him.I did not expect to be told "sorry" for the damages because it would be inevitable.

I looked up "Classic Car",most States and Insurance Companies vary on their definition. To me our trucks are "Classics" by a few different points of criteria.

1. My truck is 20+ yrs old.

2. It's the last "Truck" Jeep made.

3. I have 4k + invested in this truck,not including my labor.

4. It's unique to me.

And besides all of that,who's to decide that it's OK for my truck to be damaged and not be repaired to my satisfaction.

How much different would it be if it was a 22 yr old Malibu,Z28,Vette,or a Ferrari.

Heck,if your Yugo was 22 years old and was rust free (My truck is 99 pct. rust free) wouldn't you be POd to see the dash damaged? Besides where you gonna get a nice Yugo dash in the color that matches.

Last of all, I don't believe in minimizing. That's like being just a little bit pregnant.

I'm on the third windshield in my '88 Cherokee and I had the cracked windshield in the '88 Comanche replaced when I first put it on the road. All were done by a guy from a local glass shop and he came to the house and did it in my driveway. There was no damage to the dashboard, and no suggestion that any damage even might be possible. I watched him work -- I can't even imagine how the putz could have done that, except that he must be an incredible putz who simply has NO pride in his work whatsoever, and doesn't give a rat's patootie about his customers vehicles.

This would be like your wife calling Triple A to change a flat tire, the guy puts the jack under the gas tank and makes a hole in it, then drives off and says "Sorry. S**t happens."

Did the glass guy do ALL of the damage in the picture? I guess I just understood it at first that it was just the part that has the hole all the way through. If he did all that damage, and the dash was in an uncracked, unbroken condition before the winsheild replacement, I now see your point more clearly. I agree the kid would have to have been a dense idiot to not tell something like that was happening, and there is really no place for a sawzall attachment to be needed to do a job like that. Any proffessional glass guy knows that you take your time and be careful doing that stuff. Sounds like this kid just thought he could do it this way quicker and be done with it. The faster way is not allways the right way. And if the owner is getting pissy with ya, yeah its time to play hardball. GO GET 'EM CHEIF!!!

The dash was perfect. Just dirty. Like I put in one of my earliest posts, I think I got "Grandpa's" truck. It has a whole bunch of service receipts of before I got it.

The damage was done with a tool like this: http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/equaliz ... -1033.aspx

The guy was yelling at me on the phone demanding the rest of his payment,saying that if I don't let him install a JY dash that he is buying then he is going to take me to court for the balance.

I called the Office of Consumer Protection in my state and plan on pursuing this matter till my truck is fixed or that i'm satisfied with the end result.

Him take ME to court,I already looked into countersueing him.

Have to say though,this is already eating up more of my time than I want to give.