new guy, big project

I was told by a guy on another board that you can't use the factory LCA hole because it pushes the front too far forward and causes a bind in the steering. I'm going to be doing this too soon, so let me know if you have any problems. Oh, and that is one sweet rig btw. :D 8)

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good. Just one thing I thought I should point out. You should not attach your seatbelt to a roll bar outside of the body. In a rollover the cab of the truck could be shifted forward or to the side and you could be cruched in your seat by the seatbelts.

Looks good. Just one thing I thought I should point out. You should not attach your seatbelt to a roll bar outside of the body. In a rollover the cab of the truck could be shifted forward or to the side and you could be cruched in your seat by the seatbelts.

Yeah I was kinda wondering about that. 8)

I was told by a guy on another board that you can't use the factory LCA hole because it pushes the front too far forward and causes a bind in the steering. I'm going to be doing this too soon, so let me know if you have any problems. Oh, and that is one sweet rig btw. :D 8)

this guy used the stock mount

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavist ... /leafs.htm

cliff notes at bottom, but it is a good read so read it all

ok I headed everyone’s warnings and the shoulder harnesses did not get used, and won't until the interior cage is build with the seat brackets tied into it

well we finished her up on Friday, 20 minutes before we left for NH, 2 hrs later then we wanted. only testing she had were driving like 1/4 mile on the streets of Worcester

got the brakes working better, it ended up being the rear brake adjusters were not self adjusting, I think maybe I have them on the wrong side, which is something I need to look into. but after the adjustment they could easily lock up all 4 on the street

bump stops look like crap but worked great all weekend till one of the rubber stops I bought pulled off its own bolting system. I only have about 1.5" of up travel but it worked alright

shocks are in, set them to bottom out at the bump stops to get all the droop out of them possible. they are 11" travel shocks so I have about 10" of droop in them, the front springs use all that up, not sure in the rear

SAT:

Wheeled at Wayne’s world, which first of all is an amazing group of trails that even the most hardcore guys could go find stuff to challenge their rigs. wheelbase got me on the first 2 tight turns leading to a smashed drivers b-pillar and a dented passengers side one. she felt amazingly stable, I def know why lower is better, call me a low rider if you want. she really did go pretty tits on the trail, I am def going to be grooving and sipping the tires I have until I can afford something sticker. these are hard, probably from so many road miles. ran 10 psi all day with no problems

Ok on a climb that stopped everyone in our group but one I was having problems, so I took the second hardest line and got myself pretty pinned and had to accept a winch line. well I got my truck really hot by the time I was at the top of the climb and could hear the coolant boiling, so we went to pop the hood when all of a sudden there was coolant spraying everywhere. well in the old xj/mjs they have a close pressurized coolant system, including the plastic reservoir (not really a reservoir though). anyway the 20yr old plastic blew out the bung on the bottom. anyway so we trail fixed it and I ran the last obstacle like nothing, before parking it back at the meeting spot

SAT night:

joe and I loaded the mj up on the trailer and headed off to Keene to AutoZone to try and fix it so I could wheel Sunday, it ended up a long night with a blown trailer tire, and some bad bearings in the hub. grabbed a few things we thought we could make work for the next day and made our trip back to camp. got back to camp in the dark and rain and started looking at it. Myles thought he could fix the reservoir so he took the soldering pen to it to melt the plastic back together then coated it in gm silicone, left it out to dry till Sunday morning

SUN morning:

installed the fixed coolant system and filled it with water. while idling in the campsite to see if the coolant system leaked a tranny line blew out. WTF? I had extra o-rings for that so I reinstalled it. after that everything ran fine

SUN:

we ran field and forest and she ran great. I would run an obstacle and then shut her down and pop the hood to ensure she wouldn’t get hot. got denied by a couple of the harder optional climbs but otherwise a good day. right at the end of the day when we were going to take one other optional loop she got hot again and the bung finally had let go and started spraying coolant again. gave her a trail fix to get off the trail and called it a day.

so I have major cooling issues, I'm guessing the clutch fan is shot, going to swap to the newer cooling system and also add an extra electric fan as mine did not have ac.

CLIFFNOTES: aside from major cooling issues she ran awesome and only suffered a torn bump stop and some minor body damage

I will have pictures and video when ben and owen get up, or I find some on other pictures

I need to thank everyone that helped me get the rig ready and keep it moving this weekend. Especially my buds who put in countless hours and got little sleep to help me be ready. Don’t know how but ill repay it some way.

Stay tuned for pictures, video, and eventually more building as we replace the cooling system, built the interior cage, and maybe get paint on the Heep.

I like the vid.... How much air did you have in your tires though.... looks like you had a hard time going.... anywhere. I haven't said anything during your build, but I have watched it. I like your truck and I plan on going the same direction when I find an MJ project again..

Good job

Josh

I like the vid.... How much air did you have in your tires though.... looks like you had a hard time going.... anywhere. I haven't said anything during your build, but I have watched it. I like your truck and I plan on going the same direction when I find an MJ project again..

Good job

Josh

i had 11 psi in the tires on day one

8 psi on day two, and i lost one bead that day, time for some beadlocks

is that a full floater rear? nice

a little wet huh?

good thing that rubi didnt shoot a rod on that one attempt. renrenrenrenren!

looks like yall had fun

it is about 100-1 that you will ever find a dry trail in NE

rubi was an 06 with 4600 miles on it

is that a full floater rear? nice

a little wet huh?

good thing that rubi didnt shoot a rod on that one attempt. renrenrenrenren!

looks like yall had fun

it is about 100-1 that you will ever find a dry trail in NE

rubi was an 06 with 4600 miles on it

get em started young.. i like that jamminz.gif

hopefully tellico is wet this year, last time we went it was dry as a bone.

(gotta test out my brothers XJ cause he'll be gettin 4.88s and detroit-r, arb-f, with super30/44 kits. 33 spline :D )

So for the record, you used the LCA mount hole already there and didn't have any steering bindage? I tried to click the link to the other guys leaf spring conversion, but for some reason it's a dead link. Hopefully I'll be doing this soon. Also, what are the lengths of the waggy springs? I'm just curious. I plan on using CJ rears. 8)

ok i used the stock LCA mount to mount the rear of the springs yes

used waggy springs which are like 2" longer then stock YJ springs, and have an offset that allows you to run the axle either at stock yj length or 2" forward, and i ran them forward

so not only did i use the stock hole but i also pushed even more forward

although, i am using high steer arms on my 60 and not trying to make stock jeep steering work

with suc low lift and high steer with hydro i had to really limit my uptravel so the steering didnt compress on each other

we also build a custom pitman arm to give us the most clearence

any other questions just fire away

I wheeled with my stock cooling system in Uwharrie, it sucked. Ambient temps awere 100*. I popped the coolant bottle in the same place. Trail fixed it, then went and got a hayden 10" fan, it fit well, and wafter it was installed at camp I wheeled for 3 more days on it.

I honestly think the closed system does a better job of cooling, it just requires some more maintenance for that plastic bottle