I can feel the popping... in my XJ

So I'm thinking it might be control arm bushings.. But when I come to a stop I can hear and feel a small pop, and then when I start going again it does it again.. So.... How do I check tolerances??? What am I looking for??

I was going to post this in the pub, but its all the same parts as a MJ control arms popping. That is if its the control arms.

I can feel it pop in the floor boards on both drivers and pass sides..

How rotted do the bushings look?

I havent crawled under it yet... So I should be inspecting the rubber in them? Would I have to remove the arms to check, and can I remove them without worry about the axle moving, or does the truck need to be up on jackstands along with the axle itself???

I havent crawled under it yet... So I should be inspecting the rubber in them? Would I have to remove the arms to check, and can I remove them without worry about the axle moving, or does the truck need to be up on jackstands along with the axle itself???

I replaced my original LCAs w. new WJ LCAs w/o jacking up the truck; just did one side at a time. Also added some shims to correct the caster back to specs. My truck had about 115K miles on it when I did this, and the LCAs were still in good shape. Still running the original UCAs.

Just looking at the control arm bushings won't tell you much unless they are completely shot; rubber chunked out, and obvious visible movement causing metal-to-metal contact. Get in there with a crowbar and slide it between the arm and frame and see if it moves freely and you can duplicate the sound. Worn out ball joints can also cause a popping sound - do the same with the crowbar on the knuckles. Sometimes these things are real difficult to find JT. :cheers:

Check your caliper bolts/bushings on your front axle, if they are loose or sloppy they will also clunk causing this type of noise.

Good idea... Not long ago did the front brakes and had to grind a groove out of the knuckle where the brake pad notches ride on the knuckles. But it wasnt making a noise after all that.. Its more like a pop when the front end see's stress from turning, stopping, or accelerating.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey I was just wondering if you ever tracked down the problem here. I have a popping noise under the exact circumstances you describe and I havent had much time to do any detective work yet. I also think it is my control arms considering the location of the noises and the fact that I can feel it through the floorboard. Ill do what you guys have suggested tomorrow but hopefully you made some progress that could narrow my search. Thanks

Been pretty lazy on the Jeeps lately. I had a Honda civic that needed an engine swapped, but I just finished that up last week.. I should get under that XJ soon cause it's also feeling like the rear end is loose or something when to take off it kinda weird lateral moving feeling to it..

Still the only way I'm going to fix it right now is if it breaks. I have 2 more vehicles in front of the xj, so life is life...

I will get under there and check everything out though.. Hopfully its not the track bar I just put a OEM one on it not too long ago.. TB might need tightening...... Who knows..

Too many projects,,, not nuff time or cash..... Welcome to the Obama Administration... :clapping:

mine did the same thing it was the track bar mount at the frame

the hole was oblong

:cheers:

Just had to tighten mine. Was making a lot of popping and creeking. Now it's all better. :D

:cheers: