Official name of this part?

Hey guys, some questions.

What's the official name of this part? It's the smaller shaft closer to the hub.

The u-joint is kaputz. It was only a year old. Should I get a better one from somewhere special, or will the local auto parts store carry a good replacement?

If you look at the next pic you'll see how it went to crap and ruined that shaft by making the hole an oval instead of a circle.

Last, it was a pain to get the hub off the knuckle. It took me a good hour with PB Blaster and wedging a pick between the two with a hammer to get it off. If I have to do the other side, does anyone know of a better way without ruining the hub and destroying the dust shield.

2nd on stub shaft. you can also call it "that thing-a-magig" or that "damn part". most auto parts stores will understand that lingo. :yes:

as far as the u joint, if you are using the 4wd alot or running high hp, step up to a heftier joint from a specialty shop. if it's just your normal usage, any u joint will suffice. napa has some pretty good ones that are kinda middle of the road.

Thanks for the replies guys.

As far as usage, the farthest this truck has been off road is running over the curb in my front yard, once. IIRC this one came from NAPA. I have to check my reciepts to make sure. I'd really like to never have to change it again. Usually I'd get it from Brent but the bastard decided on a career change :rotfl2: Any suggestions on an excellent quality one I can get so I don't have to replace it again in another year?

Oh, and can I just replace this one side with a heftier one for right now or will I have to do both at the same time?

As for removing the hub from the other side...stick a deep socket (something fairly large, say 3/4 to 7/8, between that part that got elongated (stub shaft ear) and the axle tube, then start the truck and turn the wheel toward the socket. It will pop out the hub and axle assy. (remember to take out the three bolts first!)

i hope your not driving it without that shaft in the truck. carnage will occur if you drive without the outer (at least) axle shafts installed.

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Truck's been sitting for about 6 months now. I just finally got around to tearing it apart yesterday. It's been sitting so long I can't even do aemsee's trick because the battery is so dead I can't even get it to start to do it :rotfl2:

By the way, thanks for the tip aemsee :thumbsup:

Like any part, folks will have their personal preference about things. I prefer to use a mid/good quality axle shaft ujoint. I like the greaseable ones from Spicer. They work well and hold up fine even when I'm out pounding on my XJ. I used some non greasable types before and found that they wore pretty quickly. I use cheapies in the driveshafts to act as fuses. It's way easier to change them on the trail than it is to change axle ujoints. You could go with something extreme like an Ox, but those are usually overkill for most trucks. There's a local fellow here who upgrades ujoints by removing the needle bearings and replacing them with a sintered bronze bushing. It seems to hold up a lot better in the more hardcore guy's trucks. Lots cheaper than an Ox as well.

One thing you can do to prevent the ujoint from egging the shaft hole is to put a small tack weld on the cup to attach it to the shaft. This will also help in the event you grenade the ujoint. It'll keep the cup from ruining the yoke ear when the crosspiece tries to fly out. Just a quick small tack is all that's needed.

Lastly, I like to carry a spare set of spindle slugs from a 2WD MJ in the XJ. That unit bearing isn't a fixed part, it's just a pressed together unit. As mentioned already, if you put it back on without the shaft being there, the unit bearing halves will separate and you'll be waving good bye to your tire somewhere down the street. I saw this happen to a kid who broke his axle on the trail. There was no telling him, he knew his truck better than anyone. Cost him plenty to get a tow home. The spindle slugs used in the 2WD's keeps the bearing from separating. Good insurance.

Like any part, folks will have their personal preference about things. I prefer to use a mid/good quality axle shaft ujoint. I like the greaseable ones from Spicer. They work well and hold up fine even when I'm out pounding on my XJ. I used some non greasable types before and found that they wore pretty quickly. I use cheapies in the driveshafts to act as fuses. It's way easier to change them on the trail than it is to change axle ujoints. You could go with something extreme like an Ox, but those are usually overkill for most trucks. There's a local fellow here who upgrades ujoints by removing the needle bearings and replacing them with a sintered bronze bushing. It seems to hold up a lot better in the more hardcore guy's trucks. Lots cheaper than an Ox as well.

One thing you can do to prevent the ujoint from egging the shaft hole is to put a small tack weld on the cup to attach it to the shaft. This will also help in the event you grenade the ujoint. It'll keep the cup from ruining the yoke ear when the crosspiece tries to fly out. Just a quick small tack is all that's needed.

Lastly, I like to carry a spare set of spindle slugs from a 2WD MJ in the XJ. That unit bearing isn't a fixed part, it's just a pressed together unit. As mentioned already, if you put it back on without the shaft being there, the unit bearing halves will separate and you'll be waving good bye to your tire somewhere down the street. I saw this happen to a kid who broke his axle on the trail. There was no telling him, he knew his truck better than anyone. Cost him plenty to get a tow home. The spindle slugs used in the 2WD's keeps the bearing from separating. Good insurance.

more than just loosing a tire could happen. one story i heard ended with the driver and i think passenger getting killed.

Are you sure it wasn't the old stub shaft that took out the U-joint? Sounds to me like a great excuse to hunt down some 297 shafts. :D

Nope, I'm pretty sure this one was my own stupidity. I knew my caliper was sticking a bit, but I had a cheese emergency and had to deliver a little bit under 1/2 a ton of mozzarella to an account 40 minutes away and had no way of jamming that much cheese into the back of my corolla.

I keep trying to tell my boss that he needs to pay for at least parts, but the guy just keeps cussing at me in Sicilian and slapping me in the back of the head.

• 2 weeks later...
but I had a cheese emergency

LOLZ :cheers:

Jeff

They exist. Sometimes you just gotta have cheese. I start panicking when I have less the 2 lbs in the fridge.

LMAO I love cheese too...... :yes:, but you may have a problem.... :rotfl2: