bought another, need front lift advice

Hi all, I used to have a Comanche last year, 2wd, but sold it cause we didn't have room or time...looks like the bug bit again.

I just couldn't stay away from this one.... :oops:

ry%3D400

Bought it Saturday for a grand total of $250CAD (that's something like $35 American Pesos lol). Some rust holes, 398,637kms.....and runs like STINK. I think this sucker is faster off the line than my wife's 2003 Jetta TDI. I can smoke the rear tires if I want. What a difference from a 2wd long box 2.5l 4 cyl. Purrs like a kitten, although it does have some issues. Short box, bucket seats, 5 speed, and comes with 2wd, 4H and 4L.

Friday's shopping is completed, just need to pick up, and decide what I want for the front end....

sway bar drop brackets

Rocky Road tubular gusseted lower control arms, greasable urethane bushings for 3-6" inch lifts.

Rough Country adjustable track bar

Rough Country or Rocky Road (can't remember) bolt- on SPOA kit

All that for a total of the price of the truck pretty much. Should be a good start. :)

My question is....what is the CORRECT thing to get for the front of this rig, to match the rest of the lift?

Thanks, and glad to be back. :)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there anything specific that I should be looking for, or anything specific that swaps over from say an XJ/ZJ/TJ/YJ?

I heard that running ZJ coils for a lift is the biggest myth out there....but I know people use the rear ones in the from of a ZJ for a Front to Rear 4.5" lift swap....especially the Up Country Springs.

Is there anything specific that I should be looking for, or anything specific that swaps over from say an XJ/ZJ/TJ/YJ?

I heard that running ZJ coils for a lift is the biggest myth out there....but I know people use the rear ones in the from of a ZJ for a Front to Rear 4.5" lift swap....especially the Up Country Springs.

I don't believe its a myth altho I have never done it. I have heard you will get 1"-1.5" from the ZJ coils and 2" from the ZJ up-country coils.

Save your money on the bolt on SOA kit. Welding on perches is super easy, just find someone that can do it. Muffler shops or the like will have a welder.

Let's start at the beginning. What size tires are you looking to run? What type of wheeling? Any planned highway use?

SOA kit is already bought, so unfortunately the money is spent. :)

As for tire size, I was thinking something around 32-33's possibly, depending on the fit. On and off-road rig...not heavy wheeling.

Bummer. :( Well, my recommendation would have been to go find 4.10 axles, Dana 30 fro the front, and the rear being a 97+ XJ 8.25, Explorer 8.8, or MJ/XJ Dana 44 (which probably won't have 4.10s but is worth while to regear). Actually, that's still what I would do. There's nothing worthwhile in a Dana 35, even more so if it has 3.07 gears. :(

I'm really happy with the off and on road performance with the drop brackets. They're not as great as long arms I guess, but it returns the geometry of the control arms close to stock. Mine rides pretty darn smooth on the highway.

Mine are RE,,,,oh and the grease makes the truck go faster!!!! jamminz.gif

Well, my hope is to build this manche on a budget, as tight as I can. While new axles and new gears, etc. would be nice, I'd like to forgo that for now if possible, and build it into a decent wheeler with 32-33's....I'm assuming 31's will look way to small on it.

In my humble opinion, 33s + 3.07s does not a decent wheeler make. :( I'm just saying, be prepared for lots of cursing when not in low range. I learned it the hard way, I'm just trying to pass on the experience. :thumbsup:

Are you doing this "on the cheap" because the truck was cheap? Or because your budget is really tight right now?

In my humble opinion, 33s + 3.07s does not a decent wheeler make. :( I'm just saying, be prepared for lots of cursing when not in low range. I learned it the hard way, I'm just trying to pass on the experience. :thumbsup:

Are you doing this "on the cheap" because the truck was cheap? Or because your budget is really tight right now?

Pete, "does not a decent wheeler make" ? Is yoda holding you hostage? Words up mixed got you?

:rotfl2:

Rob L.

More because budget is tight right now....

You could put your money towards getting it fixed up and running right, and then collect the parts as you go and lift it later on. :thumbsup: That's what I did with my 88. I owned that 4wd trans and t-case for a good year or so before I was able to get around to the conversion. Heck, the truck itself sat for 2 years dead in the water (peugeot blew up) before I had everything I needed gathered together. :rotfl2: Keep your eye out for a cheap XJ with the 2.5 and 5-speed.

