Need a rear bumper???

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're welcome. :thumbsup:

Thank you Sir :bowdown: that is the best price I have ever seen on that bumper and free shipping to boot, however the mounting bracket is not for a mj on amazon......I did manage to find that for $42.** and like $11.00 shipping on partstrain All in all a good buy i think, and I think it will look really good jamminz.gif

I see you got the (ugh!) black bumper. :D But you're right, it'll look nice. :cheers: Let us know how it fits up.

Whats wrong with black??? It'll match my wheels, and trim, and front bumper ect ect, plussssssss I'm really cheep :brows:

I will let you all know how she goes on...and yes I will post some pics of the install......... :chillin:

I see you got the (ugh!) black bumper. :D But you're right, it'll look nice. :cheers: Let us know how it fits up.

Whats wrong with black??? It'll match my wheels, and trim, and front bumper ect ect, plussssssss I'm really cheep :brows:

I will let you all know how she goes on...and yes I will post some pics of the install......... :chillin:

Nothings wrong with black... You forgot you were talking to the president of chrome... :peek: :teehee:

Do you have this bumper?????

Is It for the MJ?????? or is it universal with the mounting kit??????

The Westin 63000 (used to be Fey) bumper fits MJ and Dodge Dak rears, see below. I had one on my MJ when I first got it years ago. But you also need the MJ-specific bracket kit, also available from Amazon.

http://frugalmechanic.com/auto-part/918075-fey-bumper-t1263000

Actually, if you look at the link to my project thread, you will see that bumper mounted on the stock mounts. I sent back the mounting kit. I had to re-drill a few holes in the bumper (where it mounts to the brackets), but you don't see the new holes.

It is really a fairly good bumper, for the $100 I paid for it from JC Whitney. I paid $99 with free shipping.

Ok I'm goning to get the westen bumper, which mounting bracket do i need to get ????????

None.

Ok I figured it out it is part #97900

That is the right part number, but it is not needed. The stock brackets are much stronger, and those won't work (or would not for me) without removing the stock brackets, which actually lined up just fine, if you drill 2 new holes.

It was actually easier than using the "proper" brackets.

Just ordered fey black dimond step bumper from amazon, and a fey bumper mounting kit from partstrain.com for a total of $170.43 shipped .......I think that is pretty good :brows: :popcorn: let me know what you think

WAY overpaid.

I don't knw that JC Whitney still sells it, but Amazon has it for $117 with free shipping. How did you pay $170? Even with the mounting kit, that seems really high.

http://www.amazon.com/Westin-63000-Fey- ... 657&sr=8-4

JC Whitney doesn't sell the black Fey bumper anymore, only the chrome for way over $200. Good idea on using the stock brackets! :D

My father and I were looking at the brackets and what had to be removed to mount them to the frame and then looked at the Fey bumper and decided that if there was a flange on the bumper that mounted to the Fey bracket, that attachment point would have to (at least roughly) line up with the stock mount. We mocked it up, and sure enough, the flanges were in the right locations. After a few minor adjustments, we lined up the holes where we wanted them, marked the bumper, removed it, and drilled 4 holes. The whole process- including removing the stocker- was maybe 1.5 hours, with liberal time to argue about the best approach. It was my father and I, after all.

Ok I'm goning to get the westen bumper, which mounting bracket do i need to get ????????

None.

Ok I figured it out it is part #97900

That is the right part number, but it is not needed. The stock brackets are much stronger, and those won't work (or would not for me) without removing the stock brackets, which actually lined up just fine, if you drill 2 new holes.

It was actually easier than using the "proper" brackets.

Just ordered fey black dimond step bumper from amazon, and a fey bumper mounting kit from partstrain.com for a total of $170.43 shipped .......I think that is pretty good :brows: :popcorn: let me know what you think

WAY overpaid.

I don't knw that JC Whitney still sells it, but Amazon has it for $117 with free shipping. How did you pay $170? Even with the mounting kit, that seems really high.

http://www.amazon.com/Westin-63000-Fey- ... 657&sr=8-4

Well Its a little late to tell me I don't need the kit, because I already ordered it....... :doh: Oh well ......And to answer you question the mounting bracket was $42.00 +11.00 For shipping that = $53.00 + $117.00for the bumper 117.00+53.00= 170 :thumbsup: preschool math buddy :yes:, but you bumper looks really nice though, I can't wait :banana: :banana:

Well Its a little late to tell me I don't need the kit, because I already ordered it....... :doh: Oh well ......And to answer you question the mounting bracket was $42.00 +11.00 For shipping that = $53.00 + $117.00for the bumper 117.00+53.00= 170 :thumbsup: preschool math buddy :yes:, but you bumper looks really nice though, I can't wait :banana: :banana:

I understand that it is simple math, but I always saw the kit for ~$30 on amazon (this was just in january 09), and it always had free shipping, so I was confused how $130 became $170. Then I saw that the bumper was up to $117, but still, that would have been $147 not $170.

