Junk yarding

I ran into a older XJ today with auto and 4wd. This Jeep had warn hubs and command trac emblem on the lift gate.. Is command trac the NP 242? And it being a 4cyl and auto make it have 4.10's in it right? There were actully 2 4cyl autos there.. They looked kinda old like early models.. Would those be good swaps?? I didnt even check to see what rear ends they had but Ill be going back down there this thursday.. Any special things to look for???

I don't have any answers...but would make a good write up thread...

Things to look for at the JY...or things you probably should get even if you don't really need it yourself kind of checklist for us JY newbies to take with us when we go...

I remember looking up specs for something on my Blackberry (in the rain) last time I went a few months ago...

SW2

Dang SWII you know in a month that thread would include every know part of a Jeep don't you??? And I'm using Jeep real loosely... "Yeah pick up a 86 blah off a XJ,, " don't forget the TJ's from years blah, blah..." 1999 ZJ's blah, blah....."

Thing I mostly run into is when pulling your own parts is running out of time... I feel like its a crazy dash, like one of those supermarket games where you have like two mins to fill a cart with whatever you can...........

Know what mean.....

ummmm one more thing... The tech question is still up for answers.. Maybe this thread should be in the pub.. :dunno:

They make hub conversions for the D30...it's an expensive kit at about $1200 - $1300...

4.10's were what was used in the 4cyl - 5spd set-ups...I am not sure what may be in the 4cyl - auto.

Did you happen to get a VIN# for me to check it for you?

If the two autos are an 87-89 model, they should have 4.56's in them. In addition to the axles, the bellhousing, torque converter, and TCU are highly coveted items.

Jeff

To be honest those Jeeps, well the one with locking hubs, looked earlier then 87.. I was thinking 84 (they made a XJ in 84?) or 85.

if you can't figure the year, or if the axle tags are missing, check the tranny. If it's an AW4, then it'll have them. If it's a 904/909, the axles will either be 3.55 or 3.73.

If they are early models, and they have the selec-trac NP 228/229 TC, there's a center-mounted vaccuum switch in the console where the change holder thingy is on later models. They are handy little switches to have.

Jeff