Dana 44

Jeepcom23

sounds like it is out of a grand cherokee, its crap in that case.

With disk brakes, it has to be out of a Grand. It's not so much crap in the case, it's that the case IS crap. The Grand Cherokee "Dana 44" has an aluminum case that warps if you look at it cross-eyed. The internals are not fully interchangeable with those of a "real" Dana 44.

There's a reason it's for sale for $60. The seller doesn't want to man up and pay somebody to haul it away.

With disk brakes, it has to be out of a Grand. It's not so much crap in the case, it's that the case IS crap. The Grand Cherokee "Dana 44" has an aluminum case that warps if you look at it cross-eyed. The internals are not fully interchangeable with those of a "real" Dana 44.

There's a reason it's for sale for $60. The seller doesn't want to man up and pay somebody to haul it away.

Would the brakes work on a real Dana 44?? I see them for sale all the time.

But I think I remember people saying it has a D-44 center section but a D-35 tubes and outer parts....

Yes the brakes would work.

I suppose there's a very slight chance that someone put disks on a XJ or TJ D44.

Yes the brakes would work.

I suppose there's a very slight chance that someone put disks on a XJ or TJ D44.

I thought the disc conversion is a popular upgrade for MJ’s…?

But I think I remember people saying it has a D-44 center section but a D-35 tubes and outer parts....

You are confusing this with the TJ Rubicon "Dana 44" front axle, which uses a Dana 44 (the real one) and the smaller axles, hubs and u-joints found on the standard TJ (and XJ/MJ) Dana 30 front axles.

I blew up the Dana 35 in my 88 back when it was 2wd running 30" tires. :(

I've towed 4 vehicles, and pulled a 6500lb van onto a trailer with my 3.07 D35 on 235/75/R15s and she's yet to break.

Some day... :driving: