Plastic Gas Tank Sheild

I bought a new gas tank and I'm going to be swapping it in next week. The old tank is out, it had a very small hole in it. When I took it out, I had to take off the plastic shield on the bottom of the tank before I could take the straps off.

What is this shield thing for, surely it can't be a type of skid plate cause it is just plastic. Is it just there to keep stones from nicking the bottom of the tank and chipping the paint? I'm thinking of leaving it off cause it had alot of dirt in it.

Thoughts? :dunno:

Also, when I put the straps back on, I am thinking of putting strips of rubber between the tank and the straps to keep them from rubbing on each other? :dunno:

That new tank wasnt cheap, I want to keep it in good shape. :thumbsup:

The plastic is more of a splash shield than an actual skid ( don't believe me, then try and use it for askid....crunch :fs1: :rant: ). I use strips from old bike inner tubes for the wear strips on my tanks under the straps. They are about the right width, and most kids that I know have blown a few. Why did you "have" to remove the plastic pieces to drop the tank? Not enough room under the MJ, or what? I haven't had to remove the pieces to drop a tank except on the XJ, since it covers the straps.

I would not re-install the plastic shield, it does nothing but trap dirt and moister between it and the gas tank. Plus you have no way to keep an eye on the condition of the gas tank.

You should use some type of insulator between the straps and the tank, even if it's like foam tape, trying to keep the two metals from rubbing together, and having moister trapped between the two pieces.

If you want your new tank to last for ever..........try some of This.

I would not install the splash shield. Rather, I would get a real skid to go in its place to protect that thing. I thought that MJ's came with metal tanks? :dunno: Thats what mine has (and I have the factory skid under that) even though the XJs have plastic tanks.

I would not install the splash shield. Rather, I would get a real skid to go in its place to protect that thing. I thought that MJ's came with metal tanks? :dunno: Thats what mine has (and I have the factory skid under that) even though the XJs have plastic tanks.

XJ's that are 97 and newer had plastic tanks. Steel tanks where used thru '96 on XJ's.

XJ's that are 97 and newer had plastic tanks. Steel tanks where used thru '96 on XJ's.

Really? I didn't know that. Just another thing to.. uh.. "borrow" from my brother's truck..

Really? I didn't know that. Just another thing to.. uh.. "borrow" from my brother's truck..

The 96 and 97 gas tanks are not interchangeable.

I don't own an XJ. I have an XJ tank in the bed of the 4.0. :thumbsup:

l_5102097fcced4dd09cd4fa7f095ed451.jpg

Brent,

while you have it out.

I suggest welding up brackets for your straps to bolt to with just a normal bolt rather than the long stud. that stud is a b*@$£ and I haven't ONCE been able to save one.

plus it would be nice to be able to fit a deep well over it.

and to have coarse thread instead of fine so it doesn't take 15 hours to get off

Brent,

while you have it out.

I suggest welding up brackets for your straps to bolt to with just a normal bolt rather than the long stud. that stud is a girl and I haven't ONCE been able to save one.

and to have coarse thread instead of fine so it doesn't take 15 hours to get off

Yeah, when I dropped the tank in the 4.0 I just christened my sawzall and cut the straps.

Brent,

while you have it out.

I suggest welding up brackets for your straps to bolt to with just a normal bolt rather than the long stud. that stud is a girl and I haven't ONCE been able to save one.

Yeah, when I dropped the tank in the 4.0 I just christened my sawzall and cut the straps.

I just come equipped with a fire extinguisher and a torch, cutting away from the tank.

usually if the tank is rusty I'll punch a hole in it and drain it, then smash it down and get rid of it.

:D

I've had it out before, most recently when I repainted the truck. When I took it out I sandblasted the straps and bolts/studs down before I repainted them. Everything came off nice and easy this time. :D

I hear ya though Pat. If I would have had problems with it this time around I would have looked for a different method of fastening it.

I think I will leave the plastic shield off of the bottom of the tank when I put it all back together. I see no need to have it there. I'll deal with the stone nicks on the tank, the rest of the bottom of the truck needs constant paint monitoring in this regard anyway.

As far as making a skid plate, I see no need for one. I've never had an issue with hitting the tank on things when I'm out in the brush...