Shocks

I agree, I picked up some sensatracks for a Cherokee super cheap; the fronts are a direct fit, the rears are a bit different and don't have enough travel (plus they need to be modified), so I expect them to wear out more quickly, but it's a huge improvement and for the price I don't mind using them until they blow up or I find the correct part for cheap.

I've got Monroe Sensatracs on the front of my 89. I believe they are the rear shocks from a 95 F1/250ish truck. Monroe Sensatrac p/n 37134. My truck is lifted though, they aren't a stock replacement. The fancy shocks at 4wheelparts were outrageous so I went to Napa and browsed their catalog for an hour till I found some long enough. I used some bar pins off some old shocks to make em work. They ride great, I like em, nothing special but "perfection is the enemy of good enough". image_209027.gif

I don't have a good picture of them, but I think they have about 11" of travel and are 28" fully extended....

I agree, I picked up some sensatracks for a Cherokee super cheap; the fronts are a direct fit, the rears are a bit different and don't have enough travel (plus they need to be modified), so I expect them to wear out more quickly, but it's a huge improvement and for the price I don't mind using them until they blow up or I find the correct part for cheap.

all 4 of mine are from a cherokee, granted I used the cherokee shackles in back so the rears are OK at worst. I also just pulled the bushings from my old rears and put them on the new ones. perfect fit now.

all 4 of mine are from a cherokee, I also just pulled the bushings from my old rears and put them on the new ones. perfect fit now.

Same here, got them new from a Cherokee that was lifted and needed longer shocks. The front part number is identical for the MJ and XJ, so they are perfect. I did the same as you with the rear, I cut the upper mount out of the XJ shock, removed my MJ shock, and pressed out the rubber isolator and swapped it into the XJ shock and it fits perfect. The travel specs aren't quite the same, but for now it's good enough.

4 Wheep Parts sells the ProComp shocks. The ES9000's are what I use on all 3 of our trucks and love them. They are not expensive at about $40 - $45 each typically. I know you can find them other places, but 4WP / ProComp are the same company so they have the most in stock ;)

I would not put hte Monroe "car" shocks on my trucks :no: ;) :cheers:

If you are stock to 2" lifted the Monroe Sensatracks (already mentioned) are whjat I have used and will use on everyvehicle that I own. I had them on the wifes WJ, they are now on here KJ. I had them on my MJ. We also have them in the garage waiting for warmer weather. They are going on the XJ I built for my Pop. GREAT SHOCKS for near stock applications.

Wait and watch they offer a buy 3 get the 4th free almost every spring.

CW

4 Wheep Parts sells the ProComp shocks. The ES9000's are what I use on all 3 of our trucks and love them. They are not expensive at about $40 - $45 each typically. I know you can find them other places, but 4WP / ProComp are the same company so they have the most in stock ;)

for a little more coin there are some Monroe "Reflex" shocks that my boss loved on his truck. They are supposed to still ride great but they have much better roll control from what he said. I used the sensatracs cause they were free from a buddy and only had about 2k miles on them. When I replace again I will go with the Reflexes.

Monotubes are the way to go. Most of the cheaper shocks are a twin tube design, twin tubes just can't match the Monotube ride.

I have the KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, they are monotube and ride very well. CarQuest sells them, http://www.rockauto.com also sells them.

Dissenting opinion here. I tried KYB Gas-A-Justs on my '88 Cherokee because my brother assured me they were great. I hated them. Very harsh over small bumps and pavement cracks. I took them off and replaced them with Monroes, which I have been extremely happy with.

Another vote for Monroe SensaTracks.

Brent, "ASSuming" you are referring to the Sensatracs, they are available for several applications IIRC and they are listed under the Light Truck application on Monroe's website in addition to passenger car models. I don't think that makes it a "car" shock, I would be pretty sure it's the same technology just in a higher capacity shock. In fact, they make a "1 Ton" Sensatrac for certain trucks.

Yea...that was just a little of me being a smart a$$ ;) ...I guess it throws things off because I don't do it often :doh:

The fact remains for me though...I do not buy shocks for my trucks at an auto parts store as I have never seen them have anything that was really any better than the stock junk that comes on them. Just because they have a good warranty on them is no reason to compromise. I drive lifted trucks...I don't expect a "soft" ride ;) :thumbsup:

My truck is lifted, but also my dd. I have Monroes meant for a compact car up front, Gabriel out back. Cheapest shocks I could find in the length I needed. It rides like a car and handles better than stock ride height with stock shocks, but that may be due to the old suspension being worn out. It's a compact truck without any payload capacity to speak off, so it shouldn't ride like a truck.

My Cherokee with Skyjackers rides like a 3/4 ton truck, though. This summer may be the first time in my life I'm going to junk a set of almost brand new shocks.

In anticipation of a small (1-2") lift, I went with Monroe Sensatrac from a ZJ V8 with UpCountry. They are a little longer than stock, but I have not found any problems with running them at stock height while I wait to install the lift.

For the rear, I went with Monroe's Monromatic Plus line of shocks. I went with rears from a toyota T100 pickup with the SR5 package. As with the fronts, they are longer than stock, but I have not had any issues at stock height. THey were a direct fit.

If I had to do it again, I would definately run what I have up front, but the rears seem a bit harsh. I am actually waffling on the idea of lifting it at all, and if I decide not to, I will probably swap out the rears for a pair of sensatracs that are correct for the MJ.

Front: ZJ UpCountry Monroe Sensatrac shocks (37193). 13.375" compressed and 24.250" extended

Rear: 1993 Toyota T100 4x4 SR5 V6 Monroe Monro-Matic Plus (32270). 15.125" compressed and 25" extended