Don't forget the ol' adage: Do it right, or do it twice.

And Rob... chose my words carefully I did. :chillin:

Keep your eye out for a cheap XJ with the 2.5 and 5-speed.

In order to get the 4:10 gears? I know the rear axle is different for swapping in, how about the front? Bolt in?

dunl, Trust Pete when he says keep your eyes out for a donor vehicle. It took me 2 weeks of watching craigslist like a hawk, but I currently have a '96 XJ 2.5L 5-speed with a Non disconnect D30 with 290 u-joints(the bigger ones), and a chry co 8.25, complete with a set of 4.10 gears in my driveway. :yes: Just a matter of collecting the parts, and putting it together. The front axles will be a direct swap. And for the XJ's SOA design, in my plans to do the SOA anyway, I will have to re-weld the perches even if i were to use the stock d35 with the lift.

Ideally, I am going to do a SOA, with the Rubicon Express lift. I am in the same boat as you. Money is tight, but I want to do this right. So I am just collecting parts at the moment. And you can always sell off whats left for your donor, and re-coup some of the investment.

Plan it out, do it right. A little bit of sluthing, and some attention to classifieds and craigslist go a long way!!! :D

Rob L.

Front suspension and drive train are a direct bolt in.

I would save up your money or buy a few pieces at a time to come up with the following for the front:

5.5" or 6.5" lift springs,

adjustable lca

adjustable uca

adjustable track bar

sway bar quick discos

YJ front brake hoses

longer shocks

and for the rear

95 Dakota rear brake hose,

longer shocks.

You will also need to think about what you will be doing for rear shock mounts, and about the load sensing rear brake valve.

Control arm drop brackets give you a better ride, but depending on what type of wheeling you do that may like to get caught on stuff. Sway bar relocation bracket is one way to go; I personally went with sway bar quick discos that can be adjusted to work anywhere from 3" to 6.5" lift. Adjustable control arms let you play with locating the front axle exactly where you want it to minimize rubbing (less important with 33x10.50 than it is with 33x12.50) as well as adjust the pinion angle/caster angle.

Keep your eye out for a cheap XJ with the 2.5 and 5-speed.

In order to get the 4:10 gears? I know the rear axle is different for swapping in, how about the front? Bolt in?

The rear XJ axle only needs the old perches and shock mounts removed and new perches welded on. The front will bolt-in. Do not fear the welding. :cheers:

Need to learn...bought myself a Decastar 150e for another project a while back...gotta find time and well...be nice if they stay attached when I weld them. :oops:

Heading to the pick and pull today....anything besides YJ brake lines and axles I should look for while I am there? Is there a "PnP suggested list" posted somewhere?

Okay, so I struck out at the junkyard. Had a steering box from a ZJ, but no pitman puller....darn. No other jeeps except a couple of 88-90 XJ's with the 4.0 engines.

So, here's what I have so far....

SOA bolt on kit including: bolt on spring pads, extended rear brake line,E-brake cable drop bracket,U bolts and plates and all hardware

Lower control arms

adjustable track bar

I'm looking for axles...unfortunately, with the smaller population, there's less junkyard vehicles to pick from up here.

So regarding the axles....is there a best one to get if I am looking for 4.10 gears? And I'm assuming that with 33's and the 4.0, the 4.10's will work fine?

I'm running 4.10s and 33s and they work just fine.

I've found the key to finding the 4.10s is to find a whole 4wd 2.5L/5-speed XJ for sale that has a blown engine or bad body rot. Some guys have found them for under $200. Be patient, but be very attentive to the classifieds like craigslist.org Buy it, take the axles, part out what's left and scrap what doesn't sell. I did this with a Bronco and made money on the deal (and got free axles).

What were you needing a ZJ box for?

Be sure to double check the ratios in the Jeeps you do see. Sometimes people upgrade their junk. :thumbsup:

I'm probably going to be VERY patient, and try to find myself a white 97+ 2.5l cherokee that has been rear-ended. That way, I could do a fresh aesthetic swap over on top of the technical swap. If I become impatient, it will become the technical swap only. :)

Steering box? Just an upgrade....I hear they bolt in and have a quicker response....walked by the junkyard and it was there, so figured it might have been nice to have.