Windshield/Dashboard Bummer

I got to agree the kid could have done a better job, but these old dash 22 years old doesn't take much pressure to cause cracks and based on your picture it was long gone dude when was last time it seen any amorall? I'm not saying what he did was right but just seems like it was already ready to go. I would just try and settle this mess before it got too out of hand, to me not worth the hassle!

Believe me he could have still been careful and just applying a little pressure will cause the hard brittle material to crack, it's 22 years old man mine even with constant amorall and dash cover is still very fragile.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got to agree the kid could have done a better job, but these old dash 22 years old doesn't take much pressure to cause cracks and based on your picture it was long gone dude when was last time it seen any amorall? I'm not saying what he did was right but just seems like it was already ready to go. I would just try and settle this mess before it got too out of hand, to me not worth the hassle!

Believe me he could have still been careful and just applying a little pressure will cause the hard brittle material to crack, it's 22 years old man mine even with constant amorall and dash cover is still very fragile.

I disagree

it is a rare vehicle, and no matter whether or not it was "ready to go", it had not, in fact, "gone" by that point in time.

the owner of the vehicle did not cause it to "go", someone else did....and that someone else was doing a job that had NOTHING to do with being inside the vehicle with a sawzall and attachment.

the guy was obviously in a hurry and didn't care too much. to use that windshield blade and sawzall requires one to cut the top and sides first, then pull up on the windshield and cut the bottom....which can be done without getting in the vehicle at all.

that said, there's ZERO reason for the owner to just bend over and take it.

repair it yourself though, and pocket any money they are forced to give to you.

go to a dealership and get an estimate for the repair. just because you have an estimate DOES NOT mean that you are forced to have it repaired by a professional. any checks cut to you by the windshield company or their insurance must be cut TO YOU not to a professional repair shop.

what you do with the money is your own business.

just to let you know, though, it will be over $500 to repair, if not more. especially since the estimate will include an OEM dash assembly ($200 by itself, at least, if it's available)

repair it yourself. I'll do a write up for you if you would like. it's not hard, and it's not rocket science. your first time through will probably not be too fast, but it's gonna take less than a day.

Nice try if there is on loan/lien on it the check goes tothe repair shop. You get the check only if it has no lien against it.

Did you forget what board you are posting on? Can you say 87 Comanche...lien.....doesn't sound right, does it? :rotf:

I can get a loan on a 87 or I can have a mechanics lien put on one too... :cheers:

repair it yourself though, and pocket any money they are forced to give to you.

go to a dealership and get an estimate for the repair. just because you have an estimate DOES NOT mean that you are forced to have it repaired by a professional. any checks cut to you by the windshield company or their insurance must be cut TO YOU not to a professional repair shop.

what you do with the money is your own business.

just to let you know, though, it will be over $500 to repair, if not more. especially since the estimate will include an OEM dash assembly ($200 by itself, at least, if it's available)

repair it yourself. I'll do a write up for you if you would like. it's not hard, and it's not rocket science. your first time through will probably not be too fast, but it's gonna take less than a day.

Nice try if there is on loan/lien on it the check goes tothe repair shop. You get the check only if it has no lien against it.

Did you forget what board you are posting on? Can you say 87 Comanche...lien.....doesn't sound right, does it? :rotf:

I can get a loan on a 87 or I can have a mechanics lien put on one too... :cheers:

Yeah, you can probably get a loan for a BJ as well, doesn't mean it's gonna happen. But hey, thanks for playing :thumbsup: .

No offense but it looks like it been baking in the sun for years! I've seen a few dash's in the junkyard and they crack when I applied very little pressure or if I looked at them the wrong way. Regardless yes they did caused the damage, but let's be fair it was very fragile to begin with.

Now if it look like in my condition and then they damage it then you might have a stronger case.

Image Not Found

Good luck. If I were you I would accept his 1st deal, why not have him buy you the replacement from the JY and you can install it yourself, it's not that hard and believe me your dash was gone the way it crack shows how brittle the material was and be happy your getting a free replacement. :cheers:

The dash was perfect. Just dirty. Like I put in one of my earliest posts, I think I got "Grandpa's" truck. It has a whole bunch of service receipts of before I got it.

The damage was done with a tool like this: http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/equaliz ... -1033.aspx

The guy was yelling at me on the phone demanding the rest of his payment,saying that if I don't let him install a JY dash that he is buying then he is going to take me to court for the balance.

I called the Office of Consumer Protection in my state and plan on pursuing this matter till my truck is fixed or that i'm satisfied with the end result.

Him take ME to court,I already looked into countersueing him.

Have to say though,this is already eating up more of my time than I want to give.

I think you hit the nail on the head. How much time and aggravation is it worth? I would say settle for a JY dash in very good condition and install it yourself or settle for amount due. Let him take you to court if he wants and explain why his kid damaged your vehicle.

87comanchelb,

I disagree with you as well.

there are members here with plenty of spare dashes/parts xj's who'd be happy to give him a dash for little to nothing....and then walk him through a proper install.

so why would he want to make any "deal" with them.

aemsee, I think you underestimate the likelihood of a mechanic being willing to put a lien on a title.

Well I for one know when something is old and gone and I would have known the dash board was ready to go, if he would have damaged it I would have said yeah I know I was planning on replacing it anyways it was already gone.

The kid probably just did like he did a hundred times before and never had a problem until he ran into a real old sun beaten 22 yr old fragile dash.

It just show how honest I'm really am and not trying to get something for nothing. It was junk already pfft!

87comanchelb,

I disagree with you as well.

there are members here with plenty of spare dashes/parts xj's who'd be happy to give him a dash for little to nothing....and then walk him through a proper install.

so why would he want to make any "deal" with them.

aemsee, I think you underestimate the likelihood of a mechanic being willing to put a lien on a title.

Don't know about where you live, but to put a lien on someones vehicle takes more than my word to the DMV as a mechanic. There is also a dollar amount that needs to be figured in. I couldn't put a lien on someones car because they owe me $10. I've been a tech for 25 yrs and had my own shop. Like anything else there is paperwork to go along with the process.

The kid probably just did like he did a hundred times before and never had a problem until he ran into a real old sun beaten 22 yr old fragile dash.

It just show how honest I'm really am and not trying to get something for nothing. It was junk already pfft!

If it had NO cracks in it ... how do you figure it was junk already?

That's like my doctor telling me I'm 65 years old, so it's no problem if he doesn't give the right medicine because I was going to get sicker anyway. You're not being "honest" with an approach like that -- you're being a sucker.

Well I for one know when something is old and gone and I would have known the dash board was ready to go, if he would have damaged it I would have said yeah I know I was planning on replacing it anyways it was already gone.

To me it sounds like you are used to f'in up just like the dumbass windshield installer. Wouldn't have mattered if the dash was made out of eggshells, it should have not been damaged by installing a windshield.

I have seen enough old 20 yr sun bake dash it the junk yard and if you just press down it will shatter like this, sure it was perfect if you didn't touch it or blow on it. If he accidently causes the damage I can understand becauses it so old, and the way it was taken care of, which seem like never it's just common sense dude. How can I demand a new replacement if I knew the condition it was in that's how bad it was if it was still good it would have give and he probably just had his back hand resting on the dash while holding the sawall thinking it should be OK but beening so brittle it shattered. it doesn't take much when it's in this condition.

To me it sounds like you are used to f'in up just like the dumbass windshield installer. Wouldn't have mattered if the dash was made out of eggshells, it should have not been damaged by installing a windshield.

He was requested by a friend, sounds like was doing a good job, he just didn't realize how bad condition it was in, and No I'm not used to F'in up like you say but I can tell when something is old and fragile.

87, you're wrong.

let's put it this way...

my 86 comanche looked nice before it got smashed into.

it no longer looks nice.

and because it wasn't my fault, the other people should have had to pay for it.

I see no difference between my scenario with the 86, and the scenario with his dash. fact of matter is yes, it is old. but it looks nice. who are you to say that it looks now as it should have then. that doesn't make any sense.

This is going to be argue for ever, so let's sum up the facts.

The dash is cracked.

I recall 64 Cheyenne was planning to replace it.

Installer offered to install one from the JY.

I see a reasonable solution is to have the installer buy a dash of Cheyenne's choice and Cheyenne gets what he wants. The dash may cost more than a JY one but the installer's labor is saved from both pulling two dashes and reinstalling one. Cheyenne gets a better dash and does what he was going to do anyway. If Cheyenne chooses a JY one, the installer can still pull it.

First off, I was not going to replace the dash. Why would I have wanted to do that to an unbroken,undamaged dash?

My plan was to put a carpet cover on it like I do to all my other vehicles. Just cause I was going to cover it doesn't make it alright that it got damaged.

