Whats a good mud tire for a 2wd?

Do you want mud tires, or rain-on-pavement tires? "Mud" tires are designed with big, deep cleats, widely spaced, so they get a good grab in DEEP mud and throw the stuff out as they spin. They are good for ... deep mud, and they more or less suck for anything else.

If you're looking for decent tires for your daily driver, your best bet is either all-season tires or M+S tires.

Do you want mud tires, or rain-on-pavement tires? "Mud" tires are designed with big, deep cleats, widely spaced, so they get a good grab in DEEP mud and throw the stuff out as they spin. They are good for ... deep mud, and they more or less suck for anything else.

If you're looking for decent tires for your daily driver, your best bet is either all-season tires or M+S tires.

Well I need some winter tires so to say. I just can't really go anywhere without spinning. I'd like to be able to get to a spot in the woods to load some firewood. In the spring and summer I could just swap wheels.

For getting to a spot in the woods, I'd go for a pair of 31" swampers, either TSLs or bogger or the like. But it'd be a pain to swap them off for pavement every time.

What tires do you have now? Thought about swapping in a posi axle? Maybe one with a slightly better gear ratio? :brows:

For getting to a spot in the woods, I'd go for a pair of 31" swampers, either TSLs or bogger or the like. But it'd be a pain to swap them off for pavement every time.

What tires do you have now? Thought about swapping in a posi axle? Maybe one with a slightly better gear ratio? :brows:

Oh yes,, I have a 4:10 D35 in mind,, not posi though... Swampers are too aggressive, Just need a set of old farm truck mud tires. I'm guessing the same size as the ones on it now. Not sure what I am running now, something that I got from a XJ, and pretty much a highway tire. Maybe a BFG M/t or something, but without the BFG price.

i would think old farm truck mud tires would equal a swamper as far as drivability with less performance. there are lots of off brand m/ts that are nice, you just need to look

Yeah but not much lookin online other then for high priced rubber.. Need to get out to a few tire places. :ack:

EDIT: Just thinking a old farm truck tire because of hauling some weight..

Mud tiresw absolutely suck in snow and ice, and generally on pavement. The cleats typically aren't siped (or aren't well siped), and siping is what you need for street (and ice) traction. Mud tires have big, open cleats in order to throw out the mud. That doesn't work well for snow. The best snow tires are built on the theory that nothing sticks better to snow than snow, so the cleats and sipes are designed to RETAIN snow, so the snow in the tires will stick to the snow under the tires and generate traction.

The two types of tires are more or less mutually exclusive. If you want the best of both worlds, go with a fairly standard A/T tire or a M+S tire.

Hmmm, my buddy got MT tires for his Dakota to use in snow, secretary uses MTs on her F250 for use in snow mud and horse crap (she has horses), and the tire place I usually go to uses MT in the winter in their personal trucks.

I was of the same opinion as them that any aggressive tire should be okay as they can dig through fluffy stuff down to the pavement, and pack down the wet stuff sticking the cleats into it to get traction there.

Then again, I myself do the opposite, using snow tires not only in snow, but for mud as well. And aired down a bit so they flex they clean relatively well of mud with a bit of spinning. But that also means I have no personal experience with MT tires in snow. Theory and opinion don't mean much without real world experience.

My snow tires:

I used these same tires on my 2wd F100 with great results. The brand is Wintermark. They come in common car sizes, up to P235/75R15 and that one size is available in standard as well as extra load rating.

Thanks guys.. All this talk about snow... What is snow?? :hmm:

We, in North Cakalacky, don't get no snow..... :teehee:

I havent had a chance to get to the tire place. Theres a shop kinda aways form me, but the owner has been a real good friend of the family since even before I was even born, who does us good on tires and such. The guy is/was a farmer with my peep paw.(that'd be my Grandfather for yous up above By God WV) and he works with alot of farmers around here. I was planning on going there and having a sit down with Ol' Mr. Harrill and see what we can come up with. I just need two for the rear, shouldn't cost too much .. :dunno:

I may go talk with him today. Thanks again fellows.. :bowdown:

firestone destination m/t's them things are awesome my cousin has them on his explorer and it does not spin tires at all and there awesome in mud stuff we use to go threw in 4x4 we do in 2wd we gotta find new muddin places because its not even challenging anymore. thats what I'm putting on mine soon

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... tion+M%2FT

Well got me some free tires today from the scrap yard.. :banana: Did I mention they were free??? :D :D :banana:

The place is a scrapyard/junkyard I always go and get some Jeep parts from. Saw them sitting on the floor asked him whats those fit.. The wheels are on a Ford/CJ lug pattern, so I said oh well... He said I could have the tires if I brought the wheels back.. I said Well ok!!! (duh...)

They are Cooper Discoverer Radial STT the same size as the ones I have now.

Here's what the tread looks like. They aren't new, but I think they'll work for what I need them too...

banner-3694.jpg

|

|

|

|

|

V

----> SO now........... They are 6 ply with a load rating of C.

Is that good for hauling wood??? Don't want to go and blow one out hauling some splinters.......

A C load rating is the lowest rating LT, but still thicker than a 4 play rated P tire.

I think you'll be fine, as you will hit the limit on your suspension before the limit on the tires. The maximum load rating (per tire) should be printed on the sidewall.