Gears/Carriers?

If the gears are in hand...just count the teeth on each gear then divide the ring count by the pinion count for your ratio... Pete eluded to this previously, but didn't seem to finish the thought unless I missed it by reading to fast ;) .

That obviously won't confirm exactly what they came out of, but it's a sure fire way to know the ratio for sure.

How about this link to Dana...

http://www2.dana.com/expert/wc.dll?hvtss~deabill~5~

Looks like you can search by the Bill of Material # that's stamped on the tube (the # that Adam published) and get the Ratio... You can also search by Make/Model...

It looks like our MJ's are listed as "XJ Pickup, XJ Trucks or XJ METRIC TON TRUCK, XJ HD TRUCK" expect for 1990-1990.5 where they list an MJ Pickup

Good find Wade!

Looks like when I have some free time I'll put together a list for the D30/D35/D44 in the XJ and the MJ to make it easier to find the info.

Dana put the tag on the covers, but we all know that most of the time they are missing or hard to read due to rust (the rust one is the common problem here in the Midwest). Being able to decode the stamps on the housing make it much easier (in my opinion).

Good find Wade!

Looks like when I have some free time I'll put together a list for the D30/D35/D44 in the XJ and the MJ to make it easier to find the info.

Dana put the tag on the covers, but we all know that most of the time they are missing or hard to read due to rust (the rust one is the common problem here in the Midwest). Being able to decode the stamps on the housing make it much easier (in my opinion).

Glad to have a positive contribution...finally...

It looks like a Guy in my club is going to help me out...

He's got a nice pair of 4.10 D30/D44 Gears, Carriers, Install Kits and a True-Trac for the back and he will do the install... He's out of work, so looking to make a little extra scratch on the side. He said he's done over 50 gear installs without issue, and I think many of the guys in the club are running diffs he setup for for them.

He said he had a D44 Power-Loc, but would be a little extra $... don't know enough about the limited slips to make an educated guess, but the less expensive option sounded better to me.

Something in the $500 range for everything installed it looks like...didn't sound horrible to me and will also help a Wheeler friend out who is out of work.

Sw2

Having just paid more for axles alone and having to do the swap myself... $500 sounds like a bitchin deal. About the tru trac vs power loc, it really comes down to what you want to do with the vehicle. I seem to recall the reason you are wanting to go with 4.10s is because you're putting some 33s or so in, which I assume means you want to do some off-roading? If that's the case, from what I've read (which isn't a whole lot) the power loc is a better choice if that's what will be in the rear D44. Is the front D30 open?

In any case, I think the front would be good with the tru trac and the rear with the powerlock if you're doing moderate or more off roading.. otherwise, you might be happy with an open front and tru trac rear for a daily driver and/or light/moderate off roading.

Having just paid more for axles alone and having to do the swap myself... $500 sounds like a bitchin deal. About the tru trac vs power loc, it really comes down to what you want to do with the vehicle. I seem to recall the reason you are wanting to go with 4.10s is because you're putting some 33s or so in, which I assume means you want to do some off-roading? If that's the case, from what I've read (which isn't a whole lot) the power loc is a better choice if that's what will be in the rear D44. Is the front D30 open?

In any case, I think the front would be good with the tru trac and the rear with the powerlock if you're doing moderate or more off roading.. otherwise, you might be happy with an open front and tru trac rear for a daily driver and/or light/moderate off roading.

I think this is a stop gap thing to be able to run bigger tires without worrying about getting up and down the street... I have a "long-term" plan than involves swapping my ARB'ed 4.56 Chromo shafted D30/D44 from my TJ into my MJ when I get the $$$ for some Hi-Pinion ProRock 60's for the TJ... Since that is a ways off, I'd like something that would allow the MJ to take on some basic trails, but the TJ is my primary rig for offroad.

So I think the Tru-Trac in the Back will be fine for now...He wanted another $200 for the Power-Lock, which I don't think I'd see the difference right now.