Headliner Board

I was wandering if there is anywhere i can aquire a headliner or even just the hardboard. I just took mine out and its broken into 3 pieces and is only held together by the Fabric (where it still is stuck up). Anyhelp is appreciated.

Cole

I didnt even think of that but i did think of this what if i was to take the front half of a XJ headliner and cut it to fit????What does everyone think. I knoe the cab forward is the same and i have a parts XJ. Let me kow your thoughts on this.

Cole

i was just thinking again and yes it was scary but i realized that i overlooked one thing.......The %@*# roof is sloped different at the back but i think i might try it and see if i can fanagle it in to place and hopefully it will still look alright. :brows:

Cole

As of about a year ago the factory warehouse still had a few NEW headliners. I think the only colour available was grey, which was fine with me because that's the only colour I'd want.

I am also considering tinkering with an XJ headliners, because my '88 MJ came with nothing. The problem is the back end -- the stock moldboard curves down over the rear window, and I don't know if it's going to be possible to match that profile with a chopped XJ board. However, if you have the tail end from an MJ board, perhaps the curved section could be overlaid (or uderleaid) to make the transition.

i have one sitting outside the garage

might be wet tho

If the board is intact -- I'm interested. The fabric isn't important as long as the board is solid and not bent or broken.

How far is Granby from New Haven, CT?

I was wandering if there is anywhere i can aquire a headliner or even just the hardboard. I just took mine out and its broken into 3 pieces and is only held together by the Fabric (where it still is stuck up). Anyhelp is appreciated.

Cole

Aren't the headliner boards made of fiberglass? If so, what about putting the pieces together and joining them on the back side using boat fiberglass and resin? You can buy glass fiber in rolls of various widths, like 2" or 4". I would think a layer or two of tape and resin maybe 6" wide would provide a decent weld.

Are they fiberglass? I thought they were just fiberboard (meaning glorified cardboard). When it stops raining I'll run out to the 86 (the only MJ I have that still has what's left of its headliner).

i have one sitting outside the garage

might be wet tho

If the board is intact -- I'm interested. The fabric isn't important as long as the board is solid and not bent or broken.

How far is Granby from New Haven, CT?

if i remember right its not bent or anything

ill check it an get back to you

also if you don't need it right away my brother goes to QU and could probably bring it down

Build up a couple of plies on the back (top) side to hold it together, then sand the joints smooth on the fabric side and maybe put a thin coat of resin to seal it. Probably worth a try.

JoAnn Fabrics carries headliner fabric in most of their stores, BTW.

i don't even have a board in mine. my 86 didnt have a liner in it when i bought it and i made one for my 88 before so i made one for my 86 also. here is what i did.

measured for a size for the fabric and insulation.

bought some duct work bubble style insulation that comes in a roll at lowes. some 3M 90 strength spray adhesive in the green cans i think at lowes. and then some liner fabric that has the foam attached to the backside from jo-ann fabrics. they have many colors. my 88 was gray and my 86 is black. they also had red and a few other colors.

i also used some of the white insulation foam to fill gaps but that is because my mj has been rust proofed with POR-15.

then i just sprayed the entire roof with 3M 90 and put the duct work insulation up. then spray that with the 3M 90 and put up the liner fabric. then just cut to fit and tuck the fabric behind all the plastic trim.

it stays a lot cooler in the cab now. my mj is black and it stays cooler then my girlfriends silver cavalier. so it might be an option for ya. i will get some pics of how it looks so you can see how well it looks.

alex

Those pics would be great. I have also been thinking of using foam to cover the roof then attach the fabric to that. So many ideas i just need to decide which i will do.

PS what did you do to the front and back where the plastic don't cover the fabric???

Cole

here are the pics. sorry for the delay. i have not finished trimming yet, but everything else is nice and smooth. i am going to trim right above the rear window and right along the edge of the metal above the windshield.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

alex

Ok i got my hands on some free fiberglass 5x15 ft roll and resin so here is the plan... I will lay down the old board and cover it in the fiberglass and lay the resin to it allow to dry and then romove the fiberglass piece and clean it up a little and cover it with foam and fabric and it should be good to go. How does everyone think it sounds???I will post up if it works and then everyone else will have a idea to try if they want to. Thanks for all of the input on this topic it has been very helpful.

Cole

just to throw my hat into the ring, as I too need a new headliner.

At lowes, near the pegboard they sell the "fiberboard"

I was going to make a factory replacement out of that. I saw one in the yard and it was most certainly not fiberglass, but something like a pressed cardboard.

Anyway, Lowes has pegboard without holes, in a thickness that seemed to mach the one I saw in the yard. Too bad that one was destryoed too, or I would have grabbed it.

Eagle is correct about the fabric at Jo Ane fabrics, it even has that foam backer on it.

Mine is also the pressed cardboard stuff but i was thinking this would be easy to manipulate into the right shape and also be pretty thick and last a good while. Think the peg board would be hard to get to bend correctly without braking it.

Cole