Lift Recommendation

I have a trail-only MJ that is presently lifted in the front with 4.5 coils and 3" spacers and in the rear with stock springs sprung over.

I want to lower the vehicle to 4.5 by removing the 3" spacers in the front, and putting a 44 MJ sprung-under rear axle in the rear.

I'm looking for a recommendation on 4.5 lifted rear springs. I've checked out Hell Creek and Motion Offroad's sites. Is one brand better than another for a trail-only rig? Also, this vehicle will get used for hauling firewood out from the trails as well as normal wheeling.

I have Motion Offroad's rear springs, and the 4.5" leafs should work good with the 4.5" coils. If you are going to haul firewood, they may have a heavy duty version with a higher spring rate, but you'd have to ask them.

no experience with Hell Creek.

They both have HD versions, check the load rating on both as I don't think they are the same. Check with Hornbrod on who he got his springs from. I know they have a high load rating, but what you'll need to check is if they have a 4.5" version as his are 3". FYI, Tom from HellCreek is a member here too, so you can just PM him, MO, and Hornbrod for some quick info. Keep us posted..........

I have a trail-only MJ that is presently lifted in the front with 4.5 coils and 3" spacers and in the rear with stock springs sprung over.

I want to lower the vehicle to 4.5 by removing the 3" spacers in the front, and putting a 44 MJ sprung-under rear axle in the rear.

I'm looking for a recommendation on 4.5 lifted rear springs. I've checked out Hell Creek and Motion Offroad's sites. Is one brand better than another for a trail-only rig? Also, this vehicle will get used for hauling firewood out from the trails as well as normal wheeling.

Hi Lynn!!

I would just get some SOA spring mounts for the MJ D44 and have them welded on ( I am sure Barry and Jim have something available in the way of spring mounts), and do a bastard rear leaf pack. XJ springs do not have as much arch to them, so I would remove a leaf per side and swap in the corresponding XJ leafs. Start from there and see how it works out. This would be much cheaper than getting entirely new rear leafs. Besides, this will give Tommy another project to tinker with too!!

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lynn!!

I would just get some SOA spring mounts for the MJ D44 and have them welded on ( I am sure Barry and Jim have something available in the way of spring mounts), and do a bastard rear leaf pack. XJ springs do not have as much arch to them, so I would remove a leaf per side and swap in the corresponding XJ leafs. Start from there and see how it works out. This would be much cheaper than getting entirely new rear leafs. Besides, this will give Tommy another project to tinker with too!!

Andy

Hey Andy. I'm gonna go with the Hell Creek springs. Tommy's busy enough with my broken rigs to mess around with swapping springs on this one. LOL. Next on the list is find an awesome winch bumper.

Hi Lynn!!

Andy

Hey Andy. I'm gonna go with the Hell Creek springs. Tommy's busy enough with my broken rigs to mess around with swapping springs on this one. LOL. Next on the list is find an awesome winch bumper.

Yeah, Tommy doesn't sit still for long up there, always plenty to do. As for a winch bumper, my favs are Rigid and AJ's Armor. I run a Rigid winch bumper on the XJ, it has seen some HEAVY pulls, and has held up well.

I could leave the truck as is (SOA) but I have other vehicles as tall or taller and I'd like this one to be more comfortable to get in and out multiple times during a trail ride. I've been dealing with knee and foot issues the past year, so the big lifts are killing me! And Dora my beagle hates them too!