New Guy and an old truck

Hows it going everybody, I'm Cody. Just picked up a '88 Comanche LB 2wd 4.0 I-6 5spd about a week ago. Drove an hour to go haul it back. It's got 192,XXX miles on it and all it needed was a outer tie-rod put on it (plus a few other non major issues...or so I so I thought lol) for $300. The only real bad things are the rust issues over the fender in the rear and the rear bumper.

I'm not 100% what the plans are gonna be for it. So far I've added a set of newer Jeep wheels that I picked up for $50 just to help the look. Next thing up I think will be a 2 or 3 inch lift on it. Anyways on to the pics...

When I first got her home..

New shots from today at the G/F's house...

Yeah I've honestly have a list wrote out of things I need/want to do. I'm going to the parts yard in a day or two and try to find some stuff. The only thing that I'm worried about is the fact that today on the way home from work the truck started to make a light wine/whisle noise when I'm 1/2 throttle or more, and it sounds like it's comming from the tranny or the rear end. Anyone have an idea of what might be causing that?

-Cody

the truck started to make a light wine/whisle noise when I'm 1/2 throttle or more, and it sounds like it's comming from the tranny or the rear end. Anyone have an idea of what might be causing that?

-Cody

Real hard to tell with that limited info.

-Start by checking all your fluids if you haven't yet.

-Bearing & u-joints have been known to make noises like that too

-Could be coming from the engine...what shape is the intake tube from the air box to the throttle body in?

Real hard to tell with that limited info.

-Start by checking all your fluids if you haven't yet.

-Bearing & u-joints have been known to make noises like that too

-Could be coming from the engine...what shape is the intake tube from the air box to the throttle body in?

I checked the rearend fluid and toped it off (alittle bit low), I tried to check the tranny fluid level but couldn't figure out where the level screw/plug was at. I couldn't figure it out from the book I have.

I checked the rear bearings, they seem fine(they spun free and easy)

The intake tube is fine, gotta little bit of oil from blow by in it, but no cuts/rips/holes in it.

I'm thinking that if it's something halfway major in the rear end I'm just gonna go try to get a Dana 35, 40 or a Ford 8.8 and just swap it out. I figure with what it would cost to go threw my crappy rear end I'd be better off just to get a little bit better of a unit.

Oh yeah and last night I drove it and it sounded like the wineing was comming from the tranny, but I'm not sure. I'm gonna mess with her and see if anything changes or if I can pin point the noise.

Thanks guys, Cody :USAflag:

If you decide to mess with the rear end, you probably have a D35 back there now...and you don't want that or to spend any money on it...it's junk. The D44 or Ford 8.8 are the easiest swaps and much stronger.

The tranny fluid plugs have a square hole in them that looks like a 3/8 drive ratchet extension will fit in it...BUT...it won't. It is an odd size that I can not remember right now. I'll see if I can find it...

EDIT: It appears to be a 5/16" square. You can either grind down a 3/8" extension to fit or go buy a short piece of 5/16" solid stock from the hardware store and use a wrench to turn it. :cheers:

The plug size is close to 5/16".I took a 5/16" allen socket and grinded off two points 180* apart and it worked find.Mine made a simular noise from the drive line when I got it but after the fluid was changed in the trans. and diff. it went away

Hope this helps :cheers:

I'm hopeing that it does the same for me.

On a little bit of a different note, just went out and messed with the truck alittle(it's lunch time now lol) I found out something that worries me (I think it was caused by me not paying attention when I replaced the valve cover gasket), I found creamy white on the oil dipstick. If I remember right thats water, but it's not loosing any from the cooling system so I think it may have got in there when I changed the gasket. Anyways truck is getting all fluids changed, today and hopefully will be good as new again.

-Cody

Hopefully it's not a blown head gasket change the oil and keep an eye on the temp.I've also seen condinsation cause milky build up on aluminum valve covers but not enough to show on the dip stick.

Is it milky inside of the oil fill cap also?

Yeah theres alittle build up, and talking about the temp guage. The funny part of all of these issues has been the fact that all of this started about the time I replaced the thermostat, but I don't think and hope it's not the head gasket.

-Cody

If you decide to mess with the rear end, you probably have a D35 back there now...and you don't want that or to spend any money on it...it's junk. The D44 or Ford 8.8 are the easiest swaps and much stronger.

The tranny fluid plugs have a square hole in them that looks like a 3/8 drive ratchet extension will fit in it...BUT...it won't. It is an odd size that I can not remember right now. I'll see if I can find it...

EDIT: It appears to be a 5/16" square. You can either grind down a 3/8" extension to fit or go buy a short piece of 5/16" solid stock from the hardware store and use a wrench to turn it. :cheers:

????

My 3/8 drive 3" extension fits fine in the square hole on both my D30s as well as the D35 in the MJ. Xj has an 8.25 with rubber plug so it doesn't apply there.

So yeah, I changed all fluids but the tranny and the noise is gone from what I can tell and so far I haven't seen any water residue in the oil, so as of right now I'm sayin yay! lol. Even better, tomorrow I'm going down to pull-a-part with my girlfriend b/c there's a Comanche and a hand full of Cherokees down there that we're gonna go get some stuff from. :banana:

-Cody