what gears would you pick?

its going to be my DD and also my 4x4 I'm going to put 33's on it and a tnt lift kit 5.5 would you recomend 3.73 or 4.11 with the facts ive told you it will see alot of highway also for i ive out in the boon's up here is mostly mud and clay and some sand in the summer with ons of snow in the winter

You could do it, but it's going to lack power and fuel economy will not be optimum.

BTW...you posted this same topic 4 times. You should go delete the other three before someone starts replying in them too. ;)

Don't know where you got that, but it's absolutely not true. The only way you red line a lot with 4.10 gears & 33's is if you run with your foot on the floor constantly. Here is a chart to give you an idea... Sorry it's not perfectly clear, but you can read it ;)

3.73 will allow you to wind out further if you are racing, but they will suck you acceleration power away and your MPG.

I completely disagree with auto suggested at 4.56's for a DD.

for a moderately daily-driven MJ that DOESN'T see much time on the interstate or at speeds in excess of 65mph, sure.

but

I run 4.10's and 33's with an extremely clean and well built 4.0 H.O. that's almost brand new yet and an aw-4 automatic.

my RPM's at 70 are 2750 and 3000 to 3500 betwen 75 and 85. no, I don't typically run faster than 75 but sometimes you do need to keep up with traffic.

3.73's would be acceptable to keep it in it's power-band at speeds of 60+ mph.

so, what's your typical "DD" drive? answer that, and we can give you some more complete answers to gear you to fit your driving style.

-Pat

I completely disagree with auto suggested at 4.56's for a DD.

for a moderately daily-driven MJ that DOESN'T see much time on the interstate or at speeds in excess of 65mph, sure.

but

I run 4.10's and 33's with an extremely clean and well built 4.0 H.O. that's almost brand new yet and an aw-4 automatic.

my RPM's at 70 are 2750 and 3000 to 3500 betwen 75 and 85. no, I don't typically run faster than 75 but sometimes you do need to keep up with traffic.

3.73's would be acceptable to keep it in it's power-band at speeds of 60+ mph.

so, what's your typical "DD" drive? answer that, and we can give you some more complete answers to gear you to fit your driving style.

-Pat

Either you're not getting overdrive or your torque converter isn't locking up. Or you have the wrong speedo gear.

With 4.10 gears and 33" tires, the RPMs at 70 MPH in overdrive should be about 2200. With 4.56 gears it would be 2450, and with 4.88s it would be 2600.

Which is nothing for that engine. Don't forget, that's the way the engine was originally designed. Most cars didn't have overdrive in 1964, when the original 232 (3.8L) version of that engine was introduced. I had a 1966 Rambler American with a three-speed manual. The gearing with stock tires worked out to 24 MPH per 1000 RPM, which meant that 60 MPH was 2500 RPM exactly, and 3000 RPM was a 72 MPH cruise. I sold mine long before it got tired, but my brother's 70 Gremlin with the same gearing was at 318,000 miles when we last got any feedback on it.

4 shifts = 4 gears.

of course, it may be entirely possible that I don't know how to work the torque converter lockup switch which was already installed in the harness :hmm: :nuts:

IF the RPMs you report are correct your AW4 is never seeing O/D. And if this is a D/D you don't need a torque converter lockup switch. This switch is not a factory "installed in the harness" option in the HO harness; it's an add-on.

4 shifts = 4 gears.

of course, it may be entirely possible that I don't know how to work the torque converter lockup switch which was already installed in the harness :hmm: :nuts:

IF the RPMs you report are correct your AW4 is never seeing O/D. And if this is a D/D you don't need a torque converter lockup switch. This switch is not a factory "installed in the harness" option in the HO harness; it's an add-on.

I'm well aware of the fact that it's an add-on. fellow club-member TNT added it on when he used to wheel the 95 XJ that was my donor.

I don't think it's not seeing 4th gear (OD) because I do have shifts from 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 with that truck. and my speedometer is calibrated at 1mph lower than actual speed, using a 34 tooth speedometer gear and comparing constant and varying speeds to a pair of different brand GPS at the same time.

is it possible that it's coming back out of OD? likely, but it would be a shift that I feel. the vehicle is getting 19mpg on the interstate though.

I apologize for the thread jack, though hopefully this info will apply.

Not sure. But I had a torque converter lockout switch installed on my rig by Hesco when I had a dyno run done a couple of years ago, and it came in and out of O/D randomly. It was wired into the POWER/COMFORT switch at the lower steering column (column shift) and the TCU wasn't involved at all. The brake switch also had an input to this switch. I did not like it, pulled it out, and sold it. There are several ways to wire a torque converter lockout switch in; I think the best way is directly to the #2 and #3 AW4 solinoids w. a manual bypass. Don't know how your is wired; I'd suggest you take it out, go back to the original AW4 control wiring, and see what happens.

Maybe the torque converter isn't engaging? A friend in NAXJA found that with his 89 XJ with AW4. He never noticed around town and going from home to Paragon, but when he hit the highway to Moab it was immediately obvious. He wired in an override switch to lock the torque converter IN, not to lock out the lockup.

I'm running 4:56's a AW4 and 33" tars. I really like to combo. Plenty of power and good economy.

I haven't driven on the highway lately so don't remember the RPM's @ 60. But it shifts into OD @ 42-43MPH and 1500RPMs just driving normally around town.

CW

Maybe the torque converter isn't engaging? A friend in NAXJA found that with his 89 XJ with AW4. He never noticed around town and going from home to Paragon, but when he hit the highway to Moab it was immediately obvious. He wired in an override switch to lock the torque converter IN, not to lock out the lockup.

lock-out, lock-in. same difference. It's certainly not locking it out, it is to lock it in in low gears.

I'm going to do the simpler route and test it...swap the trans. computer.