OEM Fender Flare Retainers

If it's for the front flares, the XJ's work fine. I ruint several of them at the JY before I figured out a removal trick. The trick (that worked for me) is to run a nut all the way down on the exposed shank, before removing the original nut. That cleans the threads without twisting the shank and busting the welded stud.

If it's for the front flares, the XJ's work fine. I ruint several of them at the JY before I figured out a removal trick. The trick (that worked for me) is to run a nut all the way down on the exposed shank, before removing the original nut. That cleans the threads without twisting the shank and busting the welded stud.

Geeezus... I wished you'd said that about a week ago... I guess its get the drill out for me because I busted all but two of those lil bestereds....

Geeezus... I wished you'd said that about a week ago... I guess its get the drill out for me because I busted all but two of those lil bestereds....

X2 on that - I've never been able to get the daymn things off in one piece.

The stamped sheet metal retainers clamp the inner plastic flange of the flare to the fender/wheelwell shroud. The percussion-welded #10 studs have sufficient tensile capacity but are notoriously week in reacting torque. We had this same problem on spacecraft and evolved to a single piece component (base and stud machined from one chunk). The closer the nut is to the end of the stud, the larger the potential for bending/twisting load on this weak weld. Cleaning the threads first (wire brush, followed by PB blaster, followed by running a nut down, followed by more PB blaster) greatly improves the probability of safe removal. Looking closely at this installation, the retainers could be eliminated and replaced with just fender washers and #10 bolts about 3/4" long, but the retainers also add stiffness to the lip of the fender, if anyone cares about that.

What kind of pics do you need of using bolts :hmm: . Just get the described bolts to fit your existing holes, a couple washers & a nut for each... :thumbsup:

Maybe someone has taken pics of this, but I don't think it is likely that most would take the time photograph that ;) .