Yesterday I talked to an attorney about this,short of the story is this:

I have a new WS in my truck. I paid him 100$. I still owe him135$. My dashboard is damaged. I won't let him touch my truck again. He cannot put a lien on my truck because it was never in his possession.

After speaking to that attorney ,I have decided to "let sleeping dogs lay".

If he wants to take me to court,let him,I'll counter with the damages.

And to anyone who has a shiny truck,or who has said the dash was "ready to go"

would you have the same attitude and think "oh it's OK, that dash was old and ready to go"

Heck no you wouldn't,It would have happened to "YOUR" truck and you would have been Pissed.

My truck is a labor of Love, mine,It keeps me sane.

I don't appreciate anyone who devalues or minimizes the value or damage to my truck.

And that is all I have to say.

I stand corrected.

Two options. Yours where you get a $100 windshield and a cracked dash. Or have someone estimate his suggestion of labor and cost of a JY one out and in yours and reduce the bill by that amount. That would definitely reduce the dollar amount between your two positions.

You don't have to tell anybody here what an individual's value is of their truck, but there is also value in getting it overwith and not dealing with the person again. Keep the emotion out of it and decide how you can get as close to what you want from the situation. There is no question you are right in wanting an uncracked dash, but as you said how much time are you willing to commit to the cause. I'm sure the installer wants to make it right but what options does he have. He can't turn the clock back. He proposed a solution. That stake needs to be establish with a dollar value. You have your solution. You need to meet somewhere inbetween. The only question is closer to whose solution? The difference is something less than $135. The lawyers will cost alot more. Your handle is his word of mouth advertising. And that would be the Free Market at work if it was allowed these days.

How can I demand a new replacement if I knew the condition it was in that's how bad it was if it was still good it would have give and he probably just had his back hand resting on the dash while holding the sawall thinking it should be OK but beening so brittle it shattered. it doesn't take much when it's in this condition.

First, there is no excuse for using a Sawzall to remove a windshield in the first place. Second, the installer is supposed to be a professional. HE should know that a 20-year old vinyl dash cover will be brittle and HE should work more carefully to allow for that.

The dashboard wasn't cracked before he started work. It was badly damaged when he finished. He owns it. No excuses allowed for horrendously poor workmanship. The damage he created was ENTIRELY avoidable if he had any skills whatsoever at what he was doing.

"My truck is a labor of Love, mine,It keeps me sane." If you really love your truck you would have replaced that dash long ago or at least put some armorall on it, then at l least you would have known what condition it was in.

Yes if my truck look in great condition and I kept it that way and he damage it yes I would be PO, but this thing was not, but it looked great, no cracks, but looks can be deceiving even the owner didn't even realize how bad it was. That's the difference between you and me I would have come to my senses and realize that, that dash was on it's way out and I believe most everyone here knows that just don't want to say, instead of saying who right and who wrong, me I would feel guilty asking for a free replacement, but hey more power to ya! Me I would have thank the kid for showing me that my dash board is falling apart! Afterall they are pretty cheap at the wreckers if you can find a good one.

Well I hope it works out for you that's all I have to say about this!

it didn't fall apart until someone used a power tool on it.

that damage looks like the blade got stuck and the sawzall kept moving, jabbint into the blade.

anyways 87comanchelb....you're really being a jerk.

just because the truck doesn't look all shiny and new doesn't mean that it's not in good shape. yes, sun fades paint. yes, it causes dashes to become brittle.

but if it is not cracked before it was worked on, and is when it's done being worked on, it is the person who did the works fault.

Sorry I'm not trying to be a jerk but just looking at it from both sides, next time your in the junkyard find some old 20 yr+ sun beaten dash and if you just press down a little it will crack like the San Andrea fault line. I'm not saying that's how far his dash was but it was getting there I've seen that pattern before.

and your 177 posts here makes you an expert on the subject?

I've stripped more than 15 cherokees and comanches, and saved the dashes from over half of them, and they all had sun-faded paint so I guess the dashes should have cracked?

Sorry, but I completely disagree. I've only seen a few dashes that were to that point of cracking. ironically, the vehicles they were in weren't sun-faded.

I didn't say I was an expert, just what I experience in my local Junkyards I've seen a few that crack very easily when I pressed down checking them out, what if the kid just accidently placed his hand there and it cracked which can easily happen when they are that far gone, was it his fault for not knowing how fragile it was?