Windshield/Dashboard Bummer

Sorry I'm not trying to be a jerk but just looking at it from both sides, next time your in the junkyard find some old 20 yr+ sun beaten dash and if you just press down a little it will crack like the San Andrea fault line. I'm not saying that's how far his dash was but it was getting there I've seen that pattern before.

I ve run into that too. WO examining the dash it is impossible to know for 100% though.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what if the kid just accidently placed his hand there and it cracked which can easily happen when they are that far gone, was it his fault for not knowing how fragile it was?

In a word ... yes.

He is supposed to be a professional. Professional glass guys replace windshields on old cars as well as new. You are assuming, of course, that he caused the cracks by simple hand pressure rather than sloppy use of the tools (I don't agree ... I think it's obvious the damage was done by the tool). Even if that's true ... he as a professional has a responsibility to protect the rest of the vehicle around what he was working on.

what if the kid just accidently placed his hand there and it cracked which can easily happen when they are that far gone, was it his fault for not knowing how fragile it was?

In a word ... yes.

He is supposed to be a professional. Professional glass guys replace windshields on old cars as well as new. You are assuming, of course, that he caused the cracks by simple hand pressure rather than sloppy use of the tools (I don't agree ... I think it's obvious the damage was done by the tool). Even if that's true ... he as a professional has a responsibility to protect the rest of the vehicle around what he was working on.

Another thing he could have done was to warn you of subsequesnt damage prior to continueing. Like "hey I noticed your dash is dry, it might crack while i am working in the area. Would you like me to continue?"

Rob L.

I am a professional painter in a dealership bodyshop. I also restore hotrods/muscle-cars, and do custom work on the side. I have 1 glass guy I use for my side work, because I know what kind of hack jobs can ensue if you use someone you don't trust. When I am working on a 1/4 million dollar 1970 hemi-Cuda, I know that I can't afford to replace the irreplaceable. Our little Manche's aren't 1/4 million dollar cars, but I expect my sub-contractors to use the right tool for every job. That's my point. There IS a right tool for every job, and the sawzall attachment IS the right tool for SOME jobs, but is NEVER the right tool for a 22 year old ANYTHING! It's the fastest way to cut out the glass, but any glass guy worth his salt knows that on ANYTHING that old, you use the piano wire to cut the urethane. Moral of the story is that If the kid had the knowledge and skills to do the job properly, you wouldn't be in this situation. An insurance company would write the repair estimate on your dash for a comperable condition JY dash. If that condition is brittle, but un cracked, then so be it. That's what you are owed! If this gets ugly, let me know. Any body shop can write you an estimate for that repair. You don't have to go to a Jeep Dealer. Shops all write estimates based on a fairly standard estimating system. If you need an estimate to remove and replace an the dash, let me know. I can have my boss write and E-mail you an estimate. Good luck bud!