Odd hood question

I have a 87 with the old style hood prop rod (hooks to the core support instead of the inner fender). The hood on my truck weighs a friggin' ton. I have lifted hoods on Mj/Xj bodies literally tens of thousands of times. Don't remember any feeling like this. Anyone notice if earlier hoods weighed more? The springs that pop the hood up when you release it barely get it high enough to open it on the left side, and not enough on the right. :hmm: . Yeah, I know, I have too much time on my hands I guess. :nuts:

I have a 87 with the old style hood prop rod (hooks to the core support instead of the inner fender). The hood on my truck weighs a friggin' ton. I have lifted hoods on Mj/Xj bodies literally tens of thousands of times. Don't remember any feeling like this. Anyone notice if earlier hoods weighed more? The springs that pop the hood up when you release it barely get it high enough to open it on the left side, and not enough on the right. :hmm: . Yeah, I know, I have too much time on my hands I guess. :nuts:

Mine is an 87 as well. Is this the support you mean (only pic I could find with the hood open)?

222168671_iqx5H-L.jpg

And yes, the hood is pretty heavy, cause there are no lifting spring in the hinges or any counterbalance mechanism, but the latch springs pop mine up just fine.

Mine is an 87 as well. Is this the support you mean (only pic I could find with the hood open)?

222168671_iqx5H-L.jpg

And yes, the hood is pretty heavy, cause there are no lifting spring in the hinges or any counterbalance mechanism, but the latch springs pop mine up just fine.

Yup, that is the type of support. Thanks.

the difference is the insulation in the hood.

it gathers weight as it sucks in oil :brows: from leaks, and also absorbs moisture.

as the years progressed, the hood insulation was made of slightly better material which doesn't quite "absorb" anything so much as "deter" it.

the other difference may be a lack of insulation on the newer style, and having insulation on the older style.

wanna make it better? remove the old insulation.

if that's not your case, then your jeep is on 'roids

No insulation on mine. I even went out and checked for old mud in the ribbing. Nada. This truck has been painted a couple of times. It may be an aftermarket hood for all I know? Tried to find my fish scale to weigh it. It is eluding me this evening. Time for beer. :cheers:

the difference is the insulation in the hood.

it gathers weight as it sucks in oil :brows: from leaks, and also absorbs moisture.

as the years progressed, the hood insulation was made of slightly better material which doesn't quite "absorb" anything so much as "deter" it.

the other difference may be a lack of insulation on the newer style, and having insulation on the older style.

The hood pad insulation is not an issue. Maybe adds a pound of extra weight if that. The 97+ pads are even lighter by half and fit the same. Your problem is in the hinges. If anything an aftermarket hood would be a lighter gauge metal. Sure your rig hasn't been armored? :cheers:

aemsee,, I'm thinking you need to just hit the gym there buddy... :rotfl2: Maybe you could ride over and help Wildman carry doors...

hehe,, sorry I couldnt resist... Its the Wharf Rat in me...

You could be right there dude. Fibromyalgia kicks my @$$ big time. So bad I might have to switch to drinking pony's. I've got a couple convertible top hydraulic cylinders sittin' around someplace. May be time for an invention :brows:

I did what he did, but I used two supports. Works fine. No more rod to screw with.

Any pics and/or measurements rworks? Thanks :cheers:

No pics. Used the instructions from the link already posted in this thread. Wasn't hard at all.