Unibody plating

Is 1/8" plate strong enough to plate my unibody?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Is 1/8" plate strong enough to plate my unibody?

• Yes
    • No
    • Darren has aids

I am plating the outside and underside of my unibody where the steering box bolts up, and also a ways past the trackbar mount (I am using the rough stuff weld on out board model). I am also going to make a plate to go on the inside of the unibody under the steering box, I am not welding that on at the moment. I am planning on having lots of 1/2" plug welds, especially around the trackbar mount. Will 1/8" plate work?

Darren says that I should put my mj cab on a f/s bronco frame :doh:

I voted no. The 1/8" is good for the plating, but I would add a steering box brace to help tie everything in to the other side of the vehicle.

I am going to do that as well.

I voted no. The 1/8" is good for the plating, but I would add a steering box brace to help tie everything in to the other side of the vehicle.

I am going to do that as well.

Same here, except I picked C.

Remember, if you're plating your unibody, to put holes in the plate, rather than just welding around the outside of it. Then weld inside the holes, too. This'll help tie it all in better.

154_0703_14_z+jeep_cherokee_xj_10_day_jeepspeed+plate_reinforcement.jpg

I am planning on having lots of 1/2" plug welds, especially around the trackbar mount.

1/8" is VERY good to use. Most of my XJ was plated using formed 10 guage and it was incredibly stong and took an amazing beating. Infact my front suspension was completly welded to it.

If you do something like the pic above you will make something FAR FAR stronger than when your Comanche was new!! If you have looked around here, you know I am doing this right now. Only not in the steering box area. The metal thickness is very thin back behind the cab. Its MAYBE 1/16 thick back here. I do not know if its thicker up front. But I clad the sides with .125 steel and capped the bottom with another "U" channel of .125 steel and completely welded all the way around. Doing this is way stronger than stock. Then adding a couple thru pipes as in SS's pic will make something absolutely bomb proof!!!

CW

yea i ran all 3/16 plate under the cab and also put 3/16 angle iron on the bottom of the uni-body olny because the guy that i bought the comanche from for a dollar had a sander/salter on the back and screwed the whole farme up :oops: :oops: :wall: :wall: :headpop: :headpop: so yea just to tuffen it up 1/8 will be fine