"Smokey" 1st build

. plus a few of the trails we have here in my backyard, just outside of Johnstown,Pa.

Bear

Bear,

I was looking at those pics, and I coulda sworn some of them looked like they were up off the LHHT, or out the Windber/New Ashtola way......

I'm from Johnstown, down in the West End. We need to meet up the next time I get up into town :cheers:

Jeff

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff, I live in 42, just outside of Windber, the first pic was in my yard when I lived in Sinking Spring, the next 2 were taken at Rausch Creek offroad park, and the last one was out behind 42. lol, what's the LHHT? have u been to the top of the world? I grew up outside of Portage, Benscreek, and I have run those trails ever since I had a bike and then my yamaha 175. I'm sure you heard of our club Big Rubbers custom 4x4, do you know Sam Buchkovich III? I do a column for the Tribune Democrat, and recently done one on the club becoming a Boy Scout Charter and sponsoring a BSA Venture Crew. we recently secured some land out by Fluders to set up a trail network and then eventually a 4x4 park, we then went to Berwind Coal Co. and got the use of a few hundred more acres for our Venture Crew and the other Scout troops in our region to set up for rough camping, orienteering, and hiking trails. they won't allow us to use our rigs on their land, but it's perfect for the BSA and it adjoins our trail land. so that was sweet. yes, we def. need to hook up when you are in town, maybe join us on one of our monthly trail rides.

Bear

small world....my wife's father's family all grew up in 37, and her parents just moved into 40 ;)

Never ran any trails up that way though....spent most of my time up off the Gray Run area, firetower, Mountain road and the gasline, down over into New Florence (game land #42).

Jeff

a little background on "Smokey", I was buyinh a 94' WJ w/318 for a friend, and I got it for 2600.00 it was a good deal. while I was there this truck was sitting beside it and I asked the guy and he said he was sure about selling it, I offered him 500 for it and he said ok, so I did a package deal for 3100 for both. it ran, rough, but ti ran. I drove it home. it was an 87' silver, short bed. a friend had a body shop right across the st. from where I was living. my 93' xj, was already there, it was totaled by a drunk, from the rear. then we got started. I also had them put the initial lift on it while it was there. we swapped out the front end and doors of my xj to it, and then I found a set of freshly built axles 30/35 with 4:56 cogs and a lockrite in the 35, the 30 had a posi lok, I paid 200 for the pair. the lift was a rough country 4", one of my truck sponsors, I swapped over my RE, adj. trac bar and the 33" baja claws and MT street locks, another sponsor, called my friends at bushwacker, yes, another sponsor, and asked for a set of rear flares for a 2 door xj, they sent me a whole new set of 4. some minor body work was needed and done. then it was primered. before having it aligned, I didn't like the rake, so I added 2" pucks up front to level it out. the front had a new Warn winch bumper, sent to me from KnowWhereToJeep in Md. another sponsor. I then called an old friend Lisa Aho of Milemarker and she sent me out a mm8000 winch with a remote control, and yes, another sponsor. I paid my friend 1700 for the body work, paint work, lift install, and new axles installed. the end result was the first photo in this thread. since that build I added a Safari snorkel from my friends at Outten Co. Jeep and I worked a deal with a local tire co. yo put their logo on my windsheild for a year in exchange for a set of 35" BFG muds. those are the mods this truck has had to this point. now it 4 yrs later and I'm doing a freshen up re-build on it this year. which include- new metal fender flares, my design, new rear bumper, roll cage set up to carry the spare, both the hi-lifts I have, and the CO2 power tank, bucket seats and dash from my 95' xj along with the brake booster swap. those fuel injectors I read about here, along with the zj swaybar upgrade. I am also toying with the Idea of a 4 link for the rear and a long arm for up front. I have attended many 4x4 events over the years and with me being a writer, I have made many contacts, so some of the perks are I can pick up companies to sponsor me with their products, writing doesn't pay much so the items I get make up for it. other sponsors for my truck are KC Hi-Lites, Hi-Lift, both the 60" and xtreme jacks, CO2 power tanks, skid row skidplates, and Davy Jeeps. Davey. I was on my way to the 4x4 SEMA show in Indy in 06' and was stopping off at Salem Ohio, to do a story on the shop class there that built a rock crawler Jeep and competed in UROC, on the way there, my radiator went. the shop teacher was friends with Davey and arranged for them to hook me up with a new rad. and the kids done a "pit stop" on my truck. that was cool beans. ok, enough rambling, thanks for reading folks.

Bear

Bear does have the nicest MJ i have ever seen, even if its Dallas colors.................sorry i had to go there since i saw someone else mentioned it ........LOL HA HA HA. he drives this thing with a very easy foot most of the time but hes does get it when he needs to. bear has been a member of Big Rubbers for quite a few years now and i have to say i like this rig the best out of all the ones he has had. well, that CJ was pretty sweet to bear. he was talking about selling the whole thing or parting it out and i was not wanting to hear that, its a sweet @$$ MJ. glad to read that you are gonna keep it and redo some things. we need to get that vacuum front axle out from under the front of it though so your 4x4 will work right again. that posi lock cable thing is junk! i will have to dig around on my photobucket for more pics of that.

" Can we see a photo of where the snorkel and fender flare meet? "

I had made a small mistake when I did the cutting. I made a straight cut on the flare and should have contoured it better, so I have a small gap that is not attractive. I had kept the section I cut out and was going to " plastic weld" it back, but now I am making steel fender flares that resemble a flat fender look and put them up for sale, and someone from the club here has already put in dibs on them. I could have done a better job of the cutting and am embarrassed to show a pic of it.

