MJ - XJ differences?

The mj has a different brake proportional valve in the engine compartment, and a load sensing valve on the frame above the axle. The mj has its gas tank in front of the axle, xj behind axle. The mj has a diffrent frame in the rear and the tail lights are different. The fuel pumps are different. The rear ends mount differently. The mj has a foot operated e-brake, so the e-brake cables are different... I believe the the grills are different (maybe not??)

Not sure if XJs came with different color grilles, but they do interchange among same-era rigs.

Floor pans under the seats are different, making seat swapping a bit more challenging, but not impossible. Roofs are different in contour too.

LOL yeah aside from the obvious. I should have said that before, Aside from the bed, tail lights, roof and 4drs... Its good to know about the Fuel pump and the floors. I was wanting to swap in some XJ seats in place of the bench. I really liked my XJs and wanted to chop mine to have a bed... Once I get to wheelin my MJ I think I will agree that its better but I'm liking it alot.

Buy using the bottom part, up to and including the bottom half of the sliders off the MJ seat, you can slide XJ seats onto them. The sliders are the same, just the bottom brackets are different. But you will have to weld a rod onto the passenger slider as the MJ bench seat just has a cable going from the driver side handle to the passenger side release.

Or drill out the spot welds to take the MJ bottom brackets off, and bolt them to the XJ sliders using some 1/4" bolts.

Fuel pumps are the same. The difference is in the sender unit.

Giffer, you are correct, MJ rear leafs are longer than XJ leaf packs. I've heard of XJ owners putting MJ packs on their rigs as the increased arc of making them fit gave them a decent lift.

A sidenote to Hornbrod's comment about fender flares. Front flares on XJs and MJs ARE interchangeable, but definitely not the rears.