AW4 Pan Removal?

HOW?!?

My turn to rely on all you lads for advice. I'm a 5-speed guy, but due to my own stupdity I have to drop the pan on an AW4. I've got all the bolts out, but the pan appears to be RTVed in place. I can't find any way to get a knife or anything in there to start prying it off.

What's the secret? Do I have to drop the front drive shaft?

Yea, hit the back corner of the pan with a dead blow hammer, crosswise, that should help brake the seal. The you can get a pry bar behind the mounting lip, and 'gently' pry down, all the way around until it Pops free.

Remember, there is still alot a fluid in the pan, even after draining it :eek:

If your dropping the pan completely, hope you have better luck getting the dip stick tube apart at the 2 piece tube connection.

ya, that dipstick tube neve comes apart. its a pain.

I didn't have any trouble with it, twice, since I forgot to put the tranny pan magnet back in.

lucky guy, everyone i know has fought it, maybe its a midwest rust thing. :dunno:

ya, that dipstick tube neve comes apart. its a pain.

I didn't have any trouble with it, twice, since I forgot to put the tranny pan magnet back in.

lucky guy, everyone i know has fought it, maybe its a midwest rust thing. :dunno:

it must be. i had troubles with both of my MJ's

I forgot the pan magnet last time I changed the filter almost two years ago - still haven't put it back in. :yes: