AX-15 Pilot Bearing issue

Ok, so I'm knee deep in the AX-15 swap on my '88 MJ, right at half way to be exact. Anyways I pulled the old pilot bearing out and went to put in the new pilot bearing and come to find out they gave me a pilot bushing instead. Well went back up there to get the right one and ran into some issues. Noone had one instock for a '73 CJ5, and on top of that something just doesn't seem right. The size that the bearing has to be something crazy. (1" outside diameter with ~0.8125" inside diameter) I'm runnin up to a bearing company about 15-20mins from my house to hope they have it in stock. So is there something that I'm missin here? I'm loosing my mind with it and I've been like a month without being able to drive the truck and want her back by the weekend. Any help would be great.

-Cody

P.S. - Yes there will be a full write up on this thing....hopefully....it's really not that bad of a swap to do an AX-15 2wd hehehe ;)

I've been doing some research on this swap for a yj which THIS write up talks about how he had to sand down the outside diameter to get his to fit. Might be apples and oranges here, but it might help you out.

:cheers:

The CJ part is a bushing. Costs about $2.

What year is the AX-15?

According to the yard I got it at it's a '94. It's an external slave cylender/electric speedo setup if that changed anything. See what gets me is the input shaft on the AX-15 is HUGE compared to the BA-10/5. It almost seems that the input shaft on the AX-15 is the same size as the O.D. of the bearing that I pulled out of it.

And the bushing that you speak of from the CJ I've got, it's way to huge to even think about putting into the crank where the old bearing was at.

-Cody

Well I got it figured out, like the idiot that I am when I got the input bearing out I didn't check behind myself and get the old bushing out after the bearing came out, that's why it wouldn't fit. So got that out and the new in and gotta go grab a few things and then put the clutch in it and then the tranny and hopefully have it done tonight or tomorrow mid day.

I was gonna mention that the bearing rides inside the bushing...I had similar issues when I swapped an AX15 into mine. Glad you got it figured out.

Jeff

Yeah, got it......now dealin with the crossmember problems. Worked on it all day and I'm drained :ack: so I'll get back on it in the morning. I do have a question for you guys that did the swap. Did yall have to cut any of the floor for the shifter to clear? When I got the tranny up into place and bolted to the engine the spot where the shift tower bolts in is right at the edge of where the factory hole in the floor is. I think it might clear but just wanted to ask.

-Cody

you need to either cut yours or use the tranny-hump cover plate from an AX15 equipped vehicle (they're cut differently). Also, the tranny crossmember is slightly different for an AX15 versus an AX5/AW4/BA10/5...it's got a 1" divet in the center where the mount sits. I tried to reuse my AX5 crossmember, but couldn't get the TC linkage to line up and it put the exhaust/cat right against the floorboard. If yours is 4WD, you'll also need two specific pieces of the TC linkage assembly...the part that bolts to the inside of the tranny tunnel and the shift rod that connects the range lever on the case to the linkage. They are AX15 specific.

Jeff

you need to either cut yours or use the tranny-hump cover plate from an AX15 equipped vehicle (they're cut differently). Also, the tranny crossmember is slightly different for an AX15 versus an AX5/AW4/BA10/5...it's got a 1" divet in the center where the mount sits. I tried to reuse my AX5 crossmember, but couldn't get the TC linkage to line up and it put the exhaust/cat right against the floorboard. If yours is 4WD, you'll also need two specific pieces of the TC linkage assembly...the part that bolts to the inside of the tranny tunnel and the shift rod that connects the range lever on the case to the linkage. They are AX15 specific.

Jeff

We'll see, I'm gettin back on it today and hopefully finishing it, the other thing is I don't have to worry about the linkages, I'm still a 2wd.

-Cody

Well, everything is in and "working". By "working" I mean the truck runs, tranny works/shifts, everything is fine......but.....I think the slave cylender is shot. I thought to replace it before putting everything together but said nah it'll be ok. I bled it for like 20mins, had pedal but then it faded out, so I pumped the pedal and got it back, and so on and so forth.

Well it's runnin and moving under it's own power. I was right on the slave cylinder, it took two of them (the first one broke) before I got it fixed and working. Now she runs and moves but leaks about like the exxon valdes. The clutch fluid hose is leakin and the tailshaft has alittle leak :fs1: dang leaks!!!!

But hey.....it's driveable.....yay!! lol

-Cody