Headliner Board

Let me know how it fits as well as pics just in case the fiberglass homemade job falls threw. I cut the fiberglass mat to fit and now just need to start putting the resin on (If I can get rid of this DAMN PINK EYE) :headpop: and if it will quit raining every afternoon.

Cole

I am hopeing if its as rigid as i think it will be it should sit just like the stock one but there is a ridge around the inside of mine i could throw some screws in and cover it with the fabric if all else fails.

Cole

My girly laughed her head off over the fact that anyone on this forum goes to JoAnns.

How are you guys keeping it stuck up?

well where else am i to go to get headliner fabric? it is right in town so i don't have to drive far and its very cheap. after all i was on a mission for fabric and its a fabric store. they even have great leather stuff to make seat covers out of for when your seats are in as bad a shape as my chevy bench was.

alex

You guys are making this way to hard.

If you have a broken headliner just fix it with duct tape.

The headliner is supposed to be plyable not rigid like fiberglass resin is going to make it.

If you need to reinforce it just cut out some pieces of an XJ headliner and lay them over the MJ headliner where it is broken and use plyable spray adhesives or still use duct tape.

The headliner must be plyable to put it back in.

I have the old headliner from my 1989 MJ. I took it out years ago. I am going to clean up the fiberglass and then I am going to coat the inside of it with the spray on truck bedliner product that I am a dealer for and then put it back into the 1987 that I just bought that is missing the fabric off of it's liner.

I'll let you guys know how this turns out.

Aaron

The headliner is supposed to be plyable not rigid like fiberglass resin is going to make it.

If you need to reinforce it just cut out some pieces of an XJ headliner and lay them over the MJ headliner where it is broken and use plyable spray adhesives or still use duct tape.

The headliner must be plyable to put it back in.

I have the old headliner from my 1989 MJ. I took it out years ago. I am going to clean up the fiberglass and then I am going to coat the inside of it with the spray on truck bedliner product that I am a dealer for and then put it back into the 1987 that I just bought that is missing the fabric off of it's liner.

I'll let you guys know how this turns out.

Aaron

What truck bedliner product are you a dealer for? I was going to clean my roof and spray it with some cheap old bedliner spray from Autozone.

I know i seen someone on here wanting a pic of the roof on the inside without a headliner but i can't find the post. Anyway if you still need it leet me know and ill take a few while mines out.

Cole

That's me! I still have my wood all stained up and ready to go on the ceiling, but don't know how to mount it.

Yeah. Considering the heat above the headliner in summer, good duct tape should last at least two weeks, maybe three, before it completely peels off. The cheap stuff I'd give a week, tops.

Not a good idea at all.

You only have to fix the headliner boad with the duct tape long enough to get the coach works to re-cover it with new foam backed upholstry and to get it back up into the cab of the truck. Unless it is broken into 2 or 3 large pieces, the DUCT tape will work just fine.

As for duct tape only lasting 2 or 3 weeks, the stuff that I put on my furnace in my house 3 years ago it just fine. The duct tape on the front my of girl friends old Honda Civic, that her sister now owns, has been on there for 3 years holding the lower part of the bumper together.

Quit buying your duct tape at the dollar store and get a good $10 roll of 3M stuff from the hardware store.

I custom make the headliner panel. It is a hand formed stiff cardboad

panel material and it is already covered ready to install. I would

consider a group purchase of atleast 10 people. Panel cost would be $105

with shipping included anywhere in the United States.

You can choose your color, and it will be done, and delivered for a buck oh five. Do we have nine other folks (min) that want in??

Tom jamminz.gif

I just fixed my sagger this weekend.... pulled it out, peeled back half the fabric, sprayed the fiberglass and the fabric with 3M "77" spray adhesive and layed it back down lining up the pre-cut holes. then did the other half the same way. doing half at a time kept everything all lined up and stretched just enough. i checked it a couple of hours later and it was all smooth a looking good.

W

:Canadaflag:

oh ya... anyone ever installed a sound bar from a XJ in their MJ?

i have one from my donor, just wondering what i can do with it.

Hello everyone! I am the one that makes the headliner panels for the Comanche's.

As far as cutting them out to fit a sunroof, I do not do that.

How is the interior part of the sunroof trimmed out?

Do you have pictures?

If you can remove your sunroof glass, you might be able to adapt my panel to fit your sunroof.

After removing the sunroof glass and you have initially installed the new headliner panel, you could mark the outline of your opening on the back of the panel.

Once you have done this you would remove the panel and cut the opening on the panel. When I make your panel, I would not adhere the material to the center of the panel. The material would be adhered to the perimeter of the panel itself.

Depending on how your sunroof interior is trimmed out, i.e.; Metal trim, Rubber seal, "U" Grip seal, etc.... you would be able to determine how much of the material you would need to trim to allow for the opening.

I'm sure I could trim it. I can pop the glass out and trace the opening.

The sunroof trim on the inside is part of the rubber gasket, it has a channel that runs all the way around it. I'll get some pics and post them up. It's basically the same sunroof as what was in the XJ.

The pictures will be helpful.

Unfortunately, I have been replacing headliners for over 22 years and have seen my share of sunroofs. Along with that it is very hard for me to know one from the other without actually looking at it.

I will wait on your pictures and reply.

I will be heading south for 3 days but will have access to my email and internet but only during the early to mid afternoon thru Thursday.

I will reply as soon as I can.