I need a good economical chainsaw....

jtdesigns

Buy an Echo with a 16" bar. Their easy on fuel & a 16" will whack a 32" diameter tree blocking your way. Or by an electric (they suck) with a long cord & pack a portable generator in your rig. Oh, and Echo's are really lightweight.

Yes lightweight is good very good.... ...... ...... electric :shake: :rotfl2:

Northern Tool has some good deals on Polan's.. Any thoughts?

From what I understand Poulan and Craftsman are the same (use the same parts). I have a Craftsman and a Husquavarna. I have to tell you the Husqu is better but the Craftsman does the job. Never had any issue with it. Easy to start and handle. Cleared my lot with it when building my house. Husq sometimes is hard to start. Mix ratio has alot to do with it.

now I'm not a total supporter of buying a chainsaw from walmart but awhile ago my dad bought a poulin "predator" for under $150 from walmart it either has a 16 or 18 inch bar not sure at the moment but it starts everytime and does what i need it to do. a few years back he had a craftsman and its identical to the walmart poulin he picked up. oh and if you do get the "predator" it has neon green and red graphics. they are pretty sweet.

now I'm not a total supporter of buying a chainsaw from walmart but awhile ago my dad bought a poulin "predator" for under $150 from walmart it either has a 16 or 18 inch bar not sure at the moment but it starts everytime and does what i need it to do. a few years back he had a craftsman and its identical to the walmart poulin he picked up. oh and if you do get the "predator" it has neon green and red graphics. they are pretty sweet.

For a new saw, get a Stihl, Husqu, or a Poulan. Those are all great saws. I have a 2 yr old Stihl that gets the job done and is dependable, but lacks power IMO. I also have a 70s Mccolloch (sp?) pro-mac 10-10 and although it is not dependable due to its age, it is the most powerful and fastest cut I have seen out of a saw yet, the downside to that saw is that is that it is VERY heavy. If your going used I would suggest another Mac but the new ones are, well... :ack:

For a new saw, get a Stihl, Husqu, or a Poulan. Those are all great saws. I have a 2 yr old Stihl that gets the job done and is dependable, but lacks power IMO. I also have a 70s Mccolloch (sp?) pro-mac 10-10 and although it is not dependable due to its age, it is the most powerful and fastest cut I have seen out of a saw yet, the downside to that saw is that is that it is VERY heavy. If your going used I would suggest another Mac but the new ones are, well... :ack:

I'd love to have a new Stihl, but I just can't afford it, even used ones go for over $200 :eek:

Same with Husqvarna...

The seller just told me the Echo I linked too, was just sold today.. Bummer.. :(

I guess I'll just have to use my old ax until I find something..... :ack:

On a side note, I went to walmart tonight and looked at their models, asked them about that Predator one, but their out and not getting any more till March...... :hmm: But I did pick up a sledge... They were out of wedges though.. :nuts:

I'd love to have a new Stihl, but I just can't afford it, even used ones go for over $200 :eek:

Same with Husqvarna...

The seller just told me the Echo I linked too, was just sold today.. Bummer.. :(

I guess I'll just have to use my old ax until I find something..... :ack:

On a side note, I went to walmart tonight and looked at their models, asked them about that Predator one, but their out and not getting any more till March...... :hmm: But I did pick up a sledge... They were out of wedges though.. :nuts:

I've got the poulan wild thing. It's been a great saw. Has never let me down and after awhile you find the tricks of keeping the chain tight. I still have to tighten it but not near as much.

Here's lowes add. http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none

Well, mine is the wild thing as well, and please share the secret for keeping the chain tight :bowdown:

I've got the poulan wild thing. It's been a great saw. Has never let me down and after awhile you find the tricks of keeping the chain tight. I still have to tighten it but not near as much.

Well, mine is the wild thing as well, and please share the secret for keeping the chain tight :bowdown:

That's what I have too. I keep buying new chains...even the expensive ones thinking that it was the chain stretching because I didn't buy a good one, but they still will not stay tight for more than 5-6 cuts... :shake:

That's what I have too. I keep buying new chains...even the expensive ones thinking that it was the chain stretching because I didn't buy a good one, but they still will not stay tight for more than 5-6 cuts... :shake:

The poulan saws are good but they do make two lines. The green poulan saws are the homeowner line and are the lesser versions perfect for occasional use. If you are going to use the saw on a more regular basis look into the poulan pro saws ( yellow in color). They are manufactured with better engine internals and are designed for more use. Lowes and homw depot used to sell one with a 16" bar for about $130.00.