HO questions.

My 2.5 has been a great, yet gutless, motor. I think i have found a good donor ,96 XJ, with 4.0 HO with around 125,xxx miles on it for $300. I haven't seen it yet but thought i would get some input before i pursued it more. Just a few questions. 1.) Is this swap possible for these year models? 2). If so, is this a fairly straight forward swap? 3). What were the trans options in the 96 model years?

Thanks in advance :cheers:

My 2.5 has been a great, yet gutless, motor. I think i have found a good donor ,96 XJ, with 4.0 HO with around 125,xxx miles on it for $300. I haven't seen it yet but thought i would get some input before i pursued it more. Just a few questions. 1.) Is this swap possible for these year models? 2). If so, is this a fairly straight forward swap? 3). What were the trans options in the 96 model years?

Thanks in advance :cheers:

The '96 XJ would have had an AX-15 if it's a five-speed, and an AW4 if it's an automatic. Those were the only transmissions used that year.

The swap is certainly possible. Physically, the 4.0L will drop right into the '90 chassis. You are going from a Renix to a Chrysler injection/ignition system, and from a 4-cylinder to a 6-cylinder, so you will need the complete wiring harness and computer from the XJ.

Alright thanks for the info everyone.

The swap is certainly possible. Physically, the 4.0L will drop right into the '90 chassis.

I know the core support and some of the front end will need to be swaped, but would i have alter firewalls and such to make the HO fit? Just wondering because i'm not set up for sheet metal work.

It all bolts straight in. For the radiator, you need to remove the 2.5 brackets from the header, and it fits right in. The two bottom holes are already there for the isolators on the bottom, too. You'll need the engine mount frame brackets (they're bolted to the framerails) and you'll need the motor mounts. 2.5 and 4.0 mounts look very similar, but they're different.

Not one bit of sheetmetal work required.

Jeff

It all bolts straight in. For the radiator, you need to remove the 2.5 brackets from the header, and it fits right in. The two bottom holes are already there for the isolators on the bottom, too. You'll need the engine mount frame brackets (they're bolted to the framerails) and you'll need the motor mounts. 2.5 and 4.0 mounts look very similar, but they're different.

Not one bit of sheetmetal work required.

Jeff

Thanks, well i will go see the truck later this afternoon.

:hijack:

Whamm I sent you a pm about that 96.. I need some parts off that Jeep if its being parted out.

It not being parted out, this was the price for the whole truck. PM sent.

I know the core support and some of the front end will need to be swapped, but would i have alter firewalls and such to make the HO fit? Just wondering because i'm not set up for sheet metal work.

You're thinking of the 86 MJs. 87+ Won't need those particular changes.