How bad could this be?

Working under the jeep today and I noticed what looks like a plastic ring coming out of my harmonic balancer :eek: !

See->

Looking down from the top ->

What do you think went wrong? Is this something of major concern? I plan on replacing it no matter what. It was just a surprise to see that.

mines starting to do the same thing.professional products has a nice replacement one from summit for $72 but it's been on backorder for almost 2 months.napa can get pp parts but i haven't tried them yet.

If the outer (balance) ring doesn't move forward into the fan, it moves back and wears away the front cover. Once you see the rubber coming out, it's better to replace ASAP because the potential consequences are expensive, and it's a matter of "when" will it happen, not "if" it will happen.

That happened to me a while back. It was a new balancer I bought off E-Bay. (Made in China). It would make a horrible noise like something in the bottom end of the engine was going. Replaced it with an OEM (Made in the USA, and I think Brent got it for me.), one and never had the problem again.

Here's the thread on it a while back. Somewhere in there is a video of the noise it was making.

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11865

If the outer (balance) ring doesn't move forward into the fan, it moves back and wears away the front cover. Once you see the rubber coming out, it's better to replace ASAP because the potential consequences are expensive, and it's a matter of "when" will it happen, not "if" it will happen.

yep, i've seen that happen on a few vehicles.

its not very uncommon, they will go bad eventually. but that picture is your warning, do it as soon as you can.