Scout dana 44 rear

Ok buddy of mine just offered me a scout dana 44 rear if i help him move the scout out of the bushes. I know the WMS-WMS is 58". But would it work?

Other wise I was gonna look into local JY for late 80's waggy dana's.

What will you be using for the front?

v6 '95ish Izusu Rodeos and Honda Passports have a Dana 44 rear with disk brakes and either 4.10 or 4.30 gears. :thumbsup:

don't those have aluminum housings or something?

no

but they do have some wierd lug pattern

I've got an 80 scout 44 here...it's going to the scrapper soon as I pull the carrior and pinion.

they're 2" narrower combined so a set of 5x5 (or 5x5.5 idk) x4.5 1" spacers will be needed.

it seems like a sound axle...I just don't want it lol.

ZJ Grand Cherokees have the weird aluminum housings.

Rodeos have a normal Dana 44 differential and have the same 6 on 5.5 rim bolt pattern as a Grand Waggy. The only weird thing about them is they have a flange yoke so you'll want to throw on a U-joint yoke.

I believe the scouts are 5 on 5.5"

Scout Axles are 5.5" All Dana 44's from 1974-1980.... Scout II's were made from 1972-1980, so the first two years and some oddballs were Drum fronts... those would be the "undesirable" otherwise they are tough axles...The only other downside is that as the closer to 1980 they got the weirder the ratios became to try to meet with the "cafe" standards.. I have a set that have 2.30 something ratio.... Big heavy truck, with a V8 so every trick to get closer to 20mpg they took...

Maybe try to convince the guy to hook me up with the front too :brows: some were driver side drop . But eh its free just wondering if its worth my time to go pull it out of the bushes for it. Maybe i could sell it :D

Ive been looking for an 80's waggy for the axles. I saw that junkyard axle swap in JPmagazine. Thats what they used. Honda passport/ Isuzu Rodeo rear and a late 80's waggy front axle. But i was just gonna say take it off one JY truck.

But the scout is probly too narrow so oh well.

Maybe try to convince the guy to hook me up with the front too :brows: some were driver side drop.

Are you referring to the front Scout axle? All front Scout axles have the differential on the passenger side.

Willy

Maybe try to convince the guy to hook me up with the front too :brows: some were driver side drop.

Are you referring to the front Scout axle? All front Scout axles have the differential on the passenger side.

Willy

makes it a great combo w/ the d300

really they all are i read some are moved to the driverside cuz of a tcase combo some came with. I think it was the scout II. I saw another MJ on cardomain, he has scout dana 44's and the front is driver side, unless he some how fliped it or something but then why go through all that trouble.

No matter ill just go find some grand wagoneer axles.

really they all are i read some are moved to the driverside cuz of a tcase combo some came with. I think it was the scout II. I saw another MJ on cardomain, he has scout dana 44's and the front is driver side, unless he some how fliped it or something but then why go through all that trouble.

No matter ill just go find some grand wagoneer axles.

Yes, really. The Scout II came with a D20 besides 1980 when it used the D300. The Scout 80/800 came with the D20, maybe even the D18, I don't remember for sure. All of those transfer cases are passenger front output.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. :thumbsup:

Willy

Correction, WJ's have a funky alum housing D44 axle. Known to eat carrier bearings. 5.2L V8 ZJs had a D35!!!!! Unsure what the 5.9's got. Possibly some late production ZJ's got this alum D44 axle as well. After all, its a Jeep and NOTHING is set in stone as far as build parts. :eek: :D

CW

careful of waggy d44. most waggys were auto, and the auto waggy had an offset rear axle. the diff was to the right side, making it uselss to us. it was for some full time 4 wheel drive they used. but manual waggy's had a centered rear axle. most waggys had right side drop front axles as well.

ah except the 80-82 and 86-91 are all driver drops, grand wagoneers. Why the space i don't know :nuts:

But hey i could always get the honda passport rear dana and then the waggy front. Both around the same width, lugs match, kinda common to find in JY and they did it on JPmagazine to a TJ. I think a comanche would be no different. Or find a comanche rear dana 44, which aint easy. Or go fork out thousands of dollars for a dana 44 thats aftermarket :nuts:

These are good axles as others have said, nice upgrade. You know about the dirvers side drop and the metric brake lines on the Isuzu and assuming Honda as well.

One other thing, the caster on the scout front axle is not great for a Jeep. I don't completely remember the fix, but seem to remember CJ knuckles..... Maybe a internet search will produce the answers.

CW

I thought isuzu and honda had ifs....... Oh well ill go yank an axle out of one and see. People seem to like imports in hawaii and can't drive for beans the JY should have a few of those suckers lying around. :thumbsup:

Correction, WJ's have a funky alum housing D44 axle. Known to eat carrier bearings. 5.2L V8 ZJs had a D35!!!!! Unsure what the 5.9's got. Possibly some late production ZJ's got this alum D44 axle as well. After all, its a Jeep and NOTHING is set in stone as far as build parts. :eek: :D

CW

the 5.9s had the D44a.

But other ZJs also had the D44a.

I thought isuzu and honda had ifs....... Oh well ill go yank an axle out of one and see. People seem to like imports in hawaii and can't drive for beans the JY should have a few of those suckers lying around. :thumbsup:

They do... I am speaking of the rear axle.

When I speak of a D44 front I am speaking of the scout axle.

Sorry for the confusion.

CW

yep reason your right.

I tracked down the owners web site and found out he actually flipped the diff. Very surprised that some one would do that.

http://www.bc4x4.com/ryeguy/truck/coman ... front_axle

Well going to find some waggy 44's then. :thumbsup:

Holy crap! He didn't flip it, he had it retubed. That is way too much work for a low pinion axle. :fool:

ah except the 80-82 and 86-91 are all driver drops, grand wagoneers. Why the space i don't know :nuts:

Somewhere around '79 or '80 they switched to a driver side front differential. They did NOT switch back to the passenger side front differential after that.

One other thing, the caster on the scout front axle is not great for a Jeep. I don't completely remember the fix, but seem to remember CJ knuckles..... Maybe a internet search will produce the answers.

You can cut the inner Cs off and rotate them. Or, if it is retubed like above, the caster can be set to whatever you want.

Willy

Holy crap! He didn't flip it, he had it retubed. That is way too much work for a low pinion axle. :fool:

Depends on how you want to build something. Myself I'd have used a Ford HP pumpkin in that build, but if you want a Scout low pinion, why not? But that truck was an awesome piece of work. Rob did a ton of excellent mods to it. It's still going strong with the new owner.

Have you ever seen the weld on bracket kit that RE sells for front D44 installs? (this one http://www.rubiconexpress.com/BuilderPa ... art=RE9968) Rob designed it from scratch. RE um, "borrowed" it.