Gears/Carriers?

I have 3.07's in my MJ D30/D44... :mad: (I'm already bypassing the vacuum disconnect and using the Single Piece axle from my TJ in the front D30).

Depending on how my taxes turn out, I'd like to get my 31" tires rolling and worried about being a total dog with 3.07's. I've got a bunch of guys in my Jeep Club that have all upgraded thier TJ's, XJ's, YJ's, etc to bigger, badder, locked gears and stuff.. I have a hunch that someone might have some stock stuff laying around in their parts piles that I could get pretty cheap. What would I be able to use without too much effort to swap in?

3.55 and Below use the same carrier, correct? So if someone had a 3.73. or 4.10 laying around, would need the shafts and new carrier, correct? 3.55's would go in without a carrier swap, and if so would it be worth messing with to go 307 to 355? Would I have to look for sets from certain years or makes that would work?

Obviously not talking lockers or anything at this time, just looking at re-gearing to make the larger tires more bearable.

Thanks

Sw2

To be honest.. it is cheaper to swap the whole axle then the gears when it comes to a d30. An install kit will cost you a hundred bucks plus the labor. You can buy a pick and pull axle for 129 without the core.. cheaper if you have a core.

I also don't think there will be enough of a difference unless you go to 4.10's or 4.46's to justify the expense.

I also don't think there will be enough of a difference unless you go to 4.10's or 4.46's to justify the expense.

Agree 100%. You won't be happy with 3.55's and 31" tires. You will still be luggin' especially on grades, and MPG will suffer. 4.10s and 31's are a nearly perfect marriage.

It has been my experience that 3.73 is the best gear for 31's for everyday use, MPG and occasional wheelin'. If it is going to be primarily off road, then the 4.10's would probably be better. There will be a very noticeable difference from 3.07 to 3.73.

It is definitely NOT RECOMMENDED to try to install used gears though. They will be noisy and prone to early failure because once they have been broken in on one vehicle, there is absolutley no way to put them in another and have the wear pattern match up again. I have taken my YJ front axle apart twice now for different issues with the locker and when I did, I threw the gears away each time and got new ones with full new install kits. Extreme...probably, but I don't take chances like that ;) .

An Aussie is considered a "lunchbox locker", your simply just taking out the carrier internals and replacing with the locker itself. The carrier is not effected at all, and it does not matter what carrier you have (aka you don't have to buy a new carrier to install an Aussie).

BUT, I thought my 3.07 carrier would not work for 3.73/4.10 gears? I was thinking I would need to get a new open carrier even if I went without the Aussie.

I havent priced a new carrier in a while but last time I bought one it was under 30 bucks(been 3 yrs ago). I wouldn't let the thought of having to buy a new carrier discourage me from going to a 3.73 and up.

For the D44 you can get a set of "thick" gears and still use the lower carrier if I remember right. My d44 had 3.55's in it and that is what I did.

BUT, I thought my 3.07 carrier would not work for 3.73/4.10 gears? I was thinking I would need to get a new open carrier even if I went without the Aussie.

That is correct :thumbsup:

So would be a R&P Set, New Carriers, and Install Kits (and then Locker if I decided to add that) for each axle...

I don't think there is any way any of my local PnP's are giving whole Axles for anything near $130, PingPong...$300-$400 is typical costs for Axles around here in the JY's, which is a total ripoff, but everything seems higher out here on the Left Coast...

on the right coast... pnp have axles for 130 and that is on full price day :eek: if you could find a set of axles with 4.10's in it.. even at 300 might be a good deal depending on how much your install labor would be. Like I said install kit is around 100 bucks.. plus carrier, plus gears.. then you have to figure labor on that too.

If you had a d35 rear I could sell you a set of 4.10's cheap.

I might have a D-30 carrier for ya for cheap. Does anyone know if i can tell what it is and what its for? Also you don't need a new carrier for the rear. You can run the thick gears(did it on mine) and be fine so just gears and locker and install kit. On the front i would try the Junkyard to see what you can find and at what price lets do some math. 100 install kit I'm gonna say 130 for gears then you buy bearings maybe 30 bucks then you have to get the seal for the one peice conversion don't know the price but I'm sure 20 bucks might be close. Thats 280 and no labor for install or carrier. Find a 91 or newer XJ with one piece axles and 4.11s then regear the rear. Oh and as far as carriers if you had a choice in the rear the one without the trashlock would be better for a lunchbox. Hope this helps the decision

