Swapping D44 for 8.8

It may sound crazy, but I have been wanting to get my 44 re-geared from 3.55s to 4.10s and put disc brakes on it. If i were to find an 8.8 with 4.10s and discs I could probably swap it in for a lot less than what it would cost to regear, convert the drums, and there would be less down time. What do you guys think i should do?

Personally, I'd regear the D44 to 4.10s, put semi-metallic linings in, remove the rear proportioning valve, and have more rear brakes than I could possibly need. I absolutely do not understand why anyone thinks putting disc brakes on the rear of an MJ is a "must have" modification. Those 10 x 2-1/2 drums will stop a bus, fer Gawd's sake.

Yes.

If you can find an 8.8 for less that $250 with 4:10's the 8.8 kit from MORE is $200. So for ~$450 you can have an 8.8 with 4.10s and discs.

A dana 44 gear swap will run around $300 and the disc swap anywhere from $200 to $600.

8.8 cost ~$450

44 cost ~$500-900

those estimates are all DIY

I say do it. plus once you get the 8.8 you can sell the 44 for a pretty penny and that will make the change much cheaper. then later down the road you can get the super 8.8 kit and ditch the c-clips.

I absolutely do not understand why anyone thinks putting disc brakes on the rear of an MJ is a "must have" modification. Those 10 x 2-1/2 drums will stop a bus, fer Gawd's sake.

Ever cleaned mud out of drums? :D I switched to disks just to never do that again. jamminz.gif

Ever trash a rotor because a stone got caught behind the caliper?

YMMV but IMHO discs are more of a liability in an off-road vehicle than drums. I wanted discs on my race cars. I feel no need for them whatsoever in a Jeep that gets driven off-road.

To each his own. I'll skip the constant drum brake adjustments because the "self adjusters" never work, and the rotting out of the shoe springs and levers other and misc. antiquated hardware, and stick to disks. On and off road. Makes no sense IMHO to keep drum brakes for any conditions.

To each his own. I'll skip the constant drum brake adjustments because the "self adjusters" never work, and the rotting out of the shoe springs and levers other and misc. antiquated hardware, and stick to disks. On and off road. Makes no sense IMHO to keep drum brakes for any conditions.

I COMPLETELY agree.

the only thing, for off-road trucks, is that I ALWAYS remove the dust shields.

however, with rear discs you can't really remove the dust shield if you want to keep crap from getting inside the drum parking brake assembly.

If you can find an 8.8 for less that $250 with 4:10's the 8.8 kit from MORE is $200.

$200 for what? 2 spring perches? a parking brake cable kit? matching yolk?

I don't think that he is taking into account the fact that you can buy a late 90's 8.8 with discs straight from the yard for $200

If you can find an 8.8 for less that $250 with 4:10's the 8.8 kit from MORE is $200.

$200 for what? 2 spring perches? a parking brake cable kit? matching yolk?

I don't think that he is taking into account the fact that you can buy a late 90's 8.8 with discs straight from the yard for $200

Actually I am. I just used the MORE kit as an example. It includes perches, shock mounts and hardware.

Well I'll tell you. I have both and will take the 44 any day.

Its NOT Stregnth thing as I feel thatthe 8.8 is stronger. But the 8.8 has an enourmous case!! I have drug that acursed thing over half the rocks in Paragon!!! My 44 seems to clear most of them.

The 44 is the correct width. Not a huge thing, but one more in the pro 44 colum.

Disc brakes.. I like the better stopping on steep grades. I'll take my chances with them offroad. They have saved me more thn once in the TJ.

don't overlook the ever important "coolness factor". :doh: :hmm: :shake:

The bottom line is you will be fine with EITHER ONE!! Save your coin, this is one time I think the cheaper route is just fine!!

CW

Well I'll tell you. I have both and will take the 44 any day.

Its NOT Stregnth thing as I feel thatthe 8.8 is stronger. But the 8.8 has an enourmous case!! I have drug that acursed thing over half the rocks in Paragon!!! My 44 seems to clear most of them.

The 44 is the correct width. Not a huge thing, but one more in the pro 44 colum.

Disc brakes.. I like the better stopping on steep grades. I'll take my chances with them offroad. They have saved me more thn once in the TJ.

don't overlook the ever important "coolness factor". :doh: :hmm: :shake:

The bottom line is you will be fine with EITHER ONE!! Save your coin, this is one time I think the cheaper route is just fine!!

CW

All of your points are right. I really agree with the disc comment, and the fac t that the 8.8 is a pig. It also takes a crap load of oil, especially if you start rotating the pinion angle