Anyone use landing lights???

A customer gave me a pair of aircraft landing lights. They are in housings that look like the round 5" chrome harbor freight lights. I pulled them apart to paint them. They have a sealed GE light that says aircraft landing not for high way use. They are 13v 100w. I hooked one to the battery in my subi and just one illuminated a tree about a 1/4 mile down my street. They seem to have a fairly focused beam. but I think that these will work great in conjunction with a wider focusing pair of lights.

HAHA. They guy that gave them to me told me that he had them on his yukon until he got a ticket for using them. I was just looking them up online, you can get them up to 450 watts.They are 6" by the way, the lamp its self is 5 3/4 so it fits into the rubber gasket that holds The fixture all together.

Here is a link landing lights are on the bottom of the page. The 5 3/4" lights fit in a standard 6" round housing. The glass looks pretty thick. I will post picks when I am done painting them tomorrow.

I never tried aircraft landing lights on my truck, but when I was stationed in VA., I did have the spotlight from a CH-46 for a searchlight, since I was always down in Hatteras during the NON-turtle season, and over in the Great Dismal swamp ALOT. I got the light off our sister squadron when one of their birds crashed. You want to talk about bright....ever seen the brightness of the light on the police choppers? Triple that, easily. :eek: :brows: And, yeah it WAS very hard on the electrical system. MAybe 2-3 minutes on its' own battery. :grrrr:

good luck with those

my buddy had 1 of them on his truck :yes: facing backwards

did'n have prob. with tailgaters or peoples high bemes

but he could only leave it on for a couple min at a time

alt. couldn't keep up it would start to kill his battery

maby u will have better luck but i would test it befor u put to much work in to them

I used to run them in the grille of my 1968 Mustang GT fastback.

When I was young and stupid I used to street race (no flames needed) and I set the car up to "evade authorities" which I had to do several times. I had the car wired so that a flick of a couple of switches would kill the license plate, brake and tail lights (brake as hard as I wanted without tipping off pursuer) and switch on the landing lights. The landing lights were VERY bright and the great thing about them is that they are very directional, meaning that from behind the car there is no glow from the sides to give you away. I even had a system that would pump ATF into the header and create the smoke screen from hell!! It would oil up their windshield pretty good too. Never did get caught. :D

I used to run them in the grille of my 1968 Mustang GT fastback.

When I was young and stupid I used to street race (no flames needed) and I set the car up to "evade authorities" which I had to do several times. I had the car wired so that a flick of a couple of switches would kill the license plate, brake and tail lights (brake as hard as I wanted without tipping off pursuer) and switch on the landing lights. The landing lights were VERY bright and the great thing about them is that they are very directional, meaning that from behind the car there is no glow from the sides to give you away. I even had a system that would pump ATF into the header and create the smoke screen from hell!! It would oil up their windshield pretty good too. Never did get caught. :D

lol... I envision James Bond.. jamminz.gif You should had another nozzle that sprayed oil on the road..Like that Spy Hunter Game..

I don't know how well the bulb will hold up. Airplanes don't see the level of abuse and jarring around that our poor trucks do. It is a very creative idea though, AMC would be proud, airplane parts on a jeep.

fly in turbulence much??? I figure with your handle that you do, which has me confused.

out at IFS in Colorado there were a couple of times that we flew and regretted it. Turned the plane in to maintenance when we were done just to make sure. We were getting kicked around on several occasions that I would say were harder than I generally experience in my Jeep, and that was only for 19 hops, the program runs year round.