You might try calling amazon and see if they can cancel the bracket part of the order. I had ordered through amazon, but then called JC Whitney and cancelled my amazon order a few day after placing it, since it had not yet shipped. Amazon often contracts to have things drop-shipped, so they may have a lag. This could be to your advantage.

I can tell you from experience that:

1. using the brackets is harder than using the stock mounts, and

2. they are not nearly as solid as the stockers.

The bumper is a really good deal, even at $117, though. I would just try to cancel the brackets. Thanks for the compliments!

just don't open the box with the brackets. call now for a return authorization number and send them back. worst case you're out $11 shipping but save the $42 :thumbsup:

Called partstrain to cancle brackets, and she told me that they will need to be shipped back from my house when they arrive because my order was already in the shipping process........ :fs1: Oh well......... just have to call them when I get them to ship them back...... I have to eat the shipping though :headpop: again Oh well :chillin: thanks for all the advise guys this site is the bomb :agree: so I will get my 42.00 back after a while.... that bumper does look sweet though :drool: :brows: :clapping: should be here next week sometime

Ps. those brackets do look really cheesy :ack:

On another note I ordered yj front brake lines and a dakota rear line for my manchy :brows: jamminz.gif Does anyone have any pics of how they bolt up???? Just direct or is there some mods that need to be done :dunno:

thanks again guys

wahoo, the brake lines will hold up fine.

as for the rear bumper pictured in this thread....that's one chintzy POS that I would not trust to hang a luggage rack off of.

I had one of those on an MJ I bought, and it lasted me a day from buying it. couldn't even handle my small 1 place snowmobile trailer.

I have one that's similar, but much sturdier and finished in the front (i.e. not just chopped off where it meets the bed corners...it curves around so there are no sharp corners) and so does my brother. those are nicer.

basically I'm saying you get what you pay for....and a good bumper costs more than that.

wahoo, the brake lines will hold up fine.

as for the rear bumper pictured in this thread....that's one chintzy POS that I would not trust to hang a luggage rack off of.

I had one of those on an MJ I bought, and it lasted me a day from buying it. couldn't even handle my small 1 place snowmobile trailer.

I have one that's similar, but much sturdier and finished in the front (i.e. not just chopped off where it meets the bed corners...it curves around so there are no sharp corners) and so does my brother. those are nicer.

basically I'm saying you get what you pay for....and a good bumper costs more than that.

Them is some strong words bubby, but I am cheep so......yea The price is right, pluss I'm not going to be towing much ever so no worries :dunno: :chillin:

lol. I really am not trying to attack you or your choices. I'm just saying what it is.

just do us a favor and don't try to actually use it for towing....it's not very strong and is rated under what the factory step rear bumper is rated

lol. I really am not trying to attack you or your choices. I'm just saying what it is.

just do us a favor and don't try to actually use it for towing....it's not very strong and is rated under what the factory step rear bumper is rated

How about showing us a picture of YOUR bumper...........

It does have a 3 year warranty :smart: So if it bends in half when I'm towing a jet ski they will replace it or els :rant: :fs1:

this is my 86's rear bumper (similar to above, higher weight rating)

the frame mount got bent a little in the accident and the rear bumper has moved right on the body about 2", but that rear bumper saved the inner bedside.

it also took out the engine in a brand new mitsubishi eclipse a few years ago when the ditzy college girl rear-ended me. didn't even get a scratch. it's flat towed many jeeps, hauled a couple car dollys and even a few 4 place snowmobile trailers and the like.

no matter what though I wouldn't trust any comanche rear bumper with a car hauler....the truck doesn't weigh enough

and here's my wheeling truck. I built this one

I'll have to get pictures of the new mounts for the rear bumper on the wheeling truck

just do us a favor and don't try to actually use it for towing....it's not very strong

It really is adequate for light towing, but I would not use it (or any other factory/factory replacement bumper) to tow a significant load. Even on my 1500 silverado and my F250 4x4 diesel, I still used a receiver to tow.

I have uesd the stock bumper for light loads, but I would not tow a vehicle with it, for example.

it...is rated under what the factory step rear bumper is rated

Not true. Mine says 300 tongue weight and 3500 tow. The factory one that I removed was rated at 2000 tow, and I don't recall the tongue rating. Interestingly, that was with the whimpy Fey/Westin brackets. I would think that with the heavier stock mounts, it might be higher capacity

They did make one odd design choice, because where the tongue meets the license plate area, there is a gap. Connecting those spots would have really increased strength on both planes.

I just saw this:

http://frugalmechanic.com/auto-part/918 ... r-t1263000

I wonder if there is a misprint somewhere...