what should i do!?!

f1tbiker6

keep or sell?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. keep or sell?

• keep and and convert.
    • sell it for something else.

ive got two options:

option one: get my comanche converted to 4wd, with an 8.8 in the back and a dana 30 up front both locked up and re-geared to 4.56, with a full drive line from an xj, with a manual transmisson. and the front lifted another 1.75 inches to level it out. could cost between 5k and 7k. labor fee's suck!

option two: sell the comanche as is (2wd), and find an already built jeep wrangler or cherokee with appropriate gears, axles, bumpers, skids, lift components, and all in all in better condtion, for around 4 to 5k, and have money left over to add mroe to it, or save. here's a few ive looked at.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/957758497.html

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/956255142.html

i love my 1989 comanche but I'm affraid it won't last long enough for that price of a conversion to be worth it.

If you have to pay someone to do that work then you are probably better off selling it and buying something else as described. If you could do the work yourself...it could be done for 1/3 the price you are talking about...or less.

I have a nice '95 Wrangler for sale...but, there is no way that it will ever sell for only $4 or $5000 ;) .

If you have to pay someone to do that work then you are probably better off selling it and buying something else as described. If you could do the work yourself...it could be done for 1/3 the price you are talking about...or less.

I have a nice '95 Wrangler for sale...but, there is no way that it will ever sell for only $4 or $5000 ;) .

i wish we had the equiptment to do the work ourselves! or the time.

I didn't have much of any tools for heavy vehicular surgery when I decided to build up my 88. So I bought them. And I still don't have a welder. Didn't stop me from building my own. :thumbsup: And mine is a lot more, um, custom than yours will be given your criteria. I still haven't done an engine swap though. I've pulled a couple, but haven't installed one yet. It's on my to-do list. :D Gear setup I'd still leave to a pro.

Buy:

-3 ton jack and a 2 ton jack

at least 6 jackstands, I like a mix of heights; 3 ton, 4 ton and 6 ton (I also have a pair of 12 tons)

-folding engine hoist (if installing an engine)

-ratchet straps

-hand tools

-big hammer, at least a 3 pound sledge

-angle grinder

-sawzall

-and other things I'm forgetting, if you really need a list, we can provide you with more details :thumbsup:

Spend some money on tools and learn how to do it yourself, you will appricate your work much more plus you will know how fix it when something goes wrong.

BTW there 2 4x4 MJs on craigslist (MD) right now for less then $2500

for 5-grand you could buy a very badass comanche.

you could convert your to 4x4 using junk yard parts for about $500.

then find someone to do your gears.

I'm getting an 8.8 re built from the shop, and a dana 30. both locked and regeared. either way if i convert it or sell it, i will be driving something with better axles then something from a junkyard.

for 5-grand you could buy a very badass comanche.

you could convert your to 4x4 using junk yard parts for about $500.

then find someone to do your gears.

I'm getting an 8.8 re built from the shop, and a dana 30. both locked and regeared. either way if i convert it or sell it, i will be driving something with better axles then something from a junkyard.

OK.

they, like you, are going to start with junkyard axles.

junkyard axles, you'd have $400 into AT MOST to purchase them. I'd lean towards around $300 for a complete dana 30 and a complete ford 8.8 with 4.10's in the 8.8 (common) and discs on it.

from there, if you get a drill and a wire wheel, you can wire brush the absolute piss out of the axles, and get them perfectly clean.

cost: $5

then YOU remove the unit bearings and axleshafts (easy...buy the proper large socket for $5, and a cheapo breaker bar for $10-$20, and a 12 point 1/2" socket, and one long crobar), then YOU buy the discs, wheel bearings, Ball joints, and ujoints. then paint the axles

cost: $425 MAX

then, take the dana 30 and the 8.8 in.

have them re-gear the dana 30 to 4.10's (that is, if you don't already have them), install the new ujoints in the shafts, ball joints, and wheel bearings.

have them put new wheel bearings on the 8.8 as well, and install a locker if you'd like.

cost: unknown. it should not be more than $300-$600. it will vary upon location and shop.

you have both axles done for between $1000 and $1500. and now you have the tools to repair your front axleshafts in the event of trail damage.

