5 Spd Peugot

Are these transmissions really that bad? I found a Comanche that a guy is selling for parts. The transmission was rebuilt six months ago. I was going to buy it for the transmission to convert my 2WD to 4WD, but I have the AX-15. Will the Peugot be a pretty straight forward swap? Should I swap the Peugot in or just leave it 2WD?

Are these transmissions really that bad? I found a Comanche that a guy is selling for parts. The transmission was rebuilt six months ago. I was going to buy it for the transmission to convert my 2WD to 4WD, but I have the AX-15. Will the Peugot be a pretty straight forward swap? Should I swap the Peugot in or just leave it 2WD?

Considering that parts for the Peugeot are efefctively not avauilable, and incredibly expensive if you can find them, I would be VERY skeptical of any claims that a Peugeot tranny was "rebuilt." If you pursue it, ask exactly what was done and ask to see receipts. No receipts = no rebuild.

The BA 10/5 is a light duty transmission. If you don't hammer on it, it's fine for street driving. The one in my 88 XJ is at 275,000+ miles and it's still running. I run a molybdenum additive in the gear oil, and I don't abuse the tranny. I have taken it off-road, fairly extensively, but with a stock suspension and 30" tires. The things that usually go are the synchros, and the bearings. You save the synchros by not trying to speed shift it, and you save the bearings by not always keeping the accelerator pinned to the floorboards.

There's no question you'd be better off with an AX-15.

One of the guys in the North Atlantic Chapter of NAXJA had a BA 10/5 rebuilt several years ago. That's when parts were available, and IIRC he paid $1500 or $1800 to have it rebuilt. That's what you should be looking for. If you see a receipt for $50 ... that's not a rebuild.

We spoke briefly this afternoon about the truck and he did mention spending $1400 on rebuilding the transmission. I'm not sure what I will do. I might hold out and try to find an AX-15 to be on the safe side.

FWIW

My peugot box had the clutch and input & output shaft bearings replaced recently. So at least I know those parts are available for it. My wallet didn't like it much though! :ack: And the second gear synchro is still non existant.

Cheers, dreaming of a 4.0L + AX15 :cheers:

Few years back I converted my '89 to an AX-15. Sold the Peugeot to a guy for $150. All he needed was some ring that goes around the base of the shift knob or something small and trivial like that. It was probably a $10 part when it was available. Don't swap in a questionably reliable (yes, there are a few out there who have had good fortune with the Peugeot, but it's still a turd) transmission only to find yourself paying through the nose for parts or swapping in an AX-15 down the road. Even without the reliability question, the parts availability issue alone should keep you from wanting to use a BA/10. Do it once, do it right.

The BA/10 is junk. That being said mine is holding up to some severe abuse, but I plan on swapping in a external ax15 here in the immediate future. Mine will include the t-case as well if you want to come to va to pick it up. If not I wil turn it in for dirty aluminum scrap

Luke, I thought you had a 2.8L? That means you have an AX-5. The Peugeot is a 4.0L-only trans.

Interesting Pete :hmm: I only know this from the guy that pulled the box out for repairs and he said it was a peugeot. He does get a bit confused sometimes though :nuts: D'ya think if I got the vehicle ID number checked out that would clarify matters? image_209027.gif

• 3 weeks later...