Front Axes

your front AXLE is a vacuum disconnect and if is not engaging i'd check the plastic vacuum lines starting at the case and following them all the way to the axle. if they are all intact take the shift fork cover off and have a look in there. or better yet find a non-vac HP dana 30, and stick it in there.

Find me an MJ that didn't have a CAD on it from the factory (aside from the rare-ish 86 MJs with the 229 t-case). Almost all 4wd MJs had CAD Dana 30s. :thumbsup:

But anyways, any XJ with AWD (whether the 242 or the 229) will have a non-CAD, as well as many XJs in the 92-93 period when the CAD started to disappear on XJs, and then any XJ after 93. Don't worry about swapping the entire axle unless there is a gearing upgrade to be had. The axle shafts themselves can be upgraded without dumping the axle assembly itself. :cheers:

Isn't one of yours 2wd? :razz:

As to the other, I wouldn't be shocked if some snuck through or were converted over the years. The next owner of my 90 is going to be in for a surprise if I don't tell him what I've done. :D

Isn't one of yours 2wd? :razz:

As to the other, I wouldn't be shocked if some snuck through or were converted over the years. The next owner of my 90 is going to be in for a surprise if I don't tell him what I've done. :D

I got both 2wd. 2.5 4wd conversion was done a year ago, and the 4.0 actually has a CAD D30 on it, but still stuck with the 2wd trans. One reason of that being is the PO had welded the crossmember to the framerails instead of bothering to remove the busted studs.