I know you want 4.56's, but to be honest, if you cannot do the conversion, you'd probably be in over your head with the size tire and amount of power the 4.56's will give you compared to the cheaper 4.10 option...

for the rest of the conversion. well, we're all here waiting to help you in any way we can. I'm sure a local would loan you an engine hoist, or help you with removing and installing parts...make a wrench-athon, you supply the food and beer, and guys will come running to help.

cost: less than $2000 for the complete parts cherokee, parts to reseal the motor, and food to feed the moochers...er...good-willing helpers.

there you have 3000 invested in the swap, you still have an MJ that's sick as hell, and you're happy because now you have an EXTRA $4000 to spend on something else (such as another MJ :brows: )

KEEP IT!! Doing all the manual work on your manche, such as lifitng it or making it 4wd is what makes MJ's so awesome and rewarding. And if you do it yourselft it costs much less as others have already said. When I first got mine, I immeddiately fell in love, and I would not sell mine for anything. And think about it, if you sell it, it will become much harder to find another one as good as yours in the future.

And as most of us if not everyone on here can tell you how good and reliable the 4.0 is. I don't think you will have to worry about it not lasting a long time, because it will. Although if you must sell it, I might be willing to take it off your hands and keep it in good shape if you ever want it back in the future. :D

Where do you think they got the axles from? I have a 44 front from the junkyard, I'm also building a rear 44 I got from the junkyard for $60. I'd say almost everyone here uses parts from the junkyard when available.

These prices are based on what my yard charges me.

HP 30 with 4.10's - $100

8.8 (disc brake) 4.10's and LSD -$100

AX-15 - $200

NP231 - $100

Front and Rear Shafts - $100

M.O.R.E. 8.8 kit and e-brake kit - $325

Have someone do the welding on the 8.8 for you and the rest of the parts are all direct swaps. (more or less on the ax-15) Throw in a few dollars here and there to replace any worn parts. So for less than $1500 you could build a badass Jeep from the junkyard.

Where do you think they got the axles from? I have a 44 front from the junkyard, I'm also building a rear 44 I got from the junkyard for $60. I'd say almost everyone here uses parts from the junkyard when available.

These prices are based on what my yard charges me.

HP 30 with 4.10's - $100

8.8 (disc brake) 4.10's and LSD -$100

AX-15 - $200

NP231 - $100

Front and Rear Shafts - $100

M.O.R.E. 8.8 kit and e-brake kit - $325

Have someone do the welding on the 8.8 for you and the rest of the parts are all direct swaps. (more or less on the ax-15) Throw in a few dollars here and there to replace any worn parts. So for less than $1500 you could build a badass Jeep from the junkyard.

i hate to admit this, but i honestly can not do the conversion on my own. I'm 17 and know a little more then the basics, and my dad knows most about jeeps, as he has one him self, but he does not trust himself to be able to successfully do this conversion.

the parts for the swap i already have figured out price wise, and trust me, there only a little more then the prices you listed, along with some new parts.

I WOULD LOVE TO DO THE CONVERSION ON MY OWN WITH MY DAD! but he and i agree that we don't think we can handle it (spacewise also). I'm going to call up some buddys who may have the knowlege and equiptment needed to do it. then possibly ill just buy all the parts of the shop, and we will try and tackle the conversion on our own...

quick question. seems like some people on here say i should stick with 4.10 gears? and i would more likely get into trouble on the trails with 4.56 gears? i just want to know what would cause more trouble?

4.10s and 4.56s would both be fine on the street and the trail. 4.10s would be cheaper/easier since you can get them ready to go from the junkyards.

And you CAN do this yourself. There was a first time for all of us. It's simply a matter of gathering some tools, gathering some info, and taking your time to follow the steps. Space is a concern though, but many members here have done similar conversions in one car garages, in driveways, or even on the gravel/dirt next to the house. :thumbsup: Don't sell yourself short. jamminz.gif

I remember seeing a burgundy Comanche in the for sale forum a while back that was completely built with 8.8/locker front 44/locker bumpers 35's and so on...If I'm not mistaken( because I'm too lazy to look for it :D ) they only wanted like 5500 for it. I'm not sure if its still for sale or not but just saying. You can find very well built Comanches for what you are going to spend on a wrangler.

I'm 16 ive done an axle swap before by my self you gotta start somewhere right? i just started checking things out unbolting and it was out in like 2 hrs and the next day i put the new axel in 4 hrs. it aint hard, jus get some buddys and do it. I'm doin a 4wd swap on my new comanche soon.