axle ?

i'm trying to identify the vehicles my axles are from.Image Not Found. the front axle. doesn't have a tag.

Image Not Found. this has a tag

4.09 d6ta bc

603663 1

i had the info on my computer in a file. but i can't access it.

thanks

HP D30 front, and a D44 rear with some stuff bolted on backwards (the id tag and the bracket for the rear height sensing valve)

and it looks like you have a nail in your driverside front tire :cheers:

Looks like the MJ came with 2nd Gen. Teraflex control arms on it, too. Oh, and I agree on the HP D-30 front, D-44 rear. The rear axle is an esp. nice bonus. :thumbsup:

Newbie question, but how can you tell it's an HP D30 in the front? What does the HP stand for? Is this the axle that has the D44 housings but D30 internals? It looks to me like a D44 swapping in the front, so I must be missing some identifying characteristics.

jeepcoma, see the posting rules for this forum......there's no such thing as a "newbie" question ;)

HP stands for High Pinion, refering to the relationship of the pinion gear to the ring gear inside the diff housing. All Jeep D30's were/are HP except for 2000-2001 XJ's and TJ axles, which are low pinion. Meaning, the pinion engages the ring gear below the centerline of the axle. Strength-wise, the difference is nominal at most (I won't get into that discussion here, yet), but the LP axles have a worse driveshaft pinion angle, which is less conducive to angles associated with lifting said vehicles. All said, HP axles are better. You can easily spot the difference between LP versus HP by looking at the housing and seeing where the pinion is cast, but in the pic above you can see by the location of the fill plug on the front that it's HP. It's higher than the LP fill plug (because more lube is needed in the HP models so that the pinion bearing gets lubed).

Jeff

edit: I've got a LP D30 in my TJ and a HP D30 in my MJ, I'll snap a couple pics in the morning when it's light out and post them so you can see the physical differences

Umm.... I hate to make waves (not really, I love it), but if that first pic, with the rust colored diff cover is your front (which I know it is, since I see the tie-rod), it's not a Dana 30... That is a D44 Cover (same exact shape as the rear D44)... Unless I've had a few too many BL Limes...

This is what my D30 Axle looks like, and that pic ain't this...

dana30.jpg

Surfs' up. If you look at the lower part of both housings in the pix, the D44 has a small flat "lip" hanging down at the bottom of the cover, and the front axle does not. The covers are pretty similar in shape, I'll give you that. I have the D44 under my XJ AND my MJ, and I have had the lids off many times, for assorted reasons. The lids DO NOT interchange, but the YOKES DO. This is good because IF you can find the axles from an old CJ, you can easily switch the CJ "U"bolt style yokes in place of the stupid "strap and bolt" style that the XJ/MJ have.

you know Wade....now that I'm looking at the pics a bit more closely, I think I agree with ya. I don't see a CAD on the passenger side, and if you look at the profile shot from underneath of the rear axle and look at the relationship of the driverside front tire to the rock/nerf rails, it seems like the WMS is pretty wide (plus the aftermarket barbed vent fitting on the front diff), I'd say it's a widetrack D44 from a FSJ.

Dakal....what's the bolt pattern on those axles?

Jeff

Surfs' up. If you look at the lower part of both housings in the pix, the D44 has a small flat "lip" hanging down at the bottom of the cover, and the front axle does not. The covers are pretty similar in shape, I'll give you that. I have the D44 under my XJ AND my MJ, and I have had the lids off many times, for assorted reasons. The lids DO NOT interchange, but the YOKES DO. This is good because IF you can find the axles from an old CJ, you can easily switch the CJ "U"bolt style yokes in place of the stupid "strap and bolt" style that the XJ/MJ have.

I ain't seen many Front D44's, but every D30 Axle i've seen, both low and hi Pinion looks NOTHING like the one the OP posted...

thanks for the info

i know the front axle is a 44. its out of a ford or dodge. or its a ford with dodge disks.

i compared the housing with the pic of the d30 and its nothing like it. also the guy who i had work on it said it was.

my question is... what trucks did they come from?? :wall:

whats a fsj

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

front and rear nighttime pics. rebuilt driveshafts

Image Not Found. it has warn manual hubs with moser axles. its full width. as you can see it sticks out 4 in.

For a while there, I thought you all were crazy. :) That is not a Dana 30.

They both are Dana 44s. The easy way to tell is by the assymmetrical covers.

I know, I kept going back and looking for another pic of a D30 I missed.

x111 that its a D44. front and rear.

I tried the BoM searches for you...no info unfortunately. You are going to have a tough time finding out what they came out of most likely.

FSJ = Full Size Jeep

SJ alone was the body code for the old full-size Grand Wagoneers & Cherokees.

I think that we need a "full width" picture, so we can see where the diff. is located: under the motor ( like an Early Bronco ) or more normal, also does it have locking hubs, or what. Yes, I know that the EB axle is NOT a HP, but a fullwidth could have been cut down, etc.....