Bear

Bear, that is definitely a top 3 rig, great job. Personally I like the Bushwhackers. Not many people seem to like them, but with the right combination of lift, tires etc., I think they look really cool. I also love the colored beadlocks, I've been wanting to see a set on an MJ to see how'd they look. I hope to paint mine soon which will be a two tone black over factory maroon, and I've thought it might look cool w/streetlocks and painted beadlocks. Helps me get a little perspective seeing yours. Well, as my screen name indicates, huge Steeler fan also and lived in Da 'Burgh from ''02-'06 so I'll anxiously await the new paint job. Should be 10x better than the current theme LOL. Please do us a favor and stay active on this forum, in addition to seeing pics of a fantastic MJ, it seems like you'd have a lot of other info to offer. Welcome! :cheers:

Well, as my screen name indicates, huge Steeler fan also. it seems like you'd have a lot of other info to offer.

you wanna see a huge steelers fan, go to bears house!! its like a steelers shrine in his living room where we watch the game every weekend during the football season. and he don't even have all of his steeler stuff out yet. as soon as he gets his addition done i can't wait to see the rest of his collection. he's got some really cool old stuff.

he does have alot of info that he shares most of the time with those of us who are worthy of it..................are you worthy? j/k

Hi Wahoo, thanks for the props. I like the look of the bushwackers too, but, for on the trail and in tight places where they get " tagged" they can't take the beating and break or crack. that's why I am going with some homemade steel flares that will also incorporate an area around each wheel well to strengthen those spots. as far as being a Steeler fan, my first season as a fan was in 1969 and I watched Chuck Knoll go 2 and 12 the first year, he was the coach. as far as my collection, as Sam,(big rubbers) put it, it's big and most is still in boxes until I get my addition completed. just a family room to house my hot tub, pool table, poker table, and all my Steeler stuff. take a moment and check out my 4x4 club www.bigrubbers4x4.org

Bear

Wahoo, you mean to tell me that you don't like perogies? what about pa guch? or halupkis? they're all great stuff. they are old polish and slovak dishes. definition of each, perogies: see Mrs. T,lol, pa guch: sort of a enclosed pizza with mashed potatoes and 2 cheeses inside, and once baked and cut like pizza, it get covered in melted butter and onions, halupkis: also know around this area as " pigs in a blanket" hamburger,cooked rice,( and spices), wrapped in steamed cabbage leaves and then baked in a tomato sauce. all good stuff. yea, I know we are getting off topic, sorry.

Bear

comanche addict. I like the look of the street locks, but the rings came that color, just happens that my XJ, the one that was totaled by a drunk, happened to be the color of the rings. MT has 4 colors that are anodized paint. so when I first done Smokey I used the XJ color on the bottom and the trucks original color up top. thanks for the props too.

Bear

Wahoo, you mean to tell me that you don't like perogies? what about pa guch? or halupkis? they're all great stuff. they are old polish and slovak dishes. definition of each, perogies: see Mrs. T,lol, pa guch: sort of a enclosed pizza with mashed potatoes and 2 cheeses inside, and once baked and cut like pizza, it get covered in melted butter and onions, halupkis: also know around this area as " pigs in a blanket" hamburger,cooked rice,( and spices), wrapped in steamed cabbage leaves and then baked in a tomato sauce. all good stuff. yea, I know we are getting off topic, sorry.

Bear

You left out halushki, kielbassi, and other pierogi variations (sauerkraut, leichvar)..... :yes:

thread hijack <>

you guys and you Slovak foods, i am part slovak and i won't eat half that stuff that was mentioned.

i did a stint as a relocated yankee down south, thanks to uncle sam. i was stationed at Little Rock AFB Ar. Arkansas is the armpit of the earth in my opinion, well Jacksonville Ar. anyways. i lived off base in the "hood", there were gunshots in the parking lot of our apartment complex that seemed to happen a little to often. i had to sleep with my piece under my pillow so i would feel safer. there were some nice things about Ar, like the Ozarks, Hot Springs and .............................................................well ok, so the Ozarks and Hot springs were cool. there were a few cool lakes we used to go to on the weekends to camp out and drink. those were Heber Springs and Greer's Ferry Lake, they both had some cool high cliffs to jump off of.

thanks Scott, it started out as my 500 dollar project. and I worked it into this stage. it still has all the stock drivetrain, except for the axle, new 4:56 cogs in them with a lockrite in the rear. it's a good little truck, and has been very reliable.

Jeff: I did miss those and I don't care for haluski. lol. the others I do like.

Bear

Sam/Bear,

Wahoo is another one of us transplanted Pittsburgh Yankees down here in the south.......except he isn't a big fan of pierogies :nuts:

:D

Jeff

Thread hi-jack re-opened.

Actually Jeff, I was a transplanted southerner my 4+ years in Da Burgh, now I'm back home in VA. And those perogies I fixed for my wife during the game that is known as the Super Bowl and was won by Da Pittsburgh Steelers making them the ONLY 6-time NFL Champions......oh, sorry, got a little excited there. Anyhoo, yeah, those cheddar cheese perogies I made? Awesome! Laughed at myself for never trying them when they could have been made fresh and not frozen out of a box LOL!

Thread hi-jack over.

• 2 months later...

just started taking the flares off,I have the template made up for the new rear flares,got my 97' swap over parts together, now that nice weather is starting I can really get cracking on this. I have to work outside, and I don't do rain,lol, and it has been raining alot lately. I should be sending you a pm in the next week or 2 when I get all the flares off.

Bear