what kit is best

hmm. where to start....

the first kit is Old Man Emu...

I've not once seen an xj or mj nor any other vehicle running an ome.

I've heard almost nothing about them.

i've looked at their MJ rear suspension setup and rated it at a FAIL rating.

I've looked at their front suspension (as close as I can) and rate it slightly above Rusty's from what I can tell.

NONE of that is good in my book.

the second kit is a Rough Country lift kit.

for the money, you get Add-A-Leafs, no swaybar discos, and a trackbar and swaybar drop. the picture is misleading.

of the two, I'd choose Rough Country as a brand, BUT I would call RC direct and order direct instead. I would (for the money) order an XJ 4.5" front kit less rear components (except shocks...which should work for you with new spring perches), brake relocation brackets, and TC drop for around $400

http://roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_4.html

then the adj. trackbar for $100

some 1" front spring spacers (cheap) get some spring perches for the rear axle and SOA it (cheap) with new longer u-bolts. (cheap) then buy a set of YJ front brake hose and dodge dakota rear brake hose for $60 or so.

this will net you a full 5.5" lift for around $700-ish and allow you to set the proper pinion angle on your rear axle. this method requires a bit of welding, but not bad. you'll be much happier with this than anything else.

so is the rough country worth buying and antidisestablishmentarianism else would i need if i just use antidisestablishmentarianism comes in the kit??

I would NOT look at the kit you are looking at.

Call RC direct, ask for Justin (or it may be Jason...can't remember) and ask him what he can put together for you as a package deal that doesn't include the rear lift but does include shocks for a 4.5" lift + 1" spacers to make a 5.5" lift.

also state that you want an adjustable trackbar.

you may also decide to upgrade to adj. control arms, which is adviseable but you could get away with the ones that come with the kit for awhile.

I have RC 6.5" coils, adj. control arms, front 8000 shocks, rear xj 4.5" 8000 series shocks, and quick disconnects on my shortbed 87 comanche. my trackbar is an Rubicon Express HD trackbar with a reverse thread HEIM joint up top instead of a tie rod end. I SOA'd the rear axle to closely match (it's slightly lower) the 6.5" lift.

that whole deal was $250 for coils, RC trackbar and front shocks, $300 shipped for control arms, $free for rear shocks from a friend, and $20 or so for the quick discos used but still good, $60 for the trackbar used in great shape, the spring perches were free but let's say $20 for them, u-bolts were $7 each, 4 needed, and the tabs I used for the shock mounts were $3 each at 4 used.

that's $680 invested in the kit, but subtract $100 for the RC trackbar as I put it on a different project instead. then add around 65 bucks for the two YJ brake hoses and the dakota rear hose.

so, all told, $645 for the complete lift in my truck at 6.5" lift. and it flexes LIKE MAD.

IMHO, i would not buy either of those kits. For one you get what you pay for, which means the quality of either of these kits is going to be less than perfect. My philosophy is to do it right the first time instead of having to do it again after you realize you made a mistake. It will save you money in the long run and the quality will be much better.

My personal favorites are Rubicon Express and Motion Offroad. They are more expensive but they are definitely worth the investment in the long run.

http://motionoffroad.com/catalog/index. ... cts_id=208

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Products. ... 17DF253807

But if you must choose b/t Rough Country and Rocky Road, RC is the lesser of the two evils.

I'm just looking for a trail rig not to do hard core stuff thats why I'm looking for a cheapy lift thats why i ask of the two wats best andwat includes everything neededbut ill probally get a RE lift for my new Comanche this is just a project truck besides most stuff in AZ is just rocks and fear of bottoming out i plan on buying a better comanche that looks better and has a 4.0l then it will be worth every penny

Don't confuse high-dollar and high-quality with hard-core. A good kit will ride nice and perform nice under all situations, offroad or on (and good road-manners can be more difficult to achieve than offroad prowess). A good kit will install easily and properly and do it the first time with no modifications necessary. A good kit will not turn to rust after one winter. A good kit will contain all the parts necessary to do it right and not cut corners to simply achieve a lower up-front price. A good kit will leave you smiling the day you install it and still smiling 3 years later. :D

:agree: And with this kit you get the AAL's with it and they don't hold up for very long. A better solution for the AAL's would be to buy new leafs from someplace like Hell Creek Suspensions. From what I've heard they have very high quality leafs and are much better than AAL's.

The cheap kits running in the $450 - $550 range will lift your truck, but they are not going to be worth the money in the long run. To lift your truck properly with quality parts, you are going to spend at least $700 - $1000. I did mine with the 3.5" Rubicon Express Super Ride kit, added the upper control arms and used the 3" Hell Creek leaf springs. Rides great, looks good and sits level.

Out of the two kits asked about in the original post, I would choose the RC, but I would also add the upper control arms, adjustable track bar, leaf springs and get some good shocks as I am sure the ones they include are some cheap hydraulics and I would never run anything but gas shocks...especially on a lifted vehicle.

If money is going to be a deciding factor than you have a few choices;

1. Go with the cheapest kit you can find that has all that you need and don't look back.

2. Put off lifting the MJ until you've saved enough money to get a better quality lift.

3. Search the major Jeep forum sites on the web for deals on lift components. Craigslist is a great source too and ebay sometimes.(Picked up most of my MJs lift this way, most of it RE.) This may take some time but will save $$. With all the responses, you have a good idea of what you will need for a complete kit.

With the two choices that you have presented, I personally wouldn't buy from RRO because of my own dealings with them. The only good thing I see with their kit, is the OME coils, which in no way makes this an OME lift. OME makes good quality coils and shocks, which I believe are designed by ARB. They are the only company I've seen that sells different rated coils depending on your needs and quality of ride your looking for. As for the second one, refer to choice 1 above.

All in all it is up to you. Do your research about all the lifts and look how they rate throughout the jeep community. It took me 9 months to finally decide on the lift kit for my TJ.

Hope this helps a little and Good Luck with your decision.

:cheers:

ok then if i got wit the RC then antidisestablishmentarianism tools willi need and wats the difficulty 1-10 , 10 being the hardest :???:

A complete list of tools needed will be hard to do unless someone has recently done it and can remember exactly what they used. AIR TOOLS are a must in my book. If you have air tools, but have never done a lift before...I would rate it at a 6 or 7. If you do not have air tools and have never done a lift before then you are looking at 9 or 10. Those ratings are based on "physical" difficulty, but the understanding of how to install the parts is not usually terribly difficult and I would rate about a 4.

PB Blaster is a must have for this too :thumbsup:

I don't have air tools, but have never been stopped before. As said above, PB Blaster is a must have, as is a good quality 1/2" drive socket set with a breaker bar and a piece of pipe to slip over the breaker bar for a longer handle/more leverage.

Cheap sockets will often break, 1/2 to 3/8 reducers to use 3/8 drive sockets will too; the 3/8 square piece twists off...

I use Craftsman, I believe Matco and Cobalt are about the same quality, and Snap On and Mac are supposed to be better. Harbor Freight are lifetime warranty as well, but have no experience with them.