bought another, need front lift advice

The bolt on SOA kit will only work with MJ rear axles. XJ axles are already SOA, but the perches are in the wrong spot. 4.10 XJ axles are 100 times easier to find than 4.10 MJ axles, as there are very few MJs in junk yards. XJs are everywhere,

Sell the bolt on SOA kit, buy an XJ axle, then after you have the axle and know the diameter (35, 44 and 8.25 are all different, don't waste money on a 35) buy weld on perches and shock mounts. A welding shop should not charge more than $25 or $30 tops to weld the perches and shock mounts on. You can cut the old stuff off yourself with an angle grinder.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Okay, another shopping update. In order to keep you from reading backwards, I have this so far:

sway bar drop brackets

Rocky Road tubular gusseted lower control arms, greasable urethane bushings for 3-6" inch lifts.

Rough Country adjustable track bar

Rough Country or Rocky Road (can't remember) bolt- on SPOA kit

I have an opportunity to pick up this:

1. t-case drop brackets(no bolts)-$20 Off my XJ....no vibrations with 6" lift

2.brand spankin new Rubicon Express 4.5" coils. (powdercoated silver) with 225lbs sring rate. I paid $230new your price of $185

3.Lower control arms from Rusty's Offroad. 1.5 years old. Bushings in great shape. Beefy dom tubing . $90

4. 2" spacers from Daystar. $20

5. 4.5"-6" Rough country shocks or Rusty's front shocks(your choice) -$50

Disclaimer: please remember with pricing, that shipping things in from the States is a huge hassle up here, brokerage charges, shipping charges, etc. etc. And it's usually either that, or pay someone to fab it all.

Look like a good deal? Anything I need?

In my opinion (probably not worth much haha)

1. Transfer case drop not needed

2. I've seen NEW coils much cheaper. I just bought RC 6.5" coils for $130 from my local dist. I know everyone says RE is real nice, but after buying a used 4.5" RE lift with tweaked coils, I just can't see spending $50 more for used coils. Especially if they have been run with control arms that weren't designed for that lift (assuming fixed control arms and previous owner ran 4.5" coils AND the spacers like mine was)

3. You have control arms already?

4. Just get the right sized coils....spacers are a pain

5. Worth it depending on condition.

I know it probably sounds like everyone is preaching to do things the "right way" but it's because we've all been there. I've been building my truck on a budget too. As others have said, buy parts slowly, look for whole donor vehicle you can make money off, and don't take shortcuts on the important things like suspension, brakes, etc.

You can still enjoy the truck while you aquire your lift parts.

Whats wrong with the bolt in SOA brakets? It looks to me that the bolt in kits would have less axle wrap issues on a SOA then a normal weld in perch. my bolt in perches are 9" long were my stock xj perches are only about 4".

why not use the bolt in kit and just put 4.10s in the mj axle? then just put a 4.10 xj axle in the front.

In my opinion (probably not worth much haha)

Every opinion counts....otherwise, we'd never figure out who the idiots are. :D

1. Transfer case drop not needed

But for $20....probably worth it in my opinion.

2. I've seen NEW coils much cheaper. I just bought RC 6.5" coils for $130 from my local dist. I know everyone says RE is real nice, but after buying a used 4.5" RE lift with tweaked coils, I just can't see spending $50 more for used coils. Especially if they have been run with control arms that weren't designed for that lift (assuming fixed control arms and previous owner ran 4.5" coils AND the spacers like mine was)

Yup, I see your point. BUT I'm in Canada, there's fewer of us up here and fewer rigs around...we kinda take what we can get, or pay through the nose to ship them here.

3. You have control arms already?

Rear control arms for the bolt on kit.

4. Just get the right sized coils....spacers are a pain

Again, availability, and how are they a pain?

5. Worth it depending on condition.

I know it probably sounds like everyone is preaching to do things the "right way" but it's because we've all been there. I've been building my truck on a budget too. As others have said, buy parts slowly, look for whole donor vehicle you can make money off, and don't take shortcuts on the important things like suspension, brakes, etc.

You can still enjoy the truck while you aquire your lift parts.

I'm not looking for a cheap way out, but I've been around enough to know that sometimes for people there is only ONE right way. Thanks for the advice, and like I said, every opinion counts - discard nothing.

So all in all....worth it, eh?

The t-case drop is unnecessary in an MJ and kills an inch of ground clearance. Save your money.

Make sure your control arms are sized to the lift you're going for. There's a relationship between the two that determines your caster and the tire's location in the wheelwell. Don't forget, at that much lift you'll be wanting uppers too.

This person better be able to produce receipts for anything they say they purchased new.

Whats wrong with the bolt in SOA brackets?

Mega money and it means re-using a Dana 35 for what I'm assuming will be big tires.

why not use the bolt in kit and just put 4.10s in the mj axle? then just put a 4.10 xj axle in the front.

Is he capable of setting up gears? They aren't just "bolted in 'n go".

Its not that hard to set up gears,and it doesnt cost that much to have it done.

If you supply a used gearset the labor isnt that much,you just may not get a warranty.

The bolt in SOA kits are under $200 and besides he already has it.

My bolt in kit works with the Dana35 or Dana44 you just modify(grind) the spring pad a little for the larger axle.

Yes, I have the bolt in kit already, and I was thinking of looking at the SOA kit to see if grinding to fit a 44 would be do-able. Figured bolt-in then probably welded anyway (I know enough guys that I could get someone to do it for me).

Setting up gears is a black art to me....kinda like brakes...you wanna know what you're doing for sure. :yes:

I know I'll need uppers...just haven't come across them yet. Thanks for the tip on sizing them. The rears came with the SOA kit, and I'll check the fronts. :)

So why is a transfer case drop on an MJ a waste of time and money? Wouldn't it help to keep the driveline angles corrected?

Can someone confirm for me (I think this is correct), that a 1988 Cherokee with the 2.5l 4 cylinder auto with a tow package should have a rear Dana 44 and 4.56 gearing?

From Jeep Forum:

Gearing

3.07 - used with 4.0L engine / manual transmission

3.31 - only available on older (pre87?) 2 door XJs with "Fuel Economy" package

3.55 - used with 4.0L engine / automatic transmission

3.73 - found in some XJs with the towing package

4.10 - used with 2.5L engine usually, and older XJs with the "Off-Highway Vehicle" package.

4.56 - rare but can be found on some older (~ 89 ~) models with 2.5L engine and auto transmission

Nothing is for sure. For all you know someone swapped in replacement axles and either; 1:used something stupid like 3.07s, or 2: mixed ratios. If you're getting axles from a yard or getting a donor vehicle, you should really check the ratio. You can do this without pulling the cover, but you need a jack to pop a wheel up off the ground, and turn the D.S. by hand and count how many rotations it takes to turn the wheel once. I can't remember if it's double or half the ratio.

From Jeep Forum:

Gearing

3.07 - used with 4.0L engine / manual transmission

3.31 - only available on older (pre87?) 2 door XJs with "Fuel Economy" package

3.55 - used with 4.0L engine / automatic transmission

3.73 - found in some XJs with the towing package

4.10 - used with 2.5L engine usually, and older XJs with the "Off-Highway Vehicle" package.

4.56 - rare but can be found on some older (~ 89 ~) models with 2.5L engine and auto transmission

Also 2.5L 4spds came with 3.55s

No ratio chart is ever complete. :shake:

The easier (and cleaner way) to determine the ratio is to put the trans or t-case in neutral, jack up one rear tire and rotate the tire around twice and count how many times the driveshaft turns (if it has a posi rear, then jack up both and rotate them once). 3 and a half times is 3.55, 4 times is 4.10, etc.