Cole

I might have a D-30 carrier for ya for cheap. Does anyone know if i can tell what it is and what its for? Also you don't need a new carrier for the rear. You can run the thick gears(did it on mine) and be fine so just gears and locker and install kit. On the front i would try the Junkyard to see what you can find and at what price lets do some math. 100 install kit I'm gonna say 130 for gears then you buy bearings maybe 30 bucks then you have to get the seal for the one peice conversion don't know the price but I'm sure 20 bucks might be close. Thats 280 and no labor for install or carrier. Find a 91 or newer XJ with one piece axles and 4.11s then regear the rear. Oh and as far as carriers if you had a choice in the rear the one without the trashlock would be better for a lunchbox. Hope this helps the decision

Cole

Well, already got the Once Piece conversion done up front on my axle but... One of the guys in my club said he might have some stuff that would be of use... He has a yard full of XJ stuff, so he might have a D30 front with 4.10's laying around already. He's on vacation now, but I will check with him when he gets back.

Another guy said he had a D44 True Trak that he wasn't using...said he didn't have gears for it, but that might be a start for the rear if I just wanted to get the rest of the stuff.

There is another guy who has done hundreds of R&P installs who said he would help me out if I wanted to try to do the install. I think he has a Rack in his garage/barn, so getting under there would be extra easy.

SW2

Can you determine the ratio of a R&P set based on the Numbers stamped on the side?

A friend has a real nice set of gears from a D44 (2001 TJ X Model he believes) with Trac-Loc, but he is not sure what Ratio they are...he said I could have em if I could use em. (These are out of the Diff, which is long gone).

The #'s on the side of the things were

Dana 3202

D1 41 11 V1 L927

042700 D18515 P8 L909 4111

If these don't mean anything, how else might I be able to tell?

Sw2

should be two numbers set apart from the others. such as 41 and 11.

If I'm correct, those are 3.73 gears.

you can't use a low pinion gear set in your high pinion dana 30, so to get matched gears you'd need to get the proper R&P for the dana 30.

if you don't end up using that stuff, I'd be interested in it if it's for a dana 44 and is 3.73 gears...I need the carrier and gearset with limited slip for the 3800.

As Jeepco said, the "41 11" are the important number there. 41 is the number of teeth on the ring gear, 11 is the number on the pinion. 41/11=3.73

Something in the back of my head says TJ 44 have different gears, but I could be thinking of ZJ 44s (with the aluminum housings). Best to find someone to confirm that.

you can't use a low pinion gear set in your high pinion dana 30, so to get matched gears you'd need to get the proper R&P for the dana 30.

if you don't end up using that stuff, I'd be interested in it if it's for a dana 44 and is 3.73 gears...I need the carrier and gearset with limited slip for the 3800.

Yah, there was a couple "41 11", and these were a D44 gearset...

This would be for my REAR Dana 44... I want to get 4.09/4.10/4.11's anyhow, so if these are 3.73's they won't do me much good...

This would be for my REAR Dana 44... I want to get 4.09/4.10/4.11's anyhow, so if these are 3.73's they won't do me much good...

well let me know if there's some way for me to get a hold of them. I don't have much money, but really would like to get to 3.73's in the 3800, and I've got a new dana 30 with 3.73's already prepped for it. I would need the carrier too though...

well let me know if there's some way for me to get a hold of them. I don't have much money, but really would like to get to 3.73's in the 3800, and I've got a new dana 30 with 3.73's already prepped for it. I would need the carrier too though...

I'll find out...the guy said I could have em if I was going to use em kind of deal, but it wasn't like a "here they are yours" kind of deal.

Shipping would be killer I'd bet unless I could get em in a flat rate box...the box weighted about 30 lbs

The gear ratio for the rear end is also stamped on the passengers side axle tube. I have yet to get my hands on a MJ/XJ D44 with 4.10's in it, so I do not have those numbers (nor do I know if they were even offered from the factory that way).

MJ:

3.07 Gear Ratio = 605325-12

3.54 Gear Ratio = 605325-10

XJ:

3.07 Gear Ratio = 605342-1

3.54 Gear Ratio = 605342-3

Hope it helps for future reference.

The gear ratio for the rear end is also stamped on the passengers side axle tube. I have yet to get my hands on a MJ/XJ D44 with 4.10's in it, so I do not have those numbers (nor do I know if they were even offered from the factory that way).

MJ:

3.07 Gear Ratio = 605325-12

3.54 Gear Ratio = 605325-10

XJ:

3.07 Gear Ratio = 605342-1

3.54 Gear Ratio = 605342-3

Hope it helps for future reference.

Adam I'll get you those numbers tomorrow. I'm pretty sure my rear 44 is a factory 4.09 but it could have history that I don't know.