np231 fluid level how do you fill it....

There is a fill plug on the side that the rear drive shft goes into. You need to fill it to the the bottom of that hole. I stick my finger in to check the level of the fluid. Make sure you use the top hole to fill it. There is another plug lower down used to drain the case. You need some type of a pump to pump the fluid in. If you use a 2cc syringe to fill it it will take a long time. :doh:

Drain plug is the lower one in the center of the pic, fill plug is to the right of it and slightly above. Add fluid to the fill plug hole until it starts to dribble back out, then reinstall plug. I use a fill hose I bought for a couple bucks at one of the auto parts places, it's a clear hose attached to a threaded cap that screws onto the bottle. The cap twists to open and close the flow, so you can get everything into position, then twist the cap to fill. Best $2 I ever spent....

Jeff

Image Not Found

• 6 months later...

I've misplaced my owner's manual. What is the spec'ed fluid, and what fluid do you all recommend?

Is the np231 the "Command Trac" case, or the Select Trac?" Is the fluid the same between them?

When putting the plugs back in, should Loctite be used? Red or Blue?

EDIT: I forgot I had opened more threads in my search. I see where ATF is what is recommended for the transfer cases. Any advice on the plugs is appreciated. Any specific torque spec to tighten them to with or without Loctite?

• 1 year later...
When putting the plugs back in, should Loctite be used? Red or Blue?

EDIT: I forgot I had opened more threads in my search. I see where ATF is what is recommended for the transfer cases. Any advice on the plugs is appreciated. Any specific torque spec to tighten them to with or without Loctite?

I will be flushing mine transfer case sooner than later. Is there a specific torque spec, and is one of the Loctites recommended?

The transfer plug should have a copper or felt type washer on it.different ones have different types i guess.

i've never torqued a drain or fill plug on anything just make sure it good and snug,and since they are aluminum case

do not over tighten aluminum is easy to strip. i've never used any loctite on a drain or fill plug either. if you do use the loctite use the one that says medium removable,i think its the red one and blue is the permenant.(not sure though its early and i just woke up.

honestly though its pretty simple remove the plug squirt some auto tranny fluid in until it starts to run out of the hole, put the plug in and tighten it up. you shouldnt have any problems with it.

john

always remove the fill plug first. Why? It sucks having to fill it through the drain plug when you pull that one first only to find out the fill plug is seized!

Just fill it till it starts coming back out, wait for it to stop, then put the plug back in.