new guy, big project

hey guys, I'm new here, found the stie sometime last night while :cheers:

got a big project ahead of me with a deadline that only seems to get shorter and shorter

I'm copying this all over from my club forum so bear with me

beat 1988 comanchee with 4.0

AW4 (23 spline version), still need to pick up

D300, also still need to pick up

D60, 4.56's, highsteer, still open at the moment, hopefully locked tho

14B, 4.56's, welded

38.5x15.5x16.5 TSL's on stock ferd rims, hopefully grooved, maybe beadlocked

misc. tube and metal

oing to leaf spring the front to hold the 60, Fat Kid Fab hangers, YJ springs (or something simular). Spring over the rear, and bastard pack the leafs if i need more height. Swap in new 23spline AW4 amd Dana 300. Square tube drive shafts. No bed, eventually a tube bed. Tank mounted behind cab. Move exhaust to drivers side so front shaft can be on pass side. Hoping to get a locker for the front, maybe ill weld up and extra set of spider/sides. I will appreciate any and all help i can get.

UPDATE

Last night me and my friend Joey went to town on the bed

Pulled everything attached to it, including gas tank, pulled bed then dragged it outside for scrap

i wanted to make this still mobile so i threw a couple 2x4's and mount the tank ontop of them, don't worry i am not that much of a hack, it is really just to move it in and out of the garage

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well with the long weekend and baseball i havent really got to work on it much

got a little time after dinner yesterday, so i started ripping out the interior, as it is going to be bear bones

also gutted the doors to be cut to half doors

this weekend i am planning on dropping the case and tranny, and getting the front ready so when i get the springs i can get right to work fabing brackets, ripping out the old brake lines and crap and running new lines

should be picking up springs and trans next week, still looking for a d300

also anyone have the info on what MC to run, i havent looked into it yet at all, but i know I'm going to need something more beefy then the stock jeep stuff, just didnt know if someone already knew which one i should use

had a productive day yesterday

- cut doors down for half doors, still need to box in the tops

- gutted interior for bare bones trail rig interior, only kept the sun visors and cb, going to get some aftermarket gauges i think and ditch the stockers also

- pulled tranny and t-case and gave myself a nice jack handle sized welt on my forehead

also sold some stuff this weekend so i have a few more bucks to put back into the mj

ok so thats where i am at now

picking up the trans and springs this weekend, so i can start mocking up the front

still need a d300

have my steering almost all pulled out to send to matt at west texas offroad for a rebuild, port, tap and hydro assist stuff

need to run all new brake lines, and get a new MC

finish off half doors

some sort of tube bed, roll bar, cage, i have ideas in head we will see how it goes

driveshafts, square

all in the next 56 days, and still have a life

WHy si your deadline 56 days? Something big planned? Everything looks good so far, and welcome to the site. I htink you'll find there are a lot of guys with a lot of knowledge always willign to help. Good luck with everything and keep us posted!!!

I like I like yeahthat.gif driving

I will make a few small suggestiong though.

1. get a fuel cell and a MSD fuel pump part#2225 (i think) I have one on my truggy, and have had zero issue with it.

2. Put some sorta cage in it :brows: we al know why you should do that.. At least if it was my righ I do :nuts:

3. Make sure it will fit out the garage door.. clearance looks a lil tight :eek:

Besides that.. awesome rig

3. Make sure it will fit out the garage door.. clearance looks a lil tight :eek:

Nothing deflating the tires wouldnt fix. :brows:

That thing is a beast. any plans to stroke or swap the engine?

I like I like yeahthat.gif driving

I will make a few small suggestiong though.

1. get a fuel cell and a MSD fuel pump part#2225 (i think) I have one on my truggy, and have had zero issue with it.

2. Put some sorta cage in it :brows: we al know why you should do that.. At least if it was my righ I do :nuts:

Besides that.. awesome rig

stock tank will be fine for me as soon as i mount it correctly, plus it only has like 300 miles on it cause i replaced it about a month before i took it off the road

as stated above it will be getting one

it should fit out the door, if it doesnt i have a set of 33 rollers to use

Nothing deflating the tires wouldnt fix. :brows:

That thing is a beast. any plans to stroke or swap the engine?

sticking with the stock 4.0, it runs great and they are a mad cheap to replace

plus if i don't have enough power/gearing i am planning on 4:1 lomax d300 gears

You can also stroke it for s much as it would cost to rebuild it (instead of buying a new one if this one craps out on you). Something to look at, great torque, great power and best of all, great mileage as far as higher horse power goes

You can also stroke it for s much as it would cost to rebuild it (instead of buying a new one if this one craps out on you). Something to look at, great torque, great power and best of all, great mileage as far as higher horse power goes

thats good info, as far as milage that doesnt matter to me as this is only a trail truck

• 2 weeks later...

some new parts

d60 inner seals

sweet MAD4X4 d60 outer seals

adapter and clocking ring for the AW4/d300

i also have a d300 twin stick on the way and I'm picking up my 300 this weekend

also is this what i think it is?

a stock d60 traction device? i didnt think chevy ever had a traction device in any of their 60's?

yup well from the responses i have gotten on other boards i guess it is a factory installed trac lock, no wonder most of my old videos had both front spinning

guess ill keep it till after the initial build then I'm going ARB

hey Derek...thats a sick MJ. where is Granby in Mass? I'm in Pepperell up by Nashua NH.

granby is in western ma, out by springfield, umass amherst, and most of the good public wheeling in MA