Is this shackle angle ok? (Pic)

I recenlty installed the adjustable lift shackles from Rough Country.

Is the angle ok? Its steeper than stock.

I am inclined to leave it alone as I'm happy with the lift and the ride seems un-affected.

Is there anything I should be concerned with?

IMG_1831%20(800%20x%20600).jpg

I recenlty installed the adjustable lift shackles from Rough Country.

Is the angle ok? Its steeper than stock.

I am inclined to leave it alone as I'm happy with the lift and the ride seems un-affected.

Is there anything I should be concerned with?

IMG_1831%20(800%20x%20600).jpg

A little steeper than mine, but looks okay. I have the Tearflex shackles.

Image Not Found

I'm pretty sure you want the shackle to be as close to a 45* angleas possible

here are mine

It depends on whether it's spring under or spring over, and how flat the springs are.

For a typical spring-under, like a stock MJ, there's a lot of arch in the spring. The shackle should be basically vertical, because when the spring compresses it gets flatter and longer, and when it droops it needs to pull the shackle forward.

In a SOA like a stock XJ, the spring is basically flat at rest. It can't get any longer, so the shackle can/should point back. The spring arches more and gets shorter whether the suspension compresses or droops, so the shackle will never need to swing farther back.

For a typical spring-under, like a stock MJ, there's a lot of arch in the spring. The shackle should be basically vertical, because when the spring compresses it gets flatter and longer, and when it droops it needs to pull the shackle forward.

This is a great explanation - thanks!!

I am SU with new leafs with plenty of arch so it seems I'm right where I should be.

In a SOA like a stock XJ, the spring is basically flat at rest. It can't get any longer, so the shackle can/should point back. The spring arches more and gets shorter whether the suspension compresses or droops, so the shackle will never need to swing farther back.

Sorry, but I'd have to dis-agree with this... SOA or SUA, the static arch of the spring is the same no matter where your axle is. Same goes for the general rules as far as travel of the spring pack.

No matter what your application is, you will get the best performance with around a 45* shackle angle. The ride won't get real bad until you have a negative angle, it's just the straighter the shackle, the less droop you will have.

Sorry, but I'd have to dis-agree with this... SOA or SUA, the static arch of the spring is the same no matter where your axle is. Same goes for the general rules as far as travel of the spring pack.

No matter what your application is, you will get the best performance with around a 45* shackle angle. The ride won't get real bad until you have a negative angle, it's just the straighter the shackle, the less droop you will have.

Ever look at an XJ spring? It's flat. MJ springs are arched.

It DOES make a difference.

Ever look at an XJ spring? It's flat. MJ springs are arched.

It DOES make a difference.

Yeah, I have an XJ and wheeled it to it's death...

You are comparing XJs to MJs.... I was comparing SUA to SOA, with the same springs, sorry for any confusion.

All I'm saying is just moving the axle doesn't effect the arch of the spring, so SUA or SOA are not relevant to your shackle angle. You are correct that the arch of the spring has an effect, just not the axle position.

PS: XJ springs aren't flat, but they do have very little arch at ride height. Once they sag (like most you see now) they are pretty much flat.

I'm pretty sure you want the shackle to be as close to a 45* angleas possible

here are mine

I relocated my upper shackle mounting hole to increase my angle. It made a noticable difference in ride and flex. I could fully flex 16" travel shocks. Now I just need some...

Image Not Found

Anything less then 15 degrees will ride harsh because the spring causes the body to need to rise over bumps.

Greaseable shackle and rear spring eye bushings help flex and ride with the proper shackle angle. This will allow the spring to flex freely.

Keep the front spring eye rubber to absorb road shock and impact forces.

All I'm saying is just moving the axle doesn't effect the arch of the spring, so SUA or SOA are not relevant to your shackle angle. You are correct that the arch of the spring has an effect, just not the axle position.

PS: XJ springs aren't flat, but they do have very little arch at ride height. Once they sag (like most you see now) they are pretty much flat.

Except that in stock form, most SUA springs have significant arch and most SOA springs sit basically flat.

And XJ springs don't have arch. If anything, the rear tip arches DOWN, not up. They are, for all practical purposes, flat when installed in a vehicle, and that's what counts regarding which way the eye has to move when the suspension compresses or droops.

I relocated my upper shackle mounting hole to increase my angle. It made a noticable difference in ride and flex. I could fully flex 16" travel shocks. Now I just need some...

Image Not Found

Anything less then 15 degrees will ride harsh because the spring causes the body to need to rise over bumps.

Interesting Tim. No room to re-hole on mine w/o changing the spring mounting plates; mine are different than in your pic. That an XJ?

Image Not Found

Don thats the difference between the SWB and LWB mounts.

Ah, I remember now about the mounts causing problems when I tried to install a rear MJ sway bar that was designed to fit the SWB. Thanks Motion for ringing my bell! :cheers: