Installing full Center Console

Now that I got my buckets and a nice XJ grey full Console from dfreeman616 (great guy to deal with BTW jamminz.gif ). , I'd like to replace my Mini-console... I got the brackets from another XJ (are they universal as far as years and such?), and knocked some of the surface rust and painting them this evening...

I know from my feeble search attempt that the heaterbox at the bottom of the dash in the middle will have to be removed and/or swapped (or trimmed) with one from an XJ that had the full console.

Does anyone have any pics of where the brackets get mounted? Do I need to yank the carpet, or can I just go over the top (and how do I know where mounts go, best guess?)

Pics, or links to threads would be greatly appreciated since my searching skills are inebriated...errrrr I mean inhibited (it's been a rough week or so at work with layoffs and some pretty major changes, so I'm trying to focus on my Jeeps to not think too much about the junk going on there...) :shake:

Sw2

... as a follow up ?, this pic is from an eBay XJ that I looked at to think about a Engine/Tranny Swap...

Anyhow, the console has a cupholder in a place that I havn't seen before... is this a "custom" thing, or an option on some XJ's?

I'd give my left one to have a solid cupholder....

99fd1tz2.jpg

... as a follow up ?, this pic is from an eBay XJ that I looked at to think about a Engine/Tranny Swap...

Anyhow, the console has a cupholder in a place that I havn't seen before... is this a "custom" thing, or an option on some XJ's?

99fd1tz2.jpg

That cupholder is an addon, and also one the makes using the ebrake hard(if you relocated the ebrake there).

The factory jeep cupholder sits off to the right side of the shifter assembly.

i got one off ebay and had it on for like a week. Felt kind of flimsy.

Back to the console install...you are going to have to cut the carpet a little, the brackets mount flush against the cab floor. Even tho its an XJ, the install should be about the same...i would think there are dimples where the brackets go:

When i put new carpet in, i didn't cut as much as that picture, just cut a small flap for each bracket so i could slide the bracket underneath the carpet. Screwed down the brackets, then dropped the flap back over top of the base of each bracket.

99fd1tz2.jpg

That cupholder is an addon, and also one the makes using the ebrake hard(if you relocated the ebrake there).

The factory jeep cupholder sits off to the right side of the shifter assembly.

Any idea where a fella can get his hands on that one that goes over the center ebrake location (I'm not planning on relocating mine)

The OEM cupholder shows to be PN 55115020 (item 32 in the image), and installs farther forward.

The aftermarket cupholder you show is a popular one, fits MJ, but made for XJ since

it has a slot in the front to clear the EB handle. I've got one and am very pleased

with it. Will not hold those jumbo drinks though.

The OEM cupholder shows to be PN 55115020 (item 32 in the image), and installs farther forward.

The aftermarket cupholder you show is a popular one, fits MJ, but made for XJ since

it has a slot in the front to clear the EB handle. I've got one and am very pleased

with it. Will not hold those jumbo drinks though.

As long as it holds my coffee cup for my long 1.5 mile drive to work, I'll be a HAPPY man...I can't tell how many times I've spilled that damn thing...

Wade -

My dealer used to stock those cupholders that fit on the center of the console. For an MJ, with no brake lever, I think they are DAR superior to the one that hangs off the side and always gets whacked by the passenger's knees.

Give a call to Todd or Tony at Bradshaw Jeep, 860-274-8834. I think Parts is extension 3

I know from my feeble search attempt that the heaterbox at the bottom of the dash in the middle will have to be removed and/or swapped (or trimmed) with one from an XJ that had the full console.

The XJ has an open box that directs air into a tube (#2 in the picture) and vents through the two little grills on the back corners of the console. That is for heat for back seat passengers.

Since MJs don't have back seats, you would want to close it off, or try to vent it to the sides for the driver/passenger feet. I haven't had my center console off to see what it looks like in an MJ, but we've had my buddy's XJ's off to trace down non working power seats. Turns out there's a wiring harness underneath the center console that had some contacts rotted away. Spliced in a jumper across the harness and presto.

But I'm getting off-topic here.

The XJ has an open box that directs air into a tube (#2 in the picture) and vents through the two little grills on the back corners of the console. That is for heat for back seat passengers.

Since MJs don't have back seats, you would want to close it off, or try to vent it to the sides for the driver/passenger feet. I haven't had my center console off to see what it looks like in an MJ, but we've had my buddy's XJ's off to trace down non working power seats. Turns out there's a wiring harness underneath the center console that had some contacts rotted away. Spliced in a jumper across the harness and presto.

But I'm getting off-topic here.

Never gets much below 40 degree's here, so heat is an afterthought most of the time anyhow... In fact, about 75 degrees and sunny today!