Rusty Tools!!!!!!!!

jtdesigns

I have a lot of tools that are VERY rusty. Sockets, screwdrivers, wrenches, ratchets, and a pipe wrench.. Whats the best way to clean them?? I contemplated sandblasting, but thats a whole lot of work to sandblast a 1/4" socket with some thick cabinet gloves. I've thought of making some sort of tumbler; I've even thought of soaking them in a bucket of acid (not sure if that'll work + its pretty scary stuff)

I need some suggestions, and ideas from any of you that may have another way..

Whats the best way to remove rust from hand tools?????????????????????????????

It's funny, my first thought was a rock tumbler.

Maybe let them soak in some pb blaster and hit them with some light sandpaper.

Some have been sitting in some oil/wd-40/PB Blaster still not real clean, but messy as !@#$%^&*()..

I was just thinking about that Wade.. Will that remove all the rust? Have you ever tried it????

I was just thinking about that Wade.. Will that remove all the rust? Have you ever tried it????

Ah Heck no...I'm WAY too lazy...most of my tools are "disposable"...Some HF, some Craftsman stuff, but nothing that I would feel too bad about tossing and buying new if it got too bad to use. I have a set of sockets that I got from my father in law...some got sorta rusty... I just keep using em

let them soak in coke for a couple days then rub them with steel wool and coke. then wipe them dry. i don't think you'll find anything that will just remove the rust. i think you'll need to do some scrubbing with steel wool.

there are a few cleaners used for guns that may work as well. some are made specifically for removing rust.

Buy some NEW TOOLS and don't let them sit out in the rain.................. :nuts:

These were "acquired" and no I don't leave tools in the rain.

wd 40 and a scotch brite.

I've got patience, but not that much.... This is about a 5 gallon bucket full of rusty stuff from sockets to screws. Alot of them are Craftsman, so I was thinking I might be able to replace them.. :dunno:

These were "acquired" and no I don't leave tools in the rain.

Where I come from, "acquired" (in quotes and italics) means I stole em... I don't know about back East... :oops:

Well,,, the story is........ lol...

The tools came from a few different places.. Some were my grandfathers, some from the Army, and most found on a old farm near my house. I guess you could say I stole the ones from the farm, but I look at it like I rescued them.. The person who owns the land lives in Indiana somewhere and has the land for sell now.....so yeah I stole'em..

take the craftsmen back to sears and get free replacements.

The stores by me won't return tool if they are rusty, or if they are damaged due to rust.

Thats what I was thinking.. I'll try it though.

wd-40 will take the rust right off and free up the tool.

I've soaked them in oil, wd-40, and pb blaster. All that leaves is a mess.

I'm going to try the battery charger thing, then if that don't work some acid.

take the craftsmen back to sears and get free replacements.

The stores by me won't return tool if they are rusty, or if they are damaged due to rust.

that sucks, they should take them back no matter what. maybe the employees are just to drunk on the thrill of telling someone no. out here, the employees are so stupid, i've accidentally given them no name tools, and they've given me new craftsmen. its worth a try to get the craftsmen junk warrantied.

It might sound crazy to some but I've had good luck by soaking rusty tools in diesel.

!!!!!! I used to use diesel to clean rust out of old motorcycle gas tanks ......... worked ok :brows:

here is an idea..........soak them in gas... you know regular unleaded...... then light them on fire let all the gas burn off then bring them into sears........ they don't have a burnt tull policy right? :brows: :brows:

plus fire is super cool jamminz.gifjamminz.gifjamminz.gifnutkick.gif :clapping: :waving: :chillin:

Sorry smilies make me happy :yes:

while digging the holes for my fence this past spring i found a set of vise grips, they were about 36 inches down. they were messed. while taking a brake i through them in a pale and covered the vise grips in vep 45. the rust was still there but they work as if they were new. i have since cleaned them up with a wire wheel. no rust and no